Lt. Commander
So I finally got my second character to rear admiral, this time my science captain, who I've really enjoyed playing up to this point. The Interpid class was fun to play but while opening some Tholian boxes I got the Mirror Star Cruiser box and decided to give that a try at RA, figuring the 2 extra weapon slots would be nice for my Tetryon/Transphasic shield busting build, but I found the Sovy to be way too sluggish for my tastes and despite the extra weapons and a ridiculous hull rating of over 55k, I just didn't feel at all effective in it.

I recently used my RA token and picked up a DSSV and have been loving it so far. I am running a Tetryon/Transphasic set up basically spamming torps with my Tac BO and using the Tetyrons to burn down shields fast along with my science BOFF powers that do the same. Right now I just have sort of the generic set up with Tachyon Deflector, Covariant Cap X2 shield, and a set of very rare impulse engines that dropped in a Romulan mission. I'm about to complete Coliseum and get the Reman shields, which I've loved on my Engineer until I got the MACO shield, but I'm wondering if there isn't a better option for Science.

Keep in mind this would just be until I can start running STFs to get the MACO/Borg gear and probably won't be until well after I hit VA. I'm trying to decide whether I want to go for the Breen or the Jem Hadar set and just looking for those who have used either to chime in. Does the 2-piece Breen bonus really make your Transphasics that much more effective, because on paper it looks like Reman shield + Breen Engines/Deflector would be a nice package. I don't mind switching to Polarons either, if the Jem Hadar set is head and shoulders better.

Thoughts?
Career Officer
# 2
08-08-2012, 10:15 PM
A good set, if you can get some one to craft it for you would be the ageis set, it should last you till you start running stfs for the sets, that or go with the romulan set (more work thou since you need to farm out the vault event to get it)
Click to visit Subspace-Radio
Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Yeah I'm not sure if I have time to farm the Reman set, though I want to try a plasma torp boat with that set so badly, just don't really have the play time to grind it out.
Captain
# 4
08-08-2012, 10:28 PM
By the time you managed to collect any of the sets you'll be of a level to run normal-difficulty STFs anyways. The Breen and JH sets are alright in the interim, but what you have now sounds like it'll be enough to collect 10 EDCs for the Borg engine and deflector and skip the middle ground. Why bother regearing just to do so again in a week?
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginamala78 View Post
By the time you managed to collect any of the sets you'll be of a level to run normal-difficulty STFs anyways. The Breen and JH sets are alright in the interim, but what you have now sounds like it'll be enough to collect 10 EDCs for the Borg engine and deflector and skip the middle ground. Why bother regearing just to do so again in a week?
Honestly I just like to play the content and won't go into STFs till I am at VA and have done everything else and well geared. I don't like playing them without a full loadout of quality gear, as there are far too many skittle boats and under equipped ships as is in STF normals.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
08-09-2012, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashuk2381 View Post
Sovy to be way too sluggish for my tastes and despite the extra weapons and a ridiculous hull rating of over 55k, I just didn't feel at all effective in it. ?
The MSC might look like a Sovy but it has the stats of a star cruiser, so if you wanted less sluggish, a MAC would be the way to go
Captain
# 7
08-09-2012, 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
The MSC might look like a Sovy but it has the stats of a star cruiser, so if you wanted less sluggish, a MAC would be the way to go
'Sluggish' probably refers to turn rate, and both have the same at 7 degrees a second base, much slower than the DSSV's 11 degrees a second.

The MSC's Fire power will be a bit lower than a MAC with only 2 Tac console slots and a single Lt. Tac. BOff, but can shield tank a bit better with 3 Sci consoles and an extra Ens. Sci BOff.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Yeah, the turn rate is just too slow for me and since I like to use torpedoes quite a bit I prefer the faster turning science ship. Not to mention more science BOFF slots for more shield stripping/debuffing.
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
08-09-2012, 08:34 AM
Do enough STFs (10) to get the Borg Deflector and Engine, use the Reman Shield and get the Borg Assimilated Module.

Good enough for PVE and normal STFs.

As a Fresh VA Sci (alt) starting the Romulan series (pretty much ground mirror event over a few months to level) that's my intent and I've got the engine already and may not even bother with the Deflector for awhile.
I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001.
If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.