Starfleet Veteran
# 11
08-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Not sure sure what this thread is about, because the STO community and the Forums, are one of the friendliest places I have been. I have visiting other MMO forums and have not enjoyed the experience, where the first response to any post is a smack-down.

The STO community rocks!
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Starfleet Veteran
# 12
08-07-2012, 07:34 PM
If they violate the rules, report them. Asking someone to be civil/ethical/nice when it isn't a part of their genetic traits... is a waste of time and they will act as displeasing and ignorant as before... if not worse. Trolls will be Trolls, the only good troll is a Banned Troll.

| Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
Captain
# 13
08-07-2012, 08:08 PM
One of the problems with any internet community is the anonymity syndrome, people don't know who you really are or where you are and for some, it emboldens them to behave in a downright uncivilized manner. You can often tell the maturity of a poster by how they comport themselves and I don't speak of chronological age, I have often encountered very mature 12 year olds and infantile 30 year olds in a forum.

Ideally we should all realize that this is a game and we all here to have fun, but unfortunately not everyone has the same definition of fun and it's a sad truth that for some, they are not truly enjoying themselves unless they've successfully ruined someone else's fun and for others the fact that this is actually only a game is a notion they just can't seem to grasp.

This community like the real world is made up of different people, some of whom you can find common ground with and others whom you would not want to know under any circumstances, you have to take the bad with the good.

Civility should be a prime consideration, but you can't let yourself be disappointed if and when you don't get it.

If they're annoying ignore them, if they are abusive report them, but don't give them recognition by replying to them, the not so old adage is "Don't Feed The Trolls".
Captain
# 14
08-07-2012, 09:02 PM
I say this on this topic. I will be as civilized and polite and respectful as I am allowed to be by someone else's actions. I do not seek confrontation, nor enjoy it when it occurs. However I will not tolerate it either. Especially when it is someone else who is being abused or disrespected.
Community Moderator
# 15
08-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
One of the problems with any internet community is the anonymity syndrome, people don't know who you really are or where you are and for some, it emboldens them to behave in a downright uncivilized manner. You can often tell the maturity of a poster by how they comport themselves and I don't speak of chronological age, I have often encountered very mature 12 year olds and infantile 30 year olds in a forum.

Ideally we should all realize that this is a game and we all here to have fun, but unfortunately not everyone has the same definition of fun and it's a sad truth that for some, they are not truly enjoying themselves unless they've successfully ruined someone else's fun and for others the fact that this is actually only a game is a notion they just can't seem to grasp.

This community like the real world is made up of different people, some of whom you can find common ground with and others whom you would not want to know under any circumstances, you have to take the bad with the good.

Civility should be a prime consideration, but you can't let yourself be disappointed if and when you don't get it.

If they're annoying ignore them, if they are abusive report them, but don't give them recognition by replying to them, the not so old adage is "Don't Feed The Trolls".
I'm bluegeek, and I approve this message ^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderfoot006 View Post
I say this on this topic. I will be as civilized and polite and respectful as I am allowed to be by someone else's actions. I do not seek confrontation, nor enjoy it when it occurs. However I will not tolerate it either. Especially when it is someone else who is being abused or disrespected.
All I will say is that there is a time to be confrontational and a time not to be. It's also entirely possible to oppose something that's wrong while still remaining civil and peaceful. Ghandi and Martin Luthor King both tried to make that point.

I'm certainly not saying it's easy to do. It's not. But it's something that many of our heroes from the Star Trek series aspired to (Not, of course, the Klingons... I'm still trying to work out that ethical code ).

They weren't always successful at it, but they often tried for peaceful solutions when they could.

In our case, when civility fails, the game and forum ToS tells us exactly how we're expected to handle it. We open a ticket.

Not as satisfying as telling somebody off, true. And whether that is effective or not is open to debate, as it should be. We should still keep looking for reasonable solutions, or improving the ones we have.

But you can't force people to "see the light", especially when they have their own definition of what the "light" is. That's why we have Terms of Service in the first place. This is PWE's playground and they set the rules on what's acceptable and what's not. They are also the only entity with the power to enforce those rules.

If they are not enforcing their own rules, then that's an issue worth taking up here in the forums... firmly and civilly, and supported by lots and lots of tickets.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Commander
# 16
08-08-2012, 02:15 PM
"All right. It's instinctive. But the instinct can be fought. We're human beings with the venom of a million sarcastic comments at our fingertips, but we can stop it. We can admit that we're rude, but we're not going to troll today. That's all it takes! Knowing that we're not going to troll - today!"
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-08-2012, 03:28 PM
I'm just tired of seeing the same dead horse get pushed into the rusty woodchipper every day.
Captain
# 18
08-08-2012, 06:09 PM
I can see now where it would be easy for someone desiring to do so to misinterpret what I posted. So I will make the attempt to clarify. Nice one, BTW, pompously pontificating about Ghandi and MLK to

a) support your viewpoint, and

b) show us unwashed proles how eloquent and educated you are. Pseudo-intellectuals are one of my very most favorite amusements. I can guffaw and belly laugh for hours on end about them. The best part? I ain't alone.

(Note to self: Post obscure quote from even more obscure character from all but unknown science fiction film to support my viewpoint HERE. Award bonus hipster points if anyone asks who I am quoting and why.)

The above is my way of confronting someone. It is called humor. Or more specifically, schadenfreude. And I may not have spelled this correctly. Y'see I learned a long time ago trolls and bullies cannot tolerate the thought someone, somewhere does not take them seriously. Even worse, there may actually someone somewhere who enjoys making said troll the butt of a joke in front of the whole InterWebs. Taking their trick and flipping it back on them where everyone can see, point and laugh is normally enough to make your average garden variety troll run to their lair down in Mommy's basement and lick their wounds for awhile. Something else I learned? Trolls and bullies are not worth the effort. Publicly complaining about them merely rewards negative behavior which encourages them to more and greater efforts at disruption.

As I stated in my previous post, I do not look for confrontation, nor expect it. But publicly mocking a troll is sometimes just too hard to pass up. I also usually send off a ticket to the GMs and add the troll to my Ignore List. On the websites I haunt, I add them to a thread called the Wall of Shame or something similar. So others can be warned beforehand. Forewarned is forearmed.

The people I've met since I started playing STO are really very nice and mostly very interesting. I enjoy their company and have met some very fine people. I am delighted most of your will do me the courtesy of hearing me out. If or when we play together, I will make every effort to make the experience as fun as I can. As a fellow gamer you deserve my best. Regardless of what it is we are doing in STO currently. It would be churlish and rude to do otherwise. I really do try to use Company Manners as much as I can. Especially when it appears someone and I may disagree about something. In the end this is a game. Like all games, it cannot go on forever.(What? Blasphemy! Burn the Heretic! NOW!) When the day comes for STO to shut down, I suppose there will be something else equally entertaining. I hope to see you there.

Last edited by thunderfoot006; 08-08-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 19
08-08-2012, 08:07 PM
How we act towards another, is how we are treated in return.

This is the probably first act of be civil, should be in pratice...these days. it is a case by case basis.

Task Force Zulu--Back to Duty X4 SB T1.5, Tac 2, Eng 1 & Sci 1.
To the Edge of Space and Beyond

Subscribe to STO--1200+ days
LTS December 2011
Survivor of Romulus
# 20
08-08-2012, 09:46 PM
It would be good to see more people being civil. This would help any interaction in local, zone or in STF team chat. That said fleet event chat seems reasonably calm and civil compared to STFs.