Career Officer
# 11
08-06-2012, 08:23 AM
I disagree with op only because what he is opposed to was my idea originally that I proposed for the FA rank. Not that I do not respect the view point I just feel as if that ship sailed a long time ago with the vice admiral rank.

I am more concerned with eposonic content between season 6 and 7 or sto will a very lonely universe. This also means no time gated content that is just ridiculous, for those of us who are subsribers who actually pay to play.

Last edited by palpha2clearance; 08-06-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagasensei View Post
Leave the boring office jobs (rear/vice/fleet admirals) to all the NPCs of that rank we already have in game (Quinn, T'nae etc. etc.). Admirals are mission givers, endbosses, you name it. CAPTAINS do the work, have the adventures. Can't remember any Trek show focusing on an Admiral of any kind... (Except for Wrath of Khan, but Kirk is glad to be demoted in Voyage Home) It's about the CAPTAINS!

Kirk to CAPTAIN Picard: "Don't let them promote you! Don't let them do ANYTHING that gets you out of that chair, 'cause as long as you are there, you can make a difference!"
I guess that's excactly what Trollvax is proposing: if you're an admiral, all you can do is log in, walk around earth spacedock in your shiny uniform ... but that's it. If you don't pull a Kirk and revert to Captain, you can't command a ship or learn new abilities (which is why he asked for level 51++).
But you'd still have the admirals on your account and could epeen around any time you wanted ... just as a desk-commander, not in a ship or on a battlefield.
'Starting to understand what he's doing ... 'tell you, that's a horrible feeling

On topic: totally agreed, the admiral plague is pretty ridiculous, and pretty much at an end for all practical matters. The only ranks aboce VA in starfleet's hirarchy are the council of admirals (full Admirals) and the one-of-a-kind O11 that's leading the council as first among equals (THE Fleet Admiral).
That's it. Are we really supposed to believe everyone who plays this game is THE commander of all of starfleet?
VAs are already an immersion killer.
RALH, yeah, maybe, like one per account (has command over all other characters on the account/side, unlocked by getting the third or so char to 50).
RAUH ... maybe fleet leaders, I'd barely be able to accept that (though I'd really have to question starfleet's ability to choose leadership personal, considering the quality of some fleets ... *cough*).
Maybe even a VA as fleet leader, unlocked by ... say, getting starbase to T5 and completing every STF and Fleet Action/Event on Elite mode with all optionals in a fleet run.
But Admiral or Fleet Admiral certainly is too much. Those are actually not even commanding desks anymore - these ranks are pretty much politicans. And they certainly won't be seen on a battlefield or commanding ships, they have to be guarded from assasination or shapechanger replacement in secure locations on planets or major starbases to prevent a collapse of starfleet's chain of command.

So please, can we just get back to sanity and be happy exploring the universe ... as captains?

Last edited by flekh; 08-06-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Commander
# 13
08-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by palpha2clearance View Post
I disagree with op only because what he is opposed to was my idea originally that I proposed for the FA rank. Not that I do not respect the view point I just feel as if that ship sailed a long time ago with the vice admiral rank.

I am more concerned with eposonic content between season 6 and 7 or sto will a very lonely universe. This also means no time gated content that is just ridiculous, for those of us who are subsribers who actually pay to play.
The day I give up trying to improve this game, I stop playing :p
Commander
# 14
08-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Why I said that is because as the founder of my favorite MMO once said "each person is the only one in the timeline. Each person has their own timeline, they can see the other people, but in a way the NPCs can't."

This was the main thing he talked about when asked the same question this forum post is called.

Kyle
Delta Fleet Command
Rihannsu
# 15
08-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Quote:
The day I give up trying to improve this game, I stop playing :p
Who are you trying to improve the game for? Just yourself? Or have you been promoted to voice of the player base with full and complete rights, privileges, etc?

Would your improvements really make the game better for everyone?

Your ideas don't mesh very well with MY ideas for improving Cryptic's game.

So "who" would "we" be "improving" this game for with "our" ideas?

Think about that for a few moments.
Commander
# 16
08-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyryck View Post
Who are you trying to improve the game for? Just yourself? Or have you been promoted to voice of the player base with full and complete rights, privileges, etc?

Would your improvements really make the game better for everyone?

Your ideas don't mesh very well with MY ideas for improving Cryptic's game.

So "who" would "we" be "improving" this game for with "our" ideas?

Think about that for a few moments.
Done.

Let's reword that: The day I stop to express my constructive critique, I stop playing -.-

BTW: Almost EVERYONE being at a rank which is canonically regarded as a very high, prestigious and extremely rare title would be what you decidedly prefer?! Please enlighten us with your logic

Last edited by kagasensei; 08-06-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Ensign
# 17
08-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Leave the boring office jobs (rear/vice/fleet admirals) to all the NPCs of that rank we already have in game (Quinn, T'nae etc. etc.). Admirals are mission givers, endbosses, you name it. CAPTAINS do the work, have the adventures. Can't remember any Trek show focusing on an Admiral of any kind... (Except for Wrath of Khan, but Kirk is glad to be demoted in Voyage Home) It's about the CAPTAINS!
Commodore Decker in TOS, Admiral Ross, The old guy who reversed his age in TNG. Obviously there are not entire shows based around these people. But Obviously some Admirals of varying ranks are out there in the field doing various things.

Sure I think the ranking in sto could use an overhaul, but I believe there are bigger issues which will always rise up which will take priority.
Survivor of Romulus
# 18
08-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Every time an Admiral takes command in the series or movies he nearly destroys the ship
Commander
# 19
08-06-2012, 11:35 AM
You have to remember that this is NOT cannon. This is an MMO, also, as I posted earlier there is only one Vice Admiral which is your person. If everyone was there then the wars would be over because of all the ships and people that are now in Star Fleet. This works both ways. If you say everyone is there, then why is Star Fleet still at war when it has 1 or 2 million+ admiral level ships?
Kyle
Delta Fleet Command
Commander
# 20
08-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Admiral Janeway was an Admiral and she had her own show. As far as I remember she keep that post and still may have that post in STO.
Kyle
Delta Fleet Command