Commander
It's been said that Season 7 will bring us a level cap increase with a "Personal Advancement" system allowing to coordinate an "away team" (task force) of ships commanded by your BOffs. GOOD. (Thinking of Picard's tachyon blockade of the Klingon-Romulan border)

This will go along with a rank increase to Fleet Admiral and Dahar Master, respectively. BAD.

--> Please, dear Devs, both titles are something VERY special in Starfleet and the KDF. They should NOT be 10s of 1000s of them running around... (And please spare me the "You can deactivate your title" argument^^)

What's coming for Season 8, ha? We all get promoted to Federation President/Chancellors of the Klingon High Council?! Where is this supposed to end?

Make the final rank a plain and simple "Captain", no matter what level is associated with it... (Picard and Sisko commanded task forces on various occasions, as CAPTAINS. Dax, Worf and Data even commanded ships in those task forces as Lt. Cmdrs.)

Please tell us that you are at least "considering" this After all, CBS might inquire how you justify Starfleet consisting mostly of Fleet Admirals -.-

Stay true to your commitment of making this game MORE and not less "trekky".

Last edited by kagasensei; 08-07-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Career Officer
# 2
08-06-2012, 06:37 AM
I can definitely understand and sympathize with your objection, but I think the two go hand in hand.

If you try to promote your BOff to Captain, it says you need to be at "Admiral" level. Since, I'm assuming that's the next rank after Vice Admiral (after Admiral comes Fleet Admiral which would be the highest rank so far), it doesn't seem possible for us to dismiss our current BOffs and have them command ships of their own (i.e. a fleet) until we can officially promote them far enough so that they would no longer have to serve under us.

Again, I can see where you're coming from, but, if I remember correctly, when the devs were talking about promoting people to Vice Admiral and Brigadier General, the same complaints were registered. Though it seems that, by now, everyone's accepted it. I'm thinking the same thing will eventually happen with the new promotions.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BuffyFanForever/Misc%20Pics/CustomSizeforSTOSignatureImagesSelection3.jpg
Commander
# 3
08-06-2012, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmanforever365 View Post
I can definitely understand and sympathize with your objection, but I think the two go hand in hand.

If you try to promote your BOff to Captain, it says you need to be at "Admiral" level. Since, I'm assuming that's the next rank after Vice Admiral (after Admiral comes Fleet Admiral which would be the highest rank so far), it doesn't seem possible for us to dismiss our current BOffs and have them command ships of their own (i.e. a fleet) until we can officially promote them far enough so that they would no longer have to serve under us.
Data took temporary command of the Sutherland, Jadzia Dax and Worf frequently commanded the Defiant...

You do NOT need a "Captain" to command one of your task force's ships...

BTW: Next annoying point: ALL bridge officer crews in STO consist almost entirely of Commanders... very credible as well XD
The Devs (which I REALLY admire BTW), should revive their old idea of adding special sub-Commander abilities, thereby giving an incentive to have Ensigns, Lieutenants etc. among your BOffs

The whole rank system in STO is... bizarre...

Quote:
Again, I can see where you're coming from, but, if I remember correctly, when the devs were talking about promoting people to Vice Admiral and Brigadier General, the same complaints were registered. Though it seems that, by now, everyone's accepted it. I'm thinking the same thing will eventually happen with the new promotions.

Cryptic has to be cautious with bending canon as far as they deem fit, though... the more "untrekky" this game gets, the more long-term players (which are almost exclusively Trek-fans) will slowly but surely look for alternatives... Sooner or later those alternatives will present themselves...
The more trekky this game gets, on the other hand, the tighter long-term players will get bound to STO. Simple deduction.

Last edited by kagasensei; 08-06-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 4
08-06-2012, 06:58 AM
I would prefer the addition of a Lieutenant Junior Grade, add in new ships in that rank and push everything else up a rank. Also give the Rear Admirals/Major General's a full 10 levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Commander
# 5
08-06-2012, 08:57 AM
Ok. Again you speak for one side of this debate. I am a huge fan of STAR TREK, but I happen to like the U.S. NAVY more. So I would rather be Admiral then stuck at Captain.

Also, you must remember that the story of STO is the story of your person. You are the only Vice admiral, the other players are not in your timeline. This is one of the reasons the Devs do not have a problem with promoting.
Kyle
Delta Fleet Command
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
08-06-2012, 09:04 AM
How about

(per account)

1 fleet admiral
1 VA
2 RA's
unlimited lower ranks

anyone under RA can't be promoted if you have a character blocking the slot

OR make level 51 "Demoted to captain"
and levels 51-10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000
CAPTAIN
so you get to va and can either RETIRE or revert
Commander
# 7
08-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylesal24 View Post
Ok. Again you speak for one side of this debate. I am a huge fan of STAR TREK, but I happen to like the U.S. NAVY more. So I would rather be Admiral then stuck at Captain.

Also, you must remember that the story of STO is the story of your person. You are the only Vice admiral, the other players are not in your timeline. This is one of the reasons the Devs do not have a problem with promoting.
Kyle
This would hold true or be credible if STO was a single-player game. However, the very purpose of MMOs is the interaction with and relation to other players.

Discounting the fact that other player characters are occupying the game world with you just eludes any prupose a discussion about MMOs and Star Trek could have.
Commander
# 8
08-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
How about

(per account)

1 fleet admiral
1 VA
2 RA's
unlimited lower ranks

anyone under RA can't be promoted if you have a character blocking the slot

OR make level 51 "Demoted to captain"
and levels 51-10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000
CAPTAIN
so you get to va and can either RETIRE or revert
Well, it's not about how many VAs or FAs a single account can have, but how many of them are occupying the game world... and the lack of credibility (and therefore unnecessary lack of immersion) resulting from that.
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
08-06-2012, 09:15 AM
But as ALL power gamers , pvpers and serious roleplayers would then want to be captains (for various reasons ) VA's would die out
Commander
# 10
08-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
But as ALL power gamers , pvpers and serious roleplayers would then want to be captains (for various reasons ) VA's would die out
Leave the boring office jobs (rear/vice/fleet admirals) to all the NPCs of that rank we already have in game (Quinn, T'nae etc. etc.). Admirals are mission givers, endbosses, you name it. CAPTAINS do the work, have the adventures. Can't remember any Trek show focusing on an Admiral of any kind... (Except for Wrath of Khan, but Kirk is glad to be demoted in Voyage Home) It's about the CAPTAINS!

Kirk to CAPTAIN Picard: "Don't let them promote you! Don't let them do ANYTHING that gets you out of that chair, 'cause as long as you are there, you can make a difference!"

Last edited by kagasensei; 08-06-2012 at 09:22 AM.