Career Officer
For example, a mission I'm working on involves somewhat of a multiple-choice trivia game. One of the questions involves a girl named Marlena, so I was thinking, as one of the multiple choice answers, I'd use Marlena Evans (a character from the NBC soap opera "Days of our Lives"). As I said, it would be in name only, but I wanted to ask and make sure that was okay before doing so.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BuffyFanForever/Misc%20Pics/CustomSizeforSTOSignatureImagesSelection3.jpg
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
08-06-2012, 06:24 AM
While I don't have a solid answer, I would say no. With a Star Trek character such as Jean-Luc Picard, we have the rights to Star Trek but not the likeness of Patrick Stewart, hence the in name only. However with another IP such as Days of Our Lives, we don't the rights to either the story or the likeness. So I would play it safe and stay away from other IPs.

@greendragoon
Career Officer
# 3
08-06-2012, 06:34 AM
Okay, I'll do that then, just to be safe. Thanks for the reply!

Oh, by the way, love your sig!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BuffyFanForever/Misc%20Pics/CustomSizeforSTOSignatureImagesSelection3.jpg
Career Officer
# 4
08-06-2012, 06:52 AM
You can use any name not blocked, common names cannot copy right protected, the likeness issue another story

Last edited by palpha2clearance; 08-06-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Career Officer
# 5
08-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by palpha2clearance View Post
You can use any name not blocked, common names cannot copy right protected, the likeness issue another story
So you're saying I can mention their name, but I can't use their likeness?

If I'm reading (and understanding) your post correctly, then that's perfectly fine. That's exactly what I was looking to do. Thanks!
Career Officer
# 6
08-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmanforever365 View Post
So you're saying I can mention their name, but I can't use their likeness?

If I'm reading (and understanding) your post correctly, then that's perfectly fine. That's exactly what I was looking to do. Thanks!

Yes you can name anyone you like the game has a few names blocked out, but anything it will except you can use......likeness is something that the actor in question retains the rights to generally unless they are covered in make up or masks. Your interpretation of my answer is correct.
Career Officer
# 7
08-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by palpha2clearance View Post
Yes you can name anyone you like the game has a few names blocked out, but anything it will except you can use......likeness is something that the actor in question retains the rights to generally unless they are covered in make up or masks. Your interpretation of my answer is correct.
Wonderful! Again, thank you very much!

*gives you cookies*
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
08-06-2012, 09:36 AM
I often have a hard time coming up with names, so when I needed a lot of them for my big series I used the last names of U.S. astronauts, kind of as a little tribute. The characters are not representative or similar in any way of those astronauts, of course (Apollo 14 command module pilot Stuart Roosa is not, after all, an Andorian ) and I didn't use anyone's likeness.
Join the Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable

Looking for a Foundry mission for your Romulan character? Look no further!