Republic Veteran
# 31
08-09-2012, 07:09 PM
The only reason I can think of for all the changes from the original version is, people still complain that they can't find the consoles. Though I'm hardly surprised. Given how stupid some people I regularly deal with are, I fully expect it to get more in your face soon.

"Click on the console."
"wht consol?"
"The one with the glowing panel in the room."
"whr??"
"To the left of the doorway."
"i dnt se it."
"The one with the gear over it."
"wht gear????"
"The one covered in light and bright."
"i dnt se it. cme shw me."
"Fine... Well that explains it, you are in the wrong room. You had to leave the original room, travel half the station, take a wrong turn, and fight 50 more nemeies that you didn't need to to get to this room. What the hell."
"sry. whr consol?"
"Follow me."
"whr u go?????"
"I'm standing in the door way still."
"whr is tht?"
".... You are on you're own. The developers will dumb down the game some more for you in a later patch."

Last edited by kittieshaufer; 08-09-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Captain
# 32
08-09-2012, 07:13 PM
I really dislike it. It seems completely out of context with the rest of the game. It reminds me of Fable II, which is not a good thing.
Career Officer
# 33
08-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Dear Cryptic,

Stop ****ing with **** and spend your time fixing actual bugs and developing new content.

Sincerely,
Mr. Happy HappyJoyJoy
# 34
08-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Don't we all know Cryptic are like politicians, they have something working right and then change it and screw it up.

I prefer the older version, worked fine and if people can't find them then now are they going to find these ones? I say tell them to look harder and revert to the older ones and use this new animation for something in missions or the foundry etc so work and time isn't wasted.
Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
Commander
# 35
08-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Okay. I thought the flashing consoles all over my ship were beyond the pale, considering you get a pop-up window when you are within interaction range of any of them and don't -need- to actually know where they are. All it does is break immersion and distract.

Now, apparently, we have players who can't use consoles -even with all of that-. And so, the Devs decide we all have to suffer so that those players who can't figure out where stuff already blasting their eyeballs is, and so they now make it look like my ready room is on fire.

And -still- no option to turn off either the fire or the flashing interact aura. Both of these should have always been an option-to-toggle from the get-go. Why the devs couldn't understand this, I don't understand. Didn't they think people would -want- to be able to ignore such distractions after they memorize where things are?

I put up with the flashing aura, even though it almost makes me want to never use the interior of my ships. But this is beyond tolerable. Did they think we wouldn't notice? That we are as moronic as the players who can't even find a console with a dialogue box popping right up in their noses?

Or maybe they just think the target playerbase for STO is the same as 'that other major sci-fi francise RPMMO game that came out this year'? In other words, that players of their game are incapable of doing anything for themselves and must be led by the nose and spoon-fed their game to avoid actually making them feel uncomfortable?

Maybe time to go look for a new game, if so.
Captain
# 36
08-09-2012, 08:28 PM
How blind and stupid do they think we are?

You know, I remember playing games like Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master. In those games you had to actually pay attention to your surroundings. There were secret doors and little treasures and items all over the place - and none of them glowed like a flipping christmas tree - and somehow we found them. No giant circle on a map (indeed, no map!), no glowing flashing or blinking. We just had to pay attention.

I mean, come on. At least give us the option to turn this crap OFF. I don't need a giant gear floating over a door to tell me it's a door. I don't need a giant number floating over the big red circle under my away team member to tell me he's standing there. I have EYES and a BRAIN. Stop insulting my intelligence.

Get rid of it, or make it optional.
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

Crafting, Exploration and Interaction as it should be:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1108521
Captain
# 37
08-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Make it a UI option we can turn off. The brain-dead crowd who can't find things without being smacked in the face with them can leave these effects on, those of us with eyes and brains can turn them off and enjoy the game.
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

Crafting, Exploration and Interaction as it should be:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1108521
Lt. Commander
# 38
08-09-2012, 08:57 PM
I haven't seen this effect anywhere else but the kdf academy, but from the aura around the exchange and bank consoles, it's actually pretty nice to look at...almost soothing...like a lava lamp.
Captain
# 39
08-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Lava... lamp... consoles? Fire? WHAT?!?!? I'll be right back......

EDITafaq? What is that? It looks like something from Skyrim, or Zelda, Not Star Trek.

EDIT: EDIT: Okay, it would make sense around the Precursor or Iconian technology, around everything else it just looks comical. Unless the Iconians are more insidious than we thought.....
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

Last edited by centersolace; 08-09-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 40
08-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Well, you know starfleet has a habit of using explosive consoles...