Republic Veteran
# 1 Recluse tanking question...
08-06-2012, 01:53 PM
If I put a Engineer in the commander slot and used the ensign tac slot for a TT...would I be ineffective as a tank without any type of FAW for aoe?
Commander
# 2
08-07-2012, 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lianthelia View Post
If I put a Engineer in the commander slot and used the ensign tac slot for a TT...would I be ineffective as a tank without any type of FAW for aoe?
You'll find it hard to keep the attention of groups of foes without any AoE damage abilities.

Whether or not you can hold the aggro of one single enemy? That'll greatly depend on your build and weapons loadout.

[ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]
Commander
# 3
08-07-2012, 05:41 AM
Use Comslot for Sci, play with Gravity Wells x2 (and/or Tykens, both work great for aggroing) and hullreggen.
Use LtCom Engineer for EPTS-rotation, LTCom Sci for shieldreggen.

Tac Ensign either FAW or TT, both are nice on its own.
ou can tank without TT, but FAW won't be of much help here.

It isn't a great way to tank, but works.
You will still have hardtime against alpha strikes (but that is a problem for any tank), but usually you should be fine keeping aggro of groups and singles.

But be warned, a build based around this lacks lots of weapondamage.

Firing Arcs can be a bit tricky, too.

Last edited by thoroon; 08-07-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 4
08-07-2012, 10:32 AM
You can choose to add some threat control if you respec.
Career Officer
# 5
08-07-2012, 01:15 PM
You'd be ineffective as a tank because any mobs that you can gain threat on don't take much to get threat and the mobs that you can't gain threat on you.....cant gain threat on!

So its very easy to stop the npc's from attacking say, oh a freighter if those npc's have a threat table you can get on. Just look at them and they will attack you. If those npc's have a fixed table good luck you have to just kill them or disable them.

If you wish to get a bit of resistance and extra threat maybe? then go ahead and put points into threat. Then arrange your ship to spew out the most attacks as possible. Before you know it, any stray npc's will be attracted to you.

What is your plan? What are you trying to tank? And is this an effort on behalf of your fleet?

In any case, with LTCMDR Eng and Sci you really don't need another one of those types. But you do need a tactical.

And FAW is awful.

Cheers and happy flying!!
If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.