Lt. Commander
So... ever since season 6 came out, me and my small fleet of 8 players have been working non-stop p? complete missions and reaching tier 1. Now, a few days ago we reached 10000 science XP. I thought HEY, time to level... But noo........ Project after project kept coming... And yesterday I started a project that I was sure that would level my starbase up to Teir 1. Logging in today, got my hopes up... And DIED!! No, now there is another project, this one called something with tier 1... this time i?m (fairly) sure that this is the one. But as I understood it transwarp and other unlocks would unlock automatically. Yet again, noo... Not only does it take 20hrs from the start of this one, then we?ll have to wait two days for the Transwarp to complete. Cannot Cryptic type out a little better info about this process. I thought I had read everything about this. But know i feel like.... why bother... just gonna be another project and the another until we level the stupid base. I thought we where on this mission several days ago, and then when it turned out not to be the one, i thought, oh... This one then....

Arrhhggg..... this is just redicilous.
Commander
# 2
08-06-2012, 01:21 PM
I really try to understand what you mean, but are you really surprised it works like this?
They made a BLOG about it, you can read about it across the forums.
It is a tedious task, not very entertaining to do, eats tons of ressources, and gives ya another social hub and access to exclusive fleet variants of stuff. Oh, and it takes time to built, lots of it.

I'm in a quite big fleet, closing in to get everything to T2 this week, and we already start to get problems with having enough DOFFs in time.

Here is an idea you might like: Try to get the amount of fleetcredits you need, and wait until fleets open up who sell access to their starbase. There are 30minute projects which grant provisions and zero XP for 200K dilithium.
Wouldn't surprise me if sooner or later some fleets sale access this way:
Starting a provision 30min project, you pay the 200K dilithium, may use 2 provisions, rest keeps the fleet to use.
(and ya, this can be abused both ways).
Captain
# 3
08-06-2012, 01:21 PM
I guess you just have to play the game for the game. If the content doesn't interest you in of itself then why bother with the meta-game? Play the content and let the Starbase projects complete themselves in their own time.
Captain
# 4
08-06-2012, 01:25 PM
I think the real issue here is that everyone is rushing to get their completed; but even under the best of conditions it will take 7 months to get through T5. So rather then rushing just play the game and do what you want. If it takes 2 years to get your Base done then so be it.

A lot can change even in the 7 months months so I say just play the game and do what you'd normally do. Earn some Dilithium when you feel like it, earn some Fleet Marks when you feel like it, and so on. Just play for the sake of playing. Not for the sake of getting something done as quickly as possible.
Career Officer
# 5
08-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Why don't you just dissolve your fleet and join a large one? With your effort and their resources, you'll see results faster.
Leipzig University, 1409-2409
Captain
# 6
08-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmoscola View Post
But as I understood it transwarp and other unlocks would unlock automatically.
Clearly you haven't read up on the whole system enough yet, because that is not true, and I don't think there was ever anything said that would hint at such a thing.

Starbases are intended to be something that takes even the larger fleets some time to achieve, and would naturally take a smaller fleet even longer.
Career Officer
# 7
08-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Some good info here:
http://www.stowiki.org/Fleet_starbase

Basically, there are 4 different types of XP and 4 different 'tracks' for a starbase: Fleet, military, science, and engineering.

Fleet - gives overall exterior appearance of your starbase, and adds certain functionality like bank, mail, and tailor access.

Military - lets you build a Shipyard which, in turn, lets you buy ships.

Engineering - lets you build a fabricator which, in turn, lets you buy weapons

Science - lets you build a communications array which, in turn lets you buy shields, and deflectors. It also allows you to build a transwarp gate.

When you do projects you gain XP in either military, engineering, or science. You don't get Fleet XP directly this way. The only way to get fleet XP is to build or upgrade one of the facilities associated with the other 3. So, you get 1000 fleet XP when you build a shipyard, fabricator, or comm array (note: building transwarp gate does NOT give you fleet XP).

You can upgrade to tier 1 starbase when you get 1000 fleet XP. That means you need to first build one of the above 3 things. Then the tier 1 upgrade will become available. (and by 'available' I mean there is a project that you have to run in order to get it. Upgrades are merely 'unlocked' with a certain amount of XP. You still need to run the upgrade project in order to get it).

EDIT: And even with a mega fleet, it will take a minimum of 7 months to get a full starbase.

Last edited by latinumbar; 08-06-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 8
08-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
I think the real issue here is that everyone is rushing to get their completed; but even under the best of conditions it will take 7 months to get through T5. So rather then rushing just play the game and do what you want. If it takes 2 years to get your Base done then so be it.

A lot can change even in the 7 months months so I say just play the game and do what you'd normally do. Earn some Dilithium when you feel like it, earn some Fleet Marks when you feel like it, and so on. Just play for the sake of playing. Not for the sake of getting something done as quickly as possible.
I agree (although my math showed it would take >9 months assuming the upgrade to T5 doesn't have a 7-days timer). The starbase is really for the hardcore players. If you are a casual player who just likes to get on every now and then, just join a larger fleet and let them do most of the work.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.