Lt. Commander
# 21
08-10-2012, 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrus19 View Post
A refit of something shouldn't look COMPLETELY different from that thing. I.E., changing the backward sweeping nacelle pylons on the akira and sovereign into forward swept pylons on the armitage and regent respectively is a complete change of the look of the ship, it is not, as you say, keeping to the fundamentals of the sovereign.
Uh, the Constitution went from perfectly straight pylons to swept back and replaced most of the structure of of the main hull and neck, and it's the first refit seen in any Star Trek material ever. So... Yeah.
Starfleet Veteran
# 22
08-10-2012, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by terloki View Post
Uh, the Constitution went from perfectly straight pylons to swept back and replaced most of the structure of of the main hull and neck, and it's the first refit seen in any Star Trek material ever. So... Yeah.
And if anything, the "fundamentals" of most Feddie ship design is the "nacelles, pylons, saucer, hull" quardifecta. Everything else is flavor.
Captain
# 23
08-10-2012, 02:47 AM
A Sovereign with forward facing Pylons, nice!!!
As long as the other Sovereign variants are still available, i don't see a problem.
Personally i find pylons with holes much worse than forward or backward facing pylons.

Are there any pictures of it?

Live long and prosper.

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
T6 Guardian Class design / A 25th century Ambassador refit
Lieutenant
# 24
08-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
And if anything, the "fundamentals" of most Feddie ship design is the "nacelles, pylons, saucer, hull" quardifecta. Everything else is flavor.
The saucer shape and design did not change drastically, the hull shape and design did not change drastically, the nacelles were the same length, and went from round to sort of trapezoidal, again, not really that drastic of a change (as opposed to, say, the armitage nacelles versus the Akira nacelles). Finally, the pylons. They do get swept back instead of straight up, but I would argue that they stay straight (as in, not curved), and at basically the same angle, and going from straight up and down to swept back when they are that far UP rather than back, is not that much of a change compared to the extreme swept back nature of the sovvie versus the forward swept regent.

But, as jamjam said, their intent is to give extreme variety. I just think it shouldn't be called a Refit then.

Edit: Oh...also..."Chicken in a pan." I think if TV producers came to the conclusion that it was a bad design, unless you have figured out a way to cure that problem, you shouldn't just go back and use rejected designs.