Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 132
# 1 Fleet Owner is MIA!!
08-06-2012, 07:57 AM
I'm in a fleet that I joined just as S6 went live and everything has been running smooth but we've run into a problem: Our Top officer is MIA for 8 days now.

I'm the Fleet XO however I do not have permissions to set new projects which is becoming a problem as our build que is starting to empty out. By the end of the day today, we will have only two out of a possible 5 projects actively running!

Needless to say, it is hard enough for smaller fleets to keep pace with the various project material requirements (we are about 15 strong). Loosing valuable hours and/or even days would be crippling.

Suggestions? Please don't suggest just leaving and joining YOUR FLEET! I am not interested in being recruited, I get enough of that on Holodeck.

This is an issue that will need to be addressed on a GLOBAL scale by an STO POLICY of some sort. I am certain I am not the first to encounter this problem and even more so sure there will be meny more to follow as things progress.

Last edited by wilsoncutter001; 08-06-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 750
# 2
08-06-2012, 08:02 AM
I hate to break it to you but there's no real option but to leave and start your own fleet, then make sure you have senior officers who can carry on while you're away. I did that when my fleet leader couldn't be persuaded to come back even after I got his starbase to tier 1 by myself.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 132
# 3
08-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulleatherjacket View Post
I hate to break it to you but there's no real option but to leave and start your own fleet, then make sure you have senior officers who can carry on while you're away. I did that when my fleet leader couldn't be persuaded to come back even after I got his starbase to tier 1 by myself.
That is the simple solution, I know, and is the only real option available right now.

I'd think however that what I am encountering is the thin edge of the wedge. I sense that this is an issue that is going to crop up with increasing regularity. It would be nice to see PWE get ahead of an issue like this rather then reacting weeks later
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 32
# 4
08-06-2012, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncutter001 View Post
That is the simple solution, I know, and is the only real option available right now.

I'd think however that what I am encountering is the thin edge of the wedge. I sense that this is an issue that is going to crop up with increasing regularity. It would be nice to see PWE get ahead of an issue like this rather then reacting weeks later
While not optimal, the ownership of fleet will be able to be switched after 30 days of inactivity by the fleet leader. If you do not wish to leave and make your own fleet, which is understandable, then wait out the timer, make yourself Fleet Leader and pick up where you left off.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,141
# 5
08-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncutter001 View Post
I'd think however that what I am encountering is the thin edge of the wedge. I sense that this is an issue that is going to crop up with increasing regularity. It would be nice to see PWE get ahead of an issue like this rather then reacting weeks later
I think if your leader comes back before leadership is passed it would be a good idea to talk with him/her about granting permissions to manage starbase holdings, if they have an issue with that just remind them that without said permission their fleet base isn't gonna get built while they slack off.
Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or other.
Warning, this poster tends to talk nonsensically when caffine levels fall below 80%.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 132
# 6
08-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by defalus View Post
I think if your leader comes back before leadership is passed it would be a good idea to talk with him/her about granting permissions to manage starbase holdings, if they have an issue with that just remind them that without said permission their fleet base isn't gonna get built while they slack off.
30 Days??? ***guuuhhhhhh***

is this a written policy somewhere?

I'll admit I have not played many MMO's. Is it standard practice that permisions are set by, and at the sole descretion of a Guild Leader? I would think buiding in manditory failsafes would be the norm.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 132
# 7
08-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by defalus View Post
I think if your leader comes back before leadership is passed it would be a good idea to talk with him/her about granting permissions to manage starbase holdings, if they have an issue with that just remind them that without said permission their fleet base isn't gonna get built while they slack off.
Indeed. That will be the SECOND discussion I have with him



Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,308
# 8
08-06-2012, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncutter001 View Post
30 Days??? ***guuuhhhhhh***

is this a written policy somewhere?

I'll admit I have not played many MMO's. Is it standard practice that permisions are set by, and at the sole descretion of a Guild Leader? I would think buiding in manditory failsafes would be the norm.
Well, you need 5 people to start a fleet, and typically you'd expect all five of them to have the highest permissions. The existing fail-safes are good enough I think. Before you put your currency or items into Fleet Projects you should have been comfortable with the fleet leadership structure and permissions.
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,626
# 9
08-06-2012, 09:45 AM
In our fleet, we have a "Chief of Staff" rank that can do nearly everything that the Leader can do. I believe it is absolutely necessary to provide continuity in case the Leader is unexpectedly unavailable. Fleets should be "built to last".

Unfortunately, setting permissions falls to the Fleet Leader and has to be revisited if new permissions are introduced (like this).

As soon as the Fleet Advancement system went live, I updated the fleet permissions accordingly. Is it possible that your own Fleet Leader just overlooked that at the time? It would have been easy to do.

Doesn't help you advance of course. I hope you're able to get it resolved soon.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 779
# 10
08-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncutter001 View Post
30 Days??? ***guuuhhhhhh***

is this a written policy somewhere?

I'll admit I have not played many MMO's. Is it standard practice that permisions are set by, and at the sole descretion of a Guild Leader? I would think buiding in manditory failsafes would be the norm.
It's not a policy, it's just an automated thing designed to help out fleets who's leaders have abandoned it.

As for MMOs in general, yes, pretty much the leader can set the initial permissions, as you need to have 1 person who can do that at the start. They can of course give the other ranks whatever permissions they want, including all the same ones they have, but that's up to the individual leaders.

Most MMOs don't even have a way to automatically get back leadership, so count yourself lucky in that way. Other than WoW, in other games you would normally have to petition a GM or something.
Ainu - Join Date: Aug 2008
Foundry Missions: 1) The Source of Power (ST-HSWUBD5TQ) [Federation] 16+
-----=====*****<[ Fleet Recruitment Thread ]>*****=====-----
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:54 AM.