Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,144
# 21
08-08-2012, 02:02 AM
All very welcome and another step in the right direction, thanks Cryptic
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,144
# 22
08-08-2012, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
That is a question you and most everyone else on these forums have been asking themselves, or even directly to me. Many remain mystified

The short answer is rather long, so bear with me:

I've been with STO since Open Beta, therefore I have seen everything Cryptic has done, ALL OF IT. I have seen their business decisions, many of their comments, seen their interviews on STOked and all their collections of ST memorabilia (did i spell that right?), and so on and so forth.

My opinion of all that, is that the Cryptic devs themselves, are good people, doing what they can with a business and with the ST IP in an MMO format. Therefore, I am with Cryptic, knowing full well there are good intentions between everything they do, or try to do. I realize it is the workings of their employers (Atari, and now PWE) who are the ones who desire money, and could care less about how they get it.

Therefore, I support Cryptic, but I do not support their employers. Because it is my belief the core root of the current issues is PWE, not Cryptic.

Why do I continue to do so, even now? One, because I hate when something I like and respect is insulted/bashed/flamed/etc in any way. And two, because I do not believe 'following orders' is grounds for blame for something so minor as business decisions over a game.

THAT is why I support Cryptic, even having been here since Open Beta, and all the implications that intails. It is my humble opinion, and I stand by it.
I haven't been a player as long as you, just 600 days coming up but I generally agree with everything you say here except that if it wasn't for PWE there would most likely be no STO at all right now.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 731
# 23
08-08-2012, 02:56 AM
I've been waiting for the doff downgrader for weeks, very happy to see it included.

Great patch notes overall -- my only regret is I won't be able to play for a few days due to STLV!
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18020 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)

Last edited by phyrexianhero; 08-08-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 119
# 24
08-08-2012, 03:01 AM
This may sound like a stupid request.

we have the character transfer....

but can we have fleet transfer. so we can test things like this. and not have to grind up a tribble starbase that may be deleted at any time.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,502
# 25
08-08-2012, 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
There glow around consoles seem to have changed, and now there are these strange vertical lines around consoles. its very distracting and totally not needed. i hope it is just a bug and not intentional

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/x...8-09-17-16.jpg

that looks like the new *interact icon*

imho glowy stuff like that isn't needed at all, neither were the icons they added before that.

the flashing console screens (pre F2P) were more than enough.


personally i liked it very much how they did it on Bajor, just writing BANK on the console itself.
too bad that wasn't done with any of the other major hubs.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,652
# 26
08-08-2012, 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
I haven't been a player as long as you, just 600 days coming up but I generally agree with everything you say here except that if it wasn't for PWE there would most likely be no STO at all right now.
Yeah, I know

I don't like a lot of what they're forcing on STO, but if it wasn't for them buying Cryptic, STO might have have gone so well...

But right now, we're in a difficult situation... STO is definitely staying afloat, as least more so among the general opinion, but the way PWE is doing so isn't very favorable, and that's putting it mildly.

Btw, I'm glad you generally agree with me. Being a steadfast voice against the flow (the most vocal against Cryptic, for whatever reason) is tough.
Was named Trek17, but still an author.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 714
# 27
08-08-2012, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
That is a question you and most everyone else on these forums have been asking themselves, or even directly to me. Many remain mystified

The short answer is rather long, so bear with me:

I've been with STO since Open Beta, therefore I have seen everything Cryptic has done, ALL OF IT. I have seen their business decisions, many of their comments, seen their interviews on STOked and all their collections of ST memorabilia (did i spell that right?), and so on and so forth.

My opinion of all that, is that the Cryptic devs themselves, are good people, doing what they can with a business and with the ST IP in an MMO format. Therefore, I am with Cryptic, knowing full well there are good intentions between everything they do, or try to do. I realize it is the workings of their employers (Atari, and now PWE) who are the ones who desire money, and could care less about how they get it.

Therefore, I support Cryptic, but I do not support their employers. Because it is my belief the core root of the current issues is PWE, not Cryptic.

Why do I continue to do so, even now? One, because I hate when something I like and respect is insulted/bashed/flamed/etc in any way. And two, because I do not believe 'following orders' is grounds for blame for something so minor as business decisions over a game.

THAT is why I support Cryptic, even having been here since Open Beta, and all the implications that intails. It is my humble opinion, and I stand by it.

Well Said! I read so many of these threads and have also been here since the beginning as a lifetime subscriber. I've seen things for the better and the worse but I'm here to enjoy myself for the hundreds of $$$ I've spent. I can choose to let little details bother me or work within the system and enjoy myself. I think suggestions are great but the flood of complaining and whining over trivial matters since F2P is ridiculous. The game devs and everyone involved want you to enjoy the game. An artist doesn't paint a picture so everyone hates his work. I say everyone offer constructive feedback and when something good comes along like the FM modification... be happy
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,202
# 28
08-08-2012, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0niusrex View Post
[*]Unlocking facilities at tier 2 and above also allows purchase of officers for specific disciplines.[*]These officers may have new active roster powers and new arrangements for fleets.
Oh great you're about to kill doffing.

What's the point of playing the officer exchanges, asylums, and colonial chains if fleets are able to buy any doff they want without playing the game or using the exchange?
Ensign
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2
# 29
08-08-2012, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
Yeah, I know

I don't like a lot of what they're forcing on STO, but if it wasn't for them buying Cryptic, STO might have have gone so well...

But right now, we're in a difficult situation... STO is definitely staying afloat, as least more so among the general opinion, but the way PWE is doing so isn't very favorable, and that's putting it mildly.

Btw, I'm glad you generally agree with me. Being a steadfast voice against the flow (the most vocal against Cryptic, for whatever reason) is tough.
I too have been around since Open Beta and I agree with what you've been saying . The Cryptic Devs do the best job they can in the situation they are in and I regularly try to convey that to the people I play with.

OT: Not sure about the console interact fx mentioned. As has already been said in this thread, I thought it was at its best when just the object you interacted with (screen/door) flashed briefly. It was simple and subtle, unlike the fx we've had since F2P which are essentially massive neon signs. However I understand the need for it to be eye-catching.

Happy about the Fleet mark reward changes and the addition of DOff downgrading will be welcomed by many.
"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it's scientific truth or historical truth or personal truth! It is the guiding principle on which Starfleet is based!"

Last edited by fflionheart; 08-08-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,748
# 30
08-08-2012, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
Oh great you're about to kill doffing.

What's the point of playing the officer exchanges, asylums, and colonial chains if fleets are able to buy any doff they want without playing the game or using the exchange?
I dont see how its going to kill doff or in fact even do any harm?

you still have to be in a fleet, get a tier 2 or above facility which is not easy, spend fleet credits which still require an effort to obtain to acquire a doff that may have a different skill to what is already there.

the officer exchange is free. asylums are a little more complex but still free. the exchange is an easy way to get what you want with EC. considering starbases are causing players to have to dump a huge number of doffs into the system that we never get back, adding another way to claim them is a good move.

None of the above ways will go away or become obsolete, and you naturally have to play the game to earn resources to help make new tiers and earn fleet credits.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:36 AM.