Commander
# 151
09-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
All the complaints? There's not that many people complaining and many people, myself included, LIKE the change!!!

I can understand why some peeps dislike them. It might be a good thing to have an option for turning them off, but in many situations they GREATLY improve the visibility of things I want to find. And that is good!
Well, that's a matter of personal preference, as I find making things easy to find incredibly boring (go to the flashing light, click, go to the flashing light, click again, good boy!), and could always get better results by simply using a tricorder scan (which oddly you always have with you).

However, these aren't a matter of personal preference, and those of us who find them extremely distracting, offensive, and a severe break in emersion are forced to endure them for the sake of those who can't live without them. For that reason, I intend to continue to post Admiral's Logs in this or another thread until either they are made optional (which they should have been from the beginning of the game), or eliminated entirely (not just changed to a cute pink teddy bear hovering over the item and making little pixie-magic sounds).

After all, how would -you- react if, in the next Star Trek film, Kirk and Spock calmly sit in the Briefing Room while the main computer terminal is burning right next to Kirk's arm? Or even worse yet, consoles all over the ship are pulsing with energy and emitting a flaming aura, and no one seems to find it out of the ordinary, even when a close up of a main character or console readout is completely blinded out by the glow? I think you'd consider that pretty bad cinematography and special effects use, wouldn't you?

Lastly, if the effect -were- part of a Star Trek film, not having the main characters react to it would seem unrealistic, yes? And if they did react to it, wouldn't they stop at nothing to correct the issue, even leaving off the story the movie was -supposed- to be about to do so?

I think you get the point.

Last edited by danqueller; 09-04-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Career Officer
# 152
09-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danqueller View Post
could always get better results by simply using a tricorder scan (which oddly you always have with you).
"Commanders log, note to Starfleet Corps of Engineers, when I set my tricorder to scan for creepy cloud vampires, why does it take me to hidden caches of power cells or weird anomalies before it will even try to look for the vampire cloud?"
Lieutenant
# 153
09-04-2012, 12:12 PM
It's an awful looking effect which completely distorts the shape of the object it intends to highlight.

Ditch it; please. If they want to make the interaction indicator so simplistic just go with having the object slowly flash like in a host of other MMOs.

The space candle flames look atrocious.
Empire Veteran
# 154
09-04-2012, 12:30 PM
If we had creepy wine, creepy food and a creepy server, the lighting would be kinda nice.
He who laughs last thinks slowest.
Career Officer
# 155
09-14-2012, 02:11 AM
So several patches later and this is still being ignored? Cryptic please sort out this nonsense!
Career Officer
# 156
09-14-2012, 02:47 AM
Have to agree that the new highlight graphics are over the top. There should be an option to disable it.
Career Officer
# 157
09-14-2012, 09:29 AM
I thought a lot of people would get behind this but seems not that many are bothered, ah well, something else we have to live with I guess.
Captain
# 158
09-16-2012, 07:01 PM
I concur that the new creepy candle effect is way over the top - I liked the older "flashing" better.

Joint Dev/Community discussion on customizable and gameplay-relevant ship interiors:
Proposal Document // Feedback Thread
Commander
# 159
09-18-2012, 09:39 AM
I miss the old days.

I remember crawling through the pixelated corridors of Dungeon Master or Eye of the Beholder, searching the walls for secret buttons; carefully checking every corner of the room for that magic ring or block of cheese.

They didn't glow, they didn't flash, they didn't have giant indicators floating over them, yet somehow, I was able to find these things. In fact, doing so was part of the FUN of playing the game.

MMOs take their origins from games like that. It's a shame and a loss that developers have forgotten it.
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!
Career Officer
# 160
09-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelmarik View Post
I miss the old days.

Me too. Or when you had to travel your mouse over the entire screen to see when it changed to 'the hand' so you knew something was activate-able.