Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 205
# 21
08-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolight View Post
Mostly the same isn't the same as exactly the same. If I were trusting a machine to send my molecules to an alien planet or even just to a starbase, I'd definitely want it to be the latest and presumably most modern version possible.
Definitely. However, maybe the technology is exactly the same, just the effect is different. Think of the in-game standard and TOS phasers. Different look, same tech.

If the transporter FX ever becomes selectable, I expect the first varieties available will be those from the series, i.e. Starfleet from ENT, TOS, TNG (series + Nemesis) and VOY.

As far as I remember, the game code allows for colour change only, so far. (Compare the current in-game transporter effects, they should look all the same but for colour.)
Leipzig University, 1409-2409
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 103
# 22
08-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
This will likely be an unpopular stance, but I actually think there is such a thing as too much customization. In the universe of our game, Starfleet would surely have a technology standard, and all Starfleet vessels would be using the same transporter technology (or at least within a firmware update or two.)
You really want to go there? Starflet would have a technology standard for their ships as well. We wouldn't be mix matching classes like we are now. Starfleet would also have a Uniform standard. Starfleet would also have a standard when it comes to the type or weapon systems we use both in space and on teh ground. The maintenance alone on multiple types of weapons, to say nothing of the power requirments for each being completely different, would be a nightmare.

Yes it makes sense for Starfleet to have a tech standard but that ship has long since sailed.
This thread needs more dancing girls.

Master using it and you can have this!

Be black on the right side. Add properly colored Cheron to the game today!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,103
# 23
08-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpthomasmarik View Post
You really want to go there? Starflet would have a technology standard for their ships as well. We wouldn't be mix matching classes like we are now. Starfleet would also have a Uniform standard. Starfleet would also have a standard when it comes to the type or weapon systems we use both in space and on teh ground. The maintenance alone on multiple types of weapons, to say nothing of the power requirments for each being completely different, would be a nightmare.

Yes it makes sense for Starfleet to have a tech standard but that ship has long since sailed.
Yuppers, canon has been out the window since the game basically started.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Banned
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 63
# 24
08-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpthomasmarik View Post
You really want to go there? Starflet would have a technology standard for their ships as well. We wouldn't be mix matching classes like we are now. Starfleet would also have a Uniform standard. Starfleet would also have a standard when it comes to the type or weapon systems we use both in space and on teh ground. The maintenance alone on multiple types of weapons, to say nothing of the power requirments for each being completely different, would be a nightmare.

Yes it makes sense for Starfleet to have a tech standard but that ship has long since sailed.
Tumberboy's post is just a typical example of the contradictory logic the dev team uses. Whenever *they* want to do something that doesnt technically make sense, they come up with a lame excuse about a group of engineers wanting to build a replica of an NX or people getting to choose their own uniforms in STO's time period. But if its something we're asking for that they *dont* want to do, suddenly they pretend like things should make sense. It is a blatantly obvious double standard.
Cryptic Studios Team
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,133
# 25
08-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpthomasmarik View Post
You really want to go there? Starflet would have a technology standard for their ships as well. We wouldn't be mix matching classes like we are now. Starfleet would also have a Uniform standard. Starfleet would also have a standard when it comes to the type or weapon systems we use both in space and on teh ground. The maintenance alone on multiple types of weapons, to say nothing of the power requirments for each being completely different, would be a nightmare.

Yes it makes sense for Starfleet to have a tech standard but that ship has long since sailed.
I don't disagree. Starfleet would have standards for all of those things. I think it's reasonable to sacrifice some standards for enjoyability of a game like this, where the choice is a much more personal level, like which ship you fly, or which costume you wear. For something you, your personal character, would have no direct control over (such as transporters) I think it is less reasonable.

But, this is my personal opinion, and has no bearing on anything that goes on in reality. This isn't something I have any control over, and is not something that I would expect to see.



Quote:
Originally Posted by sp4cecomm4nder View Post
Tumberboy's post is just a typical example of the contradictory logic the dev team uses. Whenever *they* want to do something that doesnt technically make sense, they come up with a lame excuse about a group of engineers wanting to build a replica of an NX or people getting to choose their own uniforms in STO's time period. But if its something we're asking for that they *dont* want to do, suddenly they pretend like things should make sense. It is a blatantly obvious double standard.
This is no double standard, this is my personal opinion, that is all. What I want has nothing to do with what happens, and if other devs feel that chooseable transporter FX are important, they will make it happen.

On another note, Star Trek is filled with hand wavey nonsense to rationalize the existence or lack of existence of something. Movies, games, TV shows and others do this kind of stuff all the time. I don't know why STO should be held to a different standard. While I would love it if everything made perfect sense in game, it obviously does not, and never will. :::shrug:::
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy



Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?

Last edited by tacofangs; 08-06-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Banned
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 63
# 26
08-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
This is no double standard, this is my personal opinion, that is all. What I want has nothing to do with what happens, and if other devs feel that chooseable transporter FX are important, they will make it happen.
Are you designing this game for yourselves or for the players? If the former, then please let us know now so we can stop wasting time making requests. But if the latter, then what the players want should be more important than whether you or someone else on the team may personally want customizable transporters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
On another note, Star Trek is filled with hand wavey nonsense to rationalize the existence or lack of existence of something. Movies, games, TV shows and others do this kind of stuff all the time. I don't know why STO should be held to a different standard. While I would love it if everything made perfect sense in game, it obviously does not, and never will. :::shrug:::
If that is the logic you want to use, then fine. But that means we could also come up with an equally "hand wavey nonsense" excuse to rationalize why different transporters may look differently. You just said yourself, there is no double standard. So if you are ok with "hand wavey nonsense" then you cant suddenly not be ok with it.

Last edited by sp4cecomm4nder; 08-06-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 987
# 27
08-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp4cecomm4nder View Post
Are you designing this game for yourselves or for the players? If the former, then please let us know now so we can stop wasting time making requests. But if the latter, then what the players want should be more important than whether you or someone else on the team may personally want customizable transporters.
TacoFangs' paygrade doesn't extend to making decisions; only to doing the work that is assigned to him.
Banned
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 63
# 28
08-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
TacoFangs' paygrade doesn't extend to making decisions; only to doing the work that is assigned to him.
That same statement *should* apply to all of the devs except the upper management. But he said:

Quote:
if other devs feel that chooseable transporter FX are important, they will make it happen.
So unless he was only referring to Dan and Jack, it sounds like he is giving other team members more decision making power than they really have.

Last edited by sp4cecomm4nder; 08-06-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,593
# 29
08-06-2012, 02:03 PM
I asked about this in last months Question and answer thread
I got an answer

it was a "maybe" to my flip top communicator
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 987
# 30
08-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp4cecomm4nder View Post
That same statement *should* apply to all of the devs except the upper management. But he said:



So unless he was only referring to Dan and Jack, it sounds like he is giving other team members more decision making power than they really have.
Or Al Rivera. Or Whoever the lead artist is.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:57 PM.