Empire Veteran
# 1 PvP etiquette?
08-05-2012, 10:45 PM
I've starting doing some research, reading threads, etc around here. Maybe I missed it, but:

What's the etiquette, unwritten rules, and so on that is generally a part of PvP?

I'd like to learn of course, so when I get into it more, I won't be ticking anybody off, at least in my interactions with fellow PvPers.

Just doing my best to learn of course.

Captain
# 2
08-05-2012, 11:21 PM
It's pretty much a dog-eat-dog world. If it's in the game engine, people can and will use (and abuse) it.
Captain
# 3
08-05-2012, 11:22 PM
I personally find fireworks offensive. Both because they have no reason, second because it's meant to lag the opponent on slower machine.
Empire Veteran
# 4
08-06-2012, 12:05 AM
I will not abuse you nor will i send you foul messages but its like this kill me or i kill you simples
Career Officer
# 5
08-06-2012, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
I've starting doing some research, reading threads, etc around here. Maybe I missed it, but:

What's the etiquette, unwritten rules, and so on that is generally a part of PvP?

I'd like to learn of course, so when I get into it more, I won't be ticking anybody off, at least in my interactions with fellow PvPers.

Just doing my best to learn of course.
Really no rules... Best advice is to step carefully for a while, cause we have some people in here who have a serious grasp on how STO/PvP works, and you may ruin your credibility by not listening to them

Or if you don't care about your credibility, just follow the few others down that path...
Lieutenant
# 6
08-06-2012, 02:35 AM
The real question is how good / polite a player do you want to be?

So far season 6 has been a blast the devs added some great bugs for us to play with so it's down to you as a player do decide if you want to use skills and abilities that you know are overpowered or just plain broken even if another player uses them on you.

Or at least try the "you AMS'd first noob rule"
Make It STO Podcast Click Here
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
08-06-2012, 02:44 AM
Laws of honour (not specific to PVP and broken daily by maulers and battle packs)

1 thou shalt not spawn camp
2 thou shalt not turn about (take turns to lose)
3 thou shalt not rig matches or games
4 a member of your guild/clan/fleet on the other team Dies FIRST
5 if someone has to go to the bathroom do not shoot them while they are gone
6 Hiding in the scenery (glitch abuse) is cowardice
7 he who speaks the word PWNED must die by the hand of his own team for dishonouring his team
8 There is no greater dishonour than to team someone who calls for a fair fight.
9 if you are an organised team up against irregulars it is down to you to explain the codes before the battle
10 the winning side says "Good game" or "better luck next time" the losing team says "Well done"
if ANYONE says Owned , pwned , rolled , beasted etc the winners default
Career Officer
# 8
08-06-2012, 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalnar83 View Post
I personally find fireworks offensive. Both because they have no reason, second because it's meant to lag the opponent on slower machine.

If I had known that was what was slowing down the respawn rate on you guys I'd have never used the darn thing! My bad.
If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.
Captain
# 9
08-06-2012, 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thissler View Post
If I had known that was what was slowing down the respawn rate on you guys I'd have never used the darn thing! My bad.
Run away Thissler, while you can.
Empire Veteran
# 10
08-06-2012, 03:43 AM
my rule is if you beat someone, do it honorably. no i win buttons, no bugged abilities, no cheap crippling doffs and PTW combos that put someone at an automatic disadvantage or takes away someones ability to fight back. are these things legitimate? sure, but its a mater of self respect, i wouldn't feel good or satisfied attaining a victory using such tactics.

i have mixed feelings on some of the things i use, but i can live with them, id be basically ineffective without them. the glider, buffed with flow cap consoles makes a big difference, at least when i use it im not using shield hp consoles so there is a trade off. the borg set is a cheap super heal, but everyone is using 1 of these sets or the other and your simply not in the same league without 1 of them.

i feel sort of bad loading up on snares, having EWP and TB on the same ship. who doesn't HATE being held like that. at least its a player doing it to you and not a thrice damned pet.

doffs really throw the game for a loop. distro doffs are simply insane in their full effectiveness, and other doffs remove the need to run multiple powers of the same type. they have also taken quite a few skills out of obscurity, for better or for worse. they are gear that is more important then what engine, deflector and shield you run now. i disprove of a lot of them, but being so widely available they simply raised the baseline, not using them is not an option.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus