Super Moderator
# 131
08-13-2012, 01:14 PM
I see both sides of the argument and I have to say that the leaver penalty is probably the lesser of two evils.

Is it sometimes preferable to dump a team that has no organization, no sense of teamwork, an 'every man for himself' attitude, and no attempt to listen to anyone else on the team?

Heck, yes. Life is too short to spend two hours doing something that shouldn't take more than 30 minutes and enduring the frustration of other people intent on doing things the hard way.

I have dropped out of teams in another MMO where they would team wipe again, and again, and again because it was every man for himself and they kept plowing ahead and drawing more aggro than the team could handle. It got so bad, I had a "3 team-wipe and out" policy back in those days.

Most of the time, I stuck with the team and we finished the mission. Usually after a team wipe or two, we got our act together, changed our tactics and our teamwork, and got it done. But sometimes it was obviously going to be a miserable time and I dropped out.

But in dropping the group, I make that group's difficulty level in completing that mission even harder than it was. I have to accept that there should be some consequences in doing that.

The original leaver penalty was instituted because there were enough people who were bad sports about it that it was a noticeable problem. People were bailing out of match after match after match looking for the 'perfect' team. Don't forget that.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Survivor of Romulus
# 132
08-13-2012, 01:16 PM
any mission that reaches 1 hour should End (ideally with the Enterprise Warping in and finishing the mission in 30 seconds)
Starfleet Veteran
# 133
08-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogerty1 View Post
should not have to FORCE players at my calibre with F2P noobs....

noobsters

Craptic

bandwagoners

Osama Bin Biden the Kenyan Fraudster-In-Chief

libtards
Maybe if you didn't come off as an elitist, entitled, sour-grapes-having, name-calling DB(enjoy the irony of that sentence) people would care more about the merit of your (flawed) argument?

Probably not.

But even if I thought you had a point, I wouldn't support it because of your inability to complete a post without being insulting or holding yourself out as some sort of l33t badass.
Career Officer
# 134
08-14-2012, 01:25 AM
Had a classic example of this in Starbase Incursion earlier.

A engineering Lt, clearly new to the game, joined the team. Of all the enemies we could have gotten, we wound up with the Borg.

Anyway, didn't think too much of it and carried on with trying to find saboteurs only to find noob shooting at one. Soon became obvious that she A: only had the basic weapons (basic hand phaser and MkI phaser rifle) and B: didn't have a remodulator.

Sent her a PM advising her to equip one. No reply, and she just kept shooting at the saboteur, with no effect. Took the saboteur down with my maco rifle and again asked her to use a frequency remodulator. No reply. Decided to leave her to run off and die, and carried on with the saboteur search. Judging by her status, she spent a lot of time dead!

Didn't encounter her again until round 2, when I died and respawned to find her shooting at Borg in the 'entrance' area - again, with no effect. Advised her to equip a remodulator, and posted it on Team Chat this time, to which a few other players chimed in and told her to do the same. Nothing.

Needless to say, nothing changed and we completed the mission as a four-person team since engineer-noob simply fired her super soaker and then died more times than I could count - although I guess she was more use in respawn oblivion than she was firing her peashooter at the Borg.

Sad really though - she undoubtedly received fleet marks anyway. Although, point is, I didn't bail - neither did anyone else, and whilst we clearly had to 'carry' engineer-noob, we still received our fleet marks.

Sent her a remodulator subsequent to the end of the mission, with an explaination of what it does and why trying to fight the Borg is pointless if you haven't got one.

Seriously though - whilst I don't usually moan and new players in these missions don't usually bother me; Dev's - PLEASE don't send brand-new players into missions that involve the Borg!!
Personal T6 Ship Wishlist:

Nova/Rhode Island class with Hybrid Pilot BOFF seat.

That is all. (guess this wasn't really a 'list' after all!)

Last edited by reyan01; 08-14-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Commander
# 135
08-14-2012, 09:02 AM
In engineer-noob's defense (of the first time she was found not doing damage), the earliest Borg in the game don't require a remodulator. She probably thought (at first) that these Borg were like the Borg in the tutorial, which melt like butter under a normal phaser.

However, after being told several times "Hey, you need to get a remodulator or your weapon won't work", she has no excuse. I kind of wonder why when the first Borg adapted she didn't type something into chat like "O_o It won't die, what's going on?" I know I would have if I was new and that happened. Or you know, at least replied with a "Oh, okay. Where do I get one of those?" if someone else brought it up.
Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Ensign
# 136
08-14-2012, 09:17 AM
I used to let new players bother me until I tried to use 3 alts to farm starbase incursion, I no longer care how much fleet marks I get or the fact that noobs can't tell the difference between mob that says above their heads Saboteur, and a turret on the floor, that says Turret, or a guard that roams and doesn't say saboteur - in fact thinking about it I think I'm ready to leave the real life zone right now because of these players unwilling to read the bit of text on the right of the screen that clearly states finding and eliminating Saboteurs, not Turrets, not Guards SABOTEURS!!!!!!

So far using 3 toons, especially Caitians (Jump on to the sides of the walls to avoid 90% of the mobs) on the Fed side takes the stress away for me entirely and doesn't make me want to leave the zone early.
Rihannsu
# 137
08-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
any mission that reaches 1 hour should End (ideally with the Enterprise Warping in and finishing the mission in 30 seconds)
I still remember what happened in my 4 hour attempt at playing the old broke Romulan Temple. We started with 5 guys and one dropped so we had to play most of the mission with only 4. What really made it he11? mostly the mission bugs. peeps would spawn inside this stupid ------ pole that decorated the spawn point for no good reason. Also if your party got wiped midway between spawn points you'd have the unfortunate issue of having half the team go to one spawn point and the other half go to the other. The only way I was able to finish that was having a good team. What did I get out of it? Praetor. I had to shoot so many Romulans in that one mission I got the Praetor title.

Anyways.... staying in the mission for 4 hours was worse than any Early leaver penalty could ever be...... playing for 4 hours straight made my hands hurt.....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Super Moderator
# 138
08-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Anyways.... staying in the mission for 4 hours was worse than any Early leaver penalty could ever be...... playing for 4 hours straight made my hands hurt.....
You were probably thinking, "Gee, I could use a half-hour break about now..."

Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Rihannsu
# 139
08-14-2012, 01:08 PM
>_< yeah really.... 4 hours of getting ambushed by respawned at random Romulans is tiring on the fingers.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Survivor of Romulus
# 140
08-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Time to FIX the Borg as well (in incursion they should NEVER appear BUT)

we need to fit ALL weapons with auto remodulate (no more mouse clicking to do it )
surely starfleet has thought of this
(or issue chainsaws)
Closed Thread