Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Captain
# 21
08-10-2012, 01:28 PM
The forums are a good starter, however there is a lot of contradiction here as well. Certain people will say certain abilities are crap based on half tested theories making full conclusions whereas certain people will spend millions of ec's and zen points thoroughly testing things.

My best advice is get one mentor, listen to him and no one else for a while. Absorb all you can off him/her and then start to experiment or else you'll turn out like the captain of USS Tolerance (we all know who that is) who is famous for some of the most half baked self proclaimed superior build.

Also, what type of pvp are you after? 1 v 1 or my favourite, full blown premade 5 v 5 matches where the most skill is required. Where your true metal is shown an where legends are born (ok might be over doing it.....lol)

Reference getting a mentor of sorts, ask around for advice and i'm sure you'll be pointed in the right direction.

Usually thats why the Panda cubs channel is dead. Most of them are now in other pvp fleets or being mentored 1 to 1. Its a place to make first contact for help on pvp. OPVP can be daunting to new comers so the sad panda cubs channel is a type of safe zone for new starters where no question is a noob question.
aka NazHuggyBear2

"No, there is no real problem with P2W in STO. Obviously, if you fight against someone with an equal level of skill in the game, better equipment will give you an edge. But usually, it is the skill level that determines the outcome, not the P2W." - Sprinkles
Captain
# 22
08-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Have to agree with ghosty that binding TT isn't a good idea. EPtS is arguable (personally I don't since I like to switch stuff up a lot and I'm not always running two copies) but while you want TT up as much as possible, it's also situational and saving it can save your life while using it can lose it.
Career Officer
# 23
08-10-2012, 02:05 PM
I rarely get caught in the 5 sec TT window. It's actually more frequent that when I get alphaed, my TT will fail to activate a few times before doing it.

EPtoS: Well, I use RSP on most my builds, so if I have 2, I have two EPtos1s.

The whole thing about managing everything, memorizing to the nanosecond the timer of every buff you and your opponents are running, it's all well ang good. That's why in my original keybinds post wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dassemsto View Post
This is especially important for new players, so bind as much as possible; and then, as you get better control, you can start micromanaging.
I don't know about others, but for the first 6 months of STO, I could spend 100% of my attention managing my own buffs. When I finally started binding, my pvp performance skyrocketed. These days, I will tailor my binds with more discretion.
Banned
# 24
08-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Quote:
I rarely get caught in the 5 sec TT window. It's actually more frequent that when I get alphaed, my TT will fail to activate a few times before doing it.

EPtoS: Well, I use RSP on most my builds, so if I have 2, I have two EPtos1s.

The whole thing about managing everything, memorizing to the nanosecond the timer of every buff you and your opponents are running, it's all well ang good. That's why in my original keybinds post wrote:

I don't know about others, but for the first 6 months of STO, I could spend 100% of my attention managing my own buffs. When I finally started binding, my pvp performance skyrocketed. These days, I will tailor my binds with more discretion.
When I started, buff management was never an issue. I came off from playing RTS games which require the fastest reflexes of all games. (think doing 400+ actions per minute, this includes building new units, micromanaging existing ones, attacking defending, microing resource gatherers to take the most efficient path etc, researching the tech tree) And alot of fighting games at the time.

Even without that though, it's not terribly hard to keep up with an ability every 30 seconds, or every 15 seconds. heck you can count that out, or short count, and watch the timer if you had to. the game operates on, 15 second CD/15 Second Double cooldown. 30 second timer, 15 second shared cooldown. 45 second activation, 30 second shared cooldown, 1 minute activation, 45 second shared cd.

That's the bread and butter right there.

Then you have some more complexities that are easy to remember as they are all tac skills. Tac Team, 30 second cooldown, 10 second uptime. 15 second shared. See? not hard.
Career Officer
# 25
08-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyandfrosty View Post
That's the bread and butter right there.

Then you have some more complexities that are easy to remember as they are all tac skills. Tac Team, 30 second cooldown, 10 second uptime. 15 second shared. See? not hard.
yeah, keeping counters running in your head for 30 abilities, no big deal? ow about also keeping track of your opponents abilities? Know how long before he can hit HE again... know when his RSF times out... etc. There are 100s of timers that are benefitial to know the status of. Personally, I may be able to keep precise track of 4-5, and a rough estimate (like a feeling) of 15-20 more. (And this is with 2-3 year of experience! At first, I could keep track of 1-2!)

EPtoS is an ability I generally want to spam as soon as it goes off CD, every second lost is lost efficiency. Why should I occupy one of the 4-5 precise slots in my memory of this, when it can be automated and the slot freed up for more constructive uses?

Any ONE ability you can remove from the equation, is one more ability you CAN keep track of.
Banned
# 26
08-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Quote:
yeah, keeping counters running in your head for 30 abilities, no big deal? ow about also keeping track of your opponents abilities? Know how long before he can hit HE again... know when his RSF times out... etc. There are 100s of timers that are benefitial to know the status of. Personally, I may be able to keep precise track of 4-5, and a rough estimate (like a feeling) of 15-20 more. (And this is with 2-3 year of experience! At first, I could keep track of 1-2!)

EPtoS is an ability I generally want to spam as soon as it goes off CD, every second lost is lost efficiency. Why should I occupy one of the 4-5 precise slots in my memory of this, when it can be automated and the slot freed up for more constructive uses?

Any ONE ability you can remove from the equation, is one more ability you CAN keep track of.
That is what buff bars on your target is for.

You know for example HE has a 45 second timer. it has a 15 sec heal. when it's done there will be abit before he can pump it again.
You can do that with every buff and debuff in the game.

If I really want it to become foolproof I time my own buff rotation around theirs the first time to mirror it, to learn their sequence.

It takes time to learn yes. But that's time you are spending (about the same amount) learning either with complex binds or not. Complex binding though, opens up relatively large windows of complete vulnerability once people Read You. It also fails to teach you heightened SA, which leads to harder enemy buff and debuff tracking on your part.

Last edited by ghostyandfrosty; 08-10-2012 at 05:37 PM.