Survivor of Romulus
# 41
08-09-2012, 12:46 PM
I beamed out only once in an incursion. That was when 3 people happened always to be together in the same quadrant. I tried to leave, a few seconds later the same group was with me in the quadrand as they were probably all running counter clockwise through the area.

I suggested that it would be far more efficient if we would split up and only one person would patrol a quadrant. The reply was that STO not my personal game and I should shut up.

Phase one timer was almost up we had barely 10 saboteurs and I decided that these guys are not worth the effort, so I let them fail. *shrug*
Survivor of Romulus
# 42
08-09-2012, 01:11 PM
As to the guards and Turrets

there are three main views on this

1 ignore them entirely

2 take them out as you pass if convienient

3 code 14 (terminate on sight)

now the Facts

1 Turrets do not count for your score
2 Turrets do count for an accolade (which some people are going for)
3 it takes on average 5 seconds to take one out with a hand phaser

My view is that if not taken out the bloody things can crossfire you (Flank you) while you deal with sabs
Also that ranging guards are false targets (you see a shadow and move to engage )
So if i pass one I take him out (normally at a dead run)
Turrets can be casually removed while you search

Weaker characters (no armour or weaker shields) can not ignore this stuff its the duty of the strong to protect the weak
Career Officer
# 43
08-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Sadly, the fact is, in time-gated missions, most lower level characters (captain and below) aren't going to be able to contribute enough DPS/DAMAGE to win the match or to get all the objectives. This isn't a VA's fault; they just see it for what it is.

This is more Cryptic's fault. THEY need to level gate the mission or make it rank-gated a la Starbase 24.

Last edited by badname834854; 08-09-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Career Officer
# 44
08-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
As to the guards and Turrets

there are three main views on this

1 ignore them entirely

2 take them out as you pass if convienient

3 code 14 (terminate on sight)

now the Facts

(turret stuff)

Take out the turrets - always. They will encourage respawn and they reduce enemy chatter when destroyed.
Ensign
# 45
08-10-2012, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badname834854 View Post
Take out the turrets - always. They will encourage respawn and they reduce enemy chatter when destroyed.
Except far too many people I've seen have run right past a saboteur, which is right in front of them to go shoot turrets. also the audio cues i hear through my head set help me find saboteurs more easily, but having another one play for when the turret is beamed in doesn't help.
Lt. Commander
# 46
08-10-2012, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badname834854 View Post
Sadly, the fact is, in time-gated missions, most lower level characters (captain and below) aren't going to be able to contribute enough DPS/DAMAGE to win the match or to get all the objectives. This isn't a VA's fault; they just see it for what it is.

This is more Cryptic's fault. THEY need to level gate the mission or make it rank-gated a la Starbase 24.
Yeah, they really do need to do that for at least the Fleet missions. Unfortunately I only realized this after jumping into a blockade action with my then-Lieutenant Commander. Oh sure I gave it my all and made myself the best distraction I could to keep those Orions off the transports, but I'd be lying if I said I was doing near as good as with my science VA. I'm just glad none of the VAs in that match decided to leave and that we still kicked ass.
Survivor of Romulus
# 47
08-10-2012, 03:00 AM
The obvious answer is inverse gating

Incursion strictly Commanders downwards
Fleet alert open to all
Blockade RA and above
starbase defence captains and downwards

STF normals captains and RA's
STF elites RA and Up

Starbase 24 captains and down
Gorn minefield captains and down
Mirror incursion Commanders and down
Breaking the planet commanders and up
Temple commanders and Captains

Then limit nukara to VA's
Defera to VA's

And everythings fixed

of course you could privately queue for any of these with a team of friends
Career Officer
# 48
08-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
Abilities and Potential abilities only matter if they are USED.
A T5 Cruiser that just uses Auto-attack with BFAW and 8 beams and DOES NOTHING ELSE, still brings more than a T1 Cruiser with 3 beam arrays and 1 tactical power.

Again, if you want to have a discussion you need to discuss all things being equal and not this silly argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny111971 View Post
...My comment on the subject was "sucks to be left doesn't it"... he changed his tune pretty quickly... He then realized, that the 4 of us were disadvantaged by 1 single leaver. And as the quoted poster points out... that RALH did us a lot more good than the person who left... because he, at least, was there.
Couple points.

1) A RALH is actually useful, it's not some joke of a T1 or T2 ship with 3 starter beam arrays, maybe a copy of TT or BFAW, maybe 1 copy of EPTS 1.

2) You, and your man-down team, could have left and rejoined the queue at no penalty. Maybe you would have lost 2 minutes.

The only disadvantage to you was that you felt you had to complete the mission disadvantaged when nothing in the game prevented you from starting a completely fresh instance, while losing about 2 minutes of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle23 View Post
The snippet I pulled is pertinent to the conversation. VA's have "more to offer" IF THEY STAY. And following up with that, a VA having "more to offer" hurts that much more when they decide to randomly leave.
And a T1 never has more to offer.

Ever.

They are a permanent drain on the team, they can barely keep themselves alive.

They don't have enough weapons, enough skill ranks, enough boff powers, no consoles of any value.

Their gear will generally be a mess of stuff they have happened across in their journey levelling all the way to the prestigious level of 7.

Leaving the team short, as I mentioned above would be an issue if there was actually an in-game consequence.

It's all make-believe.

The starbase isn't real, no one is really going to die on the starbase.

You can all leave, and restart within minutes and probably gain more time then some team that insists on dragging a couple of XP/fleet mark leeches.

Leeches.

That's what most of them are.

Just like PvP afk dilithium farming, or STF leeches who join and do nothing.

Would you condone any of that?

I do not now, never have and never will, condone leeching in any form.

I will continue to abandon leechers and ridicule leeching as an acceptable practice.

Thinking that it is not leeching, is just a misguided sense of altruism.

Last edited by ussultimatum; 08-10-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 49
08-10-2012, 11:49 AM
a T1 FIGHTING is worth 2 VA's AFK or just laughing at the newbies

a LT Com Fighting is worth a VA who is on autofire or doesn't target turrets or guards
Career Officer
# 50
08-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
a T1 FIGHTING is worth 2 VA's AFK or just laughing at the newbies

a LT Com Fighting is worth a VA who is on autofire or doesn't target turrets or guards
Thank you for this obvious and utterly useless observation.

Let's continue:

A T1 fighting is worth 1000 VAs who don't turn the game on!!! Wooo!!

Irrelevant information is irrelevant.