Career Officer
# 1 A Call For Civility
08-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Anyone who spends some time on these forums, reading chat (zone or otherwise) could not disagree that there are many different viewpoints (be that to game direction, what ship should be released, the KDF needs a complete faction, new factions, the list is endless). Some people are definitely passionate about their beliefs, and thats OK. However, there seems to be a general lack of respect for those with differing viewpoints, experience levels, abilities, and the like.

I have commented in several threads about the lack of Sportsmanship, or Gamesmanship... I may have been guilty of breaking those myself. I have been searching for a way to more deeply explain what these mean in relation to STO, from a players perspective. Admittedly, when I start these responses, I am generally already "in a mood", so I can't get the words to come out correctly.

In a recent thread, a user posted his fleets philosophy to the game...

I wish I could take credit for this, and while I think his version is a little heavy on Federation lingo (his fleet is a Federation Fleet, so it makes sense).

The tenants of his fleet are founded on is what he refers to as the 4F's. Those being Friendship, Freedom, Fun, and Fair-Play... this should be the goal of every single player of this game. I certainly didn't join the STO Community to argue, bicker, or to interfere with others game play experience. I refuse to believe that a single person joined STO (Silver, Gold, or Lifer) with the intention to do any of these things.

Lest we all forget, this is a game... a game shouldn't make us angry, mean spirited, or do anything other than elevate our moods, and help us to relax.

That poster, posted his link... so I don't think its wrong to share it... http://z15.invisionfree.com/Federati...hp?showtopic=6

Is it a pipe dream that we can all get along, probably... does it hurt to try... not at all. Since it is against the ToS rules of these forums to post his name... i wont (hint you can see it on the linked site)... but I have printed the 4F Words, and have them in plain site now (across the top of my monitor), and am currently modifying the wording slightly (less Fed intensive) to add to my fleet site.

Here's the link again.... its worth the read...

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Federati...hp?showtopic=6

Its worth the read, and its worth at least referring to them when something starts getting under your skin.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Empire Veteran
# 2
08-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Having a different point of view doesn't mean we have to choose the most conservative one as a reference. If you really value difference then value the fact that people you don't agree with can do whatever they want even if you don't like that.

A real life example: I don't like religions, but I respect the right of people to go to the curch and to preach in the streets. It happens a lot, I just don't care about it.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
08-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
Having a different point of view doesn't mean we have to choose the most conservative one as a reference. If you really value difference then value the fact that people you don't agree with can do whatever they want even if you don't like that.

A real life example: I don't like religions, but I respect the right of people to go to the curch and to preach in the streets. It happens a lot, I just don't care about it.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." -- Jean-Luc Picard
"A matter of 'internal security' - the age-old cry of the oppressor." Captain Jean-Luc Picard, The Hunted
| 44th Fleet [Fed] | 44th Assault Squadron [Kdf] | Startrek.44thfleet.com |
Captain
# 4
08-07-2012, 02:43 PM
you know most of the times i argue on this forums, it's because the numbers say person A is right. And you can't argue with mathematic.
If person B refuses to accept that given fact, and even refuses to give any evidense to support his theories...my politeness comes to an end, very fast.
i don't confront ignorance with politeness. The forum rules forbit direct assaults at persons with vulgar language anyway...thats as much politeness as i'm prepared to give.
Go pro or go home
Career Officer
# 5
08-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Is anything in these forums that important to get upset about? Whether or not Person B agrees with the math that VR MKXII Phaser Relays Stack with Diminished returns (completely made up argument ((I think there was one here once)). There is no amount of arguing that is going to change that.

If you disagree, have a different viewpoint, or feeling about a topic... that's fine, nobody is saying you shouldn't. A healthy discourse is, in my eyes, very constructive. Even plead passionately for what you believe in... but all of this can be done with respect for others in the game.

A KDF Player lamenting about the lack of content on the KDF Side, can passionately argue for more content. Since, I am not a KDF Player, I can disagree (as I believe the majority of funds should go to the majority of the player base)... but still be respectful of his/her opinion, even if I advocate against it.

All I am saying, is that there is no need to become disagreeable, hostile, or so on.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Career Officer
# 6
08-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny111971 View Post
Is anything in these forums that important to get upset about?i
It would appear so. You did get upset enough to make this thread.
This thread needs more dancing girls.

Master using it and you can have this!

Be black on the right side. Add properly colored Cheron to the game today!
Career Officer
# 7
08-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpthomasmarik View Post
It would appear so. You did get upset enough to make this thread.
HaHa... Touche...

In all seriousness, the trolling and griefing seem to be increasing exponentially.
Captain
# 8
08-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Quote:
HaHa... Touche...

In all seriousness, the trolling and griefing seem to be increasing exponentially.
The forum no longer requires a C-store purchase or Gold membership to be able to post.
# 9
08-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Quote:

A KDF Player lamenting about the lack of content on the KDF Side, can passionately argue for more content. Since, I am not a KDF Player, I can disagree (as I believe the majority of funds should go to the majority of the player base)... but still be respectful of his/her opinion, even if I advocate against it.

All I am saying, is that there is no need to become disagreeable, hostile, or so on.
Eh, I will quote an old dev quote about needing to make content for all the players regardless if someone may view it as fluff or for the opposite faction. That type of attitude is not really warranted and contradicts the purpose of what you state in your post. As a mostly KDF player it is not the fact that it is federation mostly content coming out its the fact that there is no equality.

Regardless every player is a STO player regardless if they play the Federation or the KDF so to argue and disagree for one faction to get things and other doesn't only holds back the progress of the game itself being counter productive to the whole of the community.

Plus on another note the dev's blame the player base for the KDF not being as large and not making them as much money as the federation side. Most responses I get from non diehard KDF fans is that they refuse to play it until its a finished faction. Where as the dev response to this is that they are not going to do anything more to it and if you do not like it just do not play it.

In the podcast recently how the dev being interviewed was speaking of how they would love to do this and that but the major factor is that they cut all production of the KDF and are currently not working on anything so its not really anything to argue about until they start actually working on it. I do highly doubt tho we will ever see a full KDF faction nor do I believe we will see any more factions because they can barely keep 1.5 factions going as it is.
Career Officer
# 10 hmmm
08-07-2012, 04:49 PM
i undestand the need to vent on occassion, and i accept this as nothing but. since in reality this is the net and you cant change the vision of others as such no matter how much one pleads.

i did not and do not desire to read the info in the link.

hope you got your frustrations out.
was sir_james_of_cadiz on cryptics forums...did not get to keep the name