Lt. Commander
# 1 MMORPG Content Extravaganza
11-18-2009, 06:11 PM
The folks at MMORPG have two tidbits for you today: an editorial about the most important aspects of the Star Trek franchise, and an update with three new screenshots. Check them out.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?game=352&feature=3727&bhcp=1
Characters on the crew

I know that Cryptic's design for STO puts each player in control of his or her own ship. I also know that the design as it stands now, doesn't allow for player controlled crews (ie: each player has a job to do), and instead relies upon NPC crews.

I can personally get past the idea of not having real people under my command, but it's going to be absolutely unforgivable from a Trek perspective if Cryptic hasn't done something to make those NPCs feel like real people. If they all just boil down to a set of stats, someone has missed the boat.

As many critics of STO have mentioned, probably the single most defining aspect of all of the Trek series and movies has been the cast of characters that were assembled. While the captain has always been the focal point, he (or she) has never been the be-all and end-all of the show. It's the interactions of the different personalities on the crew that give the franchise its broad appeal and longevity.

If Cryptic plays their cards right, they could capture that same feeling, even with NPCs. Give them a little bit of personality, give them back stories. Heck, they could even allow NPC crew members to initiate missions. Maybe we could solve a problem on our Operations Officer's home world, or help rescue our security chief's sister from the Orions.

If you want to populate my ship with NPCs, Cryptic, that's your call. But as a Trek fan, I'm putting the onus on you to make them an interesting and engaging part of my game experience.
No player run crews is the headline yet again. I understand the reasons why and I agree on all the points for not having it. However, the public outside these forums (and plenty on the forums) do not understand.

Cryptic, I hope you know this is STO's Achilles' heel when it comes to PR. This is always the issue that comes up when I talk about STO in other games. I hope you will heed the advice given in this section of the MMORPG article and I hope it's not too late in the development cycle for you to turn this around. This is STO's lemon and you need to turn it into lemonade.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Hey, the excelsior is flying past the same "space city" as an akira did in a screenshot a while back. Anyone else notice that?
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master
No player run crews is the headline yet again. I understand the reasons why and I agree on all the points for not having it. However, the public outside these forums (and plenty on the forums) do not understand.

Cryptic, I hope you know this is STO's Achilles' heel when it comes to PR. This is always the issue that comes up when I talk about STO in other games. I hope you will heed the advice given in this section of the MMORPG article and I hope it's not too late in the development cycle for you to turn this around. This is STO's lemon and you need to turn it into lemonade.
A similar thought ran through my head reading the quoted section from the article; however, I am drawing a blank when I think about a game I've played where the NPC content had depth and longevity. IMO, this is a feat that has never been done properly, at least by the standards many of us are expecting. If STO is even remotely successful in creating a personal and immersive NPC environment for each and every ship and crew, I would think it would be considered a huge success. To be totally honest, I think a lot of us have completely unrealistic expectations as to what we're going to get out of the gate.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighair83 View Post
A similar thought ran through my head reading the quoted section from the article; however, I am drawing a blank when I think about a game I've played where the NPC content had depth and longevity. IMO, this is a feat that has never been done properly, at least by the standards many of us are expecting. If STO is even remotely successful in creating a personal and immersive NPC environment for each and every ship and crew, I would think it would be considered a huge success. To be totally honest, I think a lot of us have completely unrealistic expectations as to what we're going to get out of the gate.
I totally agree with this -- especially the part about NPC content. I think some people may be expecting too much out of that aspect of the game, but everything that I've seen about the game so far makes me think that this issue will be handled better in Star Trek Online than other games I have played in the genre. I wish people wouldn't constantly complain about the lack of player crews without really experiencing it firsthand; sure, it may be disappointing in concept, but I highly doubt that this one issue is going to make or break the game's future.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Perpetual spoiled many when they announced they were making the game with player operated ships. With npcs taking over when that player couldn't be online. While this would have been amazing there would of still been a down side some way. When cryptic got the license i was hoping for the same but now i think i might like the game better the way it is, especially if they some how can make the npc act more realistic, and once they let you be able to walk the entire ship i will be sold. If they some how would make it where players controlled i wouldn't be disappointed one bit tho. I would of kinda like to seen how they sent you thru the academy and you aged when rising in ranks lol.
Lt. Commander
# 7 Jon wood
11-18-2009, 09:16 PM
why do so many people presume to judge something as bad before trying it? I hated MMORPG'S negitivaty. I won't be reading any more stuff from MMORPG.

ps. I hope that jon wood (donkey), stays away from STO. (I don't need the air sucked out of my game)
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Ugh, I gotta say, the idea of player run ships is anathema to how I want to play a star trek game. I love that cryptic has us as the captain. Maybe in the future, if they have it as an option for other people, fine. I don't want to role play as ensign Ricky. I'm the main character, and I would never play a game where I was forced to play second fiddle. I can understand not being as cool as someone else, that's natural. There will always be people better than you. But at least as the captains/main character, I can go off on my own and do cool things. Ensign Ricky is trapped on the star ship and has no say in where they go. Ugh. Thank you, but I'll stay in the captain's seat.
Lt. Commander
# 9 I Second That !!
11-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stadred View Post
Ugh, I gotta say, the idea of player run ships is anathema to how I want to play a star trek game. I love that cryptic has us as the captain. Maybe in the future, if they have it as an option for other people, fine. I don't want to role play as ensign Ricky. I'm the main character, and I would never play a game where I was forced to play second fiddle. I can understand not being as cool as someone else, that's natural. There will always be people better than you. But at least as the captains/main character, I can go off on my own and do cool things. Ensign Ricky is trapped on the star ship and has no say in where they go. Ugh. Thank you, but I'll stay in the captain's seat.
I love the direction cryptic is taking the game. It's like decorating your house. If you doit yourself it can look good. But if a pro decorator does it it will be way better.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-19-2009, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
why do so many people presume to judge something as bad before trying it? I hated MMORPG'S negitivaty. I won't be reading any more stuff from MMORPG.
I agree with you, I don't like the way they come up with what STO should do to avoid disapointing ST fans. They above all should know an MMORPG can't stick too close to the canon, because the pace of a tv show and the pace of a mmorpg are different. I just loved seasons 1 to 3 of DS9 but would it be funny to play a game with the same pace and taste ?

To put it simply an mmorpg, ANY mmorpg is closer to a FPS than it is to SIMS online. Sure ST is about people and their interactions but not only ; and people interaction in an mmorpg is what happens in a guild structure, you can't recreate it in the game, it has to come from the people who play the game.