Lieutenant
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 33
# 1 Lockboxes
08-06-2012, 11:50 AM
You keep bringing out stuff in lock boxes when end game needs more quests. There isn't a single quest out there end game where you can actually get an item you can use for end game. Instead of giving us the ships (after spending $400 to $500) how about give us a map that starts a quest. A quest where in the end we find a derelict ship or even have to steal the ship. While we are on lock boxes, the price really needs to drop. There is no damn reason to have to spend 400 or $500 just to get a new ship to try out. It is getting ridiculous you greedy bastards. It also looks like you keep making the random part harder and harder so people will spend more money on that damn lock boxes. I want to enjoy the game and having multiple ship options is the only way to do it once you have 4 or 5 chars at level 50. Not only do you charge an insanely amount to get the ship, only one char can use it! WTH is that crap? Let all our chars use those ships. It's stupid to have it only bound to whatever char you opened it on.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,921
# 2
08-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by armax View Post
You keep bringing out stuff in lock boxes when end game needs more quests.
As STO is FTP the lockboxes are paying for additional game development. The C-Store and Lockboxes are what paid for Season 5 and Season 6 - and they're also paying for Season 7.

I agree the game needs more "quests" but it also needs money to keep developing things.

Quote:
There isn't a single quest out there end game where you can actually get an item you can use for end game.
The STFs are end-game quests, and you can earn tons of purple end-game items for doing those "raids." Omega sets, MACO sets, etc are all end-game items you earn from doing them.

Last edited by thecosmic1; 08-06-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,477
# 3
08-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
As STO is FTP the lockboxes are paying for additional game development. The C-Store and Lockboxes are what paid for Season 5 and Season 6 - and they're also paying for Season 7.

I agree the game needs more "quests" but it also needs money to keep developing things.


The STFs are end-game quests, and you can earn tons of purple end-game items for doing those "raids." Omega sets, MACO sets, etc are all end-game items you earn from doing them.
When is the last time we had some game development that wasn't tied to making money? Pre f2p pretty much.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,921
# 4
08-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lianthelia View Post
When is the last time we had some game development that wasn't tied to making money? Pre f2p pretty much.
When was the last time you went up to your boss and said: "Hey boss! I've decided to work for free this month, so don't bother paying me!"

Of course they want to make money. The industry standard for FTP games is that 10% of the people pay for 100% of the development. Every FTP MMO needs to get the most money they can to continue development - especially in this economy.

I'm not saying the game doesn't need more Missions. I have hundreds of threads about it, but I also know that if Cryptic doesn't make money we're never going to get anything. And since we have a new Zone and new Missions coming in Season 7 it would seem to be working - just not as quickly as we'd like.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 33
# 5
08-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Ah, you mean the missions you have to do over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again to get the level XII stuff? That isn't a mission, its just doing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Kind of like lock boxes, you open them over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over to finally get the ship you are trying to get 4 or 500 dollars later. That isn't content and the little content they have added since it went F2P is all directed at making more money and not really adding much for the player. I have a subscription and I buy lock boxes. I've spent enough for 200 of these F2P wellfare losers already. You get no real rewards or benifits for spending that much. A few extra bs slots and such but thats it.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,921
# 6
08-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by armax View Post
Ah, you mean the missions you have to do over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again to get the level XII stuff? That isn't a mission, its just doing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Kind of like lock boxes, you open them over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over to finally get the ship you are trying to get 4 or 500 dollars later. That isn't content and the little content they have added since it went F2P is all directed at making more money and not really adding much for the player. I have a subscription and I buy lock boxes. I've spent enough for 200 of these F2P wellfare losers already. You get no real rewards or benifits for spending that much. A few extra bs slots and such but thats it.
You must not play other games, then. There are Raids I've done in WoW over 100 times to earn all the purple gear from them.

As far as your money hang-up, I haven't purchased any Zen in almost 7 months now and currently have over 15,000 Zen. Between my Stipend and playing I earn around 3,000 Zen per month. That means I can buy Keys and C-Store ships without ever paying a single dime of my own money.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 33
# 7
08-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Quote:
You must not play other games, then. There are Raids I've done in WoW over 100 times to earn all the purple gear from them.

As far as your money hang-up, I haven't purchased any Zen in almost 7 months now and currently have over 15,000 Zen. Between my Stipend and playing I earn around 3,000 Zen per month. That means I can buy Keys and C-Store ships without ever paying a single dime of my own money.
Played plenty of other games and generally quit at the end game. No fun doing the same crap over and over. Just start another char or move on to another game. The fun part is doing new quests or finding new things. It quits being fun when there is no longer any thing new to discover or do.

What is a Stipend and how do you earn Zen by just playing?
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 399
# 8
08-06-2012, 12:27 PM
I still wait for the MMO where it is possible to get a full load of topendgear playing solo.

If you really need the Lockboxships (and there is zero reason, except different looks) you can always go the "hyped key"-way. With fresh boxes the market for keys goes through the roof. buy yourself 4-5 packs of 10 keys, sell them on exchange, get the ship for EC (some even trade those directly, helps with EC limit).
Do Free Zen stuff, cumulate stipends and dilithium.
If you can be patient, you can have them all, without paying a single buck, just takes time.

Except for the bugship any lockboxship is buyable from the exchange at a reasonable EC amount.

I got 2 Orb Weavers so far, paid zero real cash for them. (and ya, I am a lucky bastard). Sold one and gave one to my wife.
Yesterday I bought a third one really cheap to resell it later.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,921
# 9
08-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by armax View Post
What is a Stipend and how do you earn Zen by just playing?
A Stipend is a bonus Gold members get: 500 Zen per month.

You earn Zen by doing Missions (Dailies, STFs, PvP, etc) for Dilithium. You then sell the Dilithium for Zen on the Dilithium exchange.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 33
# 10
08-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Oh, I wouldn't notice 500 zen. That isn't even enough to get 1 10 pack of keys. I spend so much Zen on this game 500 is a joke. I also would not make enough Deilithium to keep up with trying to get a lock box ship. And I don't just have 4 or 5 level 50's, I have 7. Just started a new char (Caitian) so will soon have 8 soon. Everyone just seems to focus on one part of the lockbox thing though. It isn't just that lockbox ships are stupidly expensive but they keep coming up with new ways players can waist money instead of adding more end game content. Why not give us a quest where you upgrade your ship, or find a derelict ship then other quests to fix up etc..... Instead of putting all these ships in the lockboxes give us a quest to actually do something end game. All the money we money paying players are investing is going to more ways us money paying players can spend more money instead of adding more content. Not just that point but also the point of hell, we just dropped 4 or 500 hundred trying to get a lockbox ship now let all our toons use it and not just the one toon. I do understand if you have to get 1 for fed and 1 for Klingons (not really) but that should be the limit. We are spending way more money on these lockbox ships that aren't any better then regular Klingon ships (feds ships are not as good as Klingon ones) so at least let all our toons use it.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:56 AM.