Career Officer
# 81
08-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theindefatigable View Post
Oh believe me, I try. You assume that most less experienced players actually listen to advice, or even care. When I enter a team mission that I am unfamiliar with, I ask for advice and I listen to it. If everyone did that, I would hardly ever quit out of a mission. I know this because whenever a mission is going badly, if even some of the team is communicating and clearly trying then I almost never abandon them.
I try multiple times. If people don't listen the first time around then I try to give advice again. Sometimes I have to do it on the local channel or use emotes to get their attention because some people aren't watching team chat.

If the situation is truly hopeless someone always quits before I do. When I finally am forced to quit whatever coding there is recognizes others have quite before I did. Then I can try again with NO leaver penalty. Simple as that.
Starfleet Veteran
# 82
08-12-2012, 05:07 PM
I'm fine with the penalty to be honest. Having been in a few groups now where people have bailed before we even started I'm fine with them been penalised for it. The irony is, that if people just stuck to the groups and played, they'd probably earn more Fleet Marks per hour as they wouldn't have as much time spent in queues.

To be honest, this is why I hate the queue mechanic in MMO's, ever since it appeared its just encouraged anti-social behavior in MMO's where team mates don't even bother to talk to each other anymore and leave on a whim because they can just join another group. I miss the good old days, even though getting a group together was more of a hassle, you atleast communicated with other people and made more of an effort to ensure everyone in the group knew what was going on.

My views are my own and may not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment
Captain
# 83
08-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
As far as the leaver penalty is concerned it only affects one character. If you are worried you can switch characterss and play again.
This is why they should make the Leaver penalty Account wide. Of course I know that unless they put in a AFK penalty this wont solve anything. People will just go AFK to avoid the penalty.

ORDEROFPERSISTANCE CHATCHANNEL Album of my S8 Crash sigs. Free use to any who want them!
http://s179.photobucket.com/user/fis...line/s8%20sigs
Commander
# 84
08-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by piwright42 View Post
Please allow me to highlight the operating adverb that makes you response pedantic,

"BTW, is near impossible..."

See I never said impossible, I did say almost, nigh, just about, close to , fairly or any other synonym you could think of. Then I listed an example in parenthesis. For that matter much like you, (and as I said before), most of my toons have precious few accolades but I did notice I managed to get many of the damage dealt and received ones from story play and PvP.
It is not near impossible. It is not almost, nigh, just about, close to, fairly or any-other-synonym-you-could-think-of impossible. It is actually quite on the opposite side of impossible, as in quite ridiculously easy to get to VA without the kill accolades.

So your statement is simply just PLAIN WRONG.

I wasn't trying to be "pedantic" in my first post, but now I am.

Good day.
Husker - RugBurn
Zaan - Mel'Kor - Zarek
Captain
# 85
08-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Quote:
This is why they should make the Leaver penalty Account wide. Of course I know that unless they put in a AFK penalty this wont solve anything. People will just go AFK to avoid the penalty.
I'd get a second account, problem fixed.
Rihannsu
# 86
08-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admrenlarreck View Post
What you are saying is akin to lowering the speed limit on a closed expressway/freeway from, say, 65 mph--already slow to many drivers--to 45 mph because inexperienced drivers (or people who don't like or don't care about driving well) are intimidated by the higher speeds. How about suggesting that those drivers use surface roads instead? Or, better yet, increasing the speed limit to European levels (80 mph is fairly standard, even in tiny Luxembourg) so that people will actually pay attention like they should while driving at such speeds or pay the penalty?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll close my round of posts in this thread with a reiteration of this point: if you are going to step up penalties against leavers, you had better balance that by stepping up penalties (or actually creating them in the first place) against the careless players who prompt people to quit in the first place. A vote to kick option seems to be the best bet, requiring three players to vote you out at first and then just two if you have been kicked a lot recently (or perhaps you can get the same penalty leavers get if you get kicked too many times within a certain span of time). Votes to kick should be broadcast automatically to the team so that the other players know what is going on. It won't help veterans stuck in bad STF's where too many of the others are clueless, but it would help. A vet is also more likely to get other players to support his/her vote-to-kick attempt if the vet clearly offered advice along the way and the malfeasant player clearly ignored said advice, which is good if it means vets will be more likely to communicate as well instead of just blowing up and/or quitting as soon as somebody makes a mistake.

Don't like the vote-to-kick idea? I'm not entirely convinced of it myself. How about we just go back to the way things were then and call it square, without stepping up the leaver's penalties? Because if you do that, I say it's only fair that players who are actually trying to do a good job can boot your hide if you wander about aimlessly mucking things up!

Former/Cryptic Name: Captain_Hans_Langsdorff
Founding member, Special Service Squadron
"Fear God and Dread Nought." First Sea Lord, Adm. Jacky Fisher

Last edited by theindefatigable; 08-12-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Lieutenant
# 87
08-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by velktra View Post
Low level players trying to earn fleet marks are not leechers. They're just trying to contribute to their fleet's projects just like you.
Agreed

Quote:
Fleet events are not "elite type missions", and to get to No Win (the event you're complaining about) you have to be a Vice Admiral. That's the only requirement. And how the hell are "lowbies" supposed to learn how to run a fleet event if they don't play them? (Answer: they can't.)
By learning how to play the dam game through storylines and doing things like PVP as well. Not asking ME to teach and carry them. That's for their fleeters to do.
Quote:
You want to exclude "lowbies" because "they aren't experienced enough". You're claiming that you're more qualified for whatever reason. Guess what? That's elitism.
Wrong, it is called FED UP.
Too Bad, So Sad
PS: Sollvax, no need to add your worthless wooden nickel comments.

Lieutenant
# 88
08-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynoldsxd View Post
Accolades.
Seriously. Accolades?

What kind of demon keeled over and spilled his horrid essense over basic logic to make you think that accolades are in any way a proper method of appraising ones skill?
Very simple, it gives them a pile of 2% chances to hold up better to NPC hits (Kill and Damage).

Second, it shows they took the time to learn how to play.

Rank doesn't mean zilch anymore, because everyone becomes a VA in like a week. Doesn't mean they spent anytime learning how to play.
Too Bad, So Sad

Empire Veteran
# 89
08-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltinpolar View Post
It is not near impossible. It is not almost, nigh, just about, close to, fairly or any-other-synonym-you-could-think-of impossible. It is actually quite on the opposite side of impossible, as in quite ridiculously easy to get to VA without the kill accolades.

So your statement is simply just PLAIN WRONG.

I wasn't trying to be "pedantic" in my first post, but now I am.

Good day.
0.o

Sorry you read all my posts plain wrong.

I never once mentioned kill accolades like you get from killing x number of Romulans or Klingons. I said damage dealt and received, you know the kind that come from firing phasers and disruptors and polarons, or Punching Bag's kinetic damage received.

If you actually play the game, (and not level only by DOFFing), it is nigh impossible to get past LtC, (level 20), without getting the Punching Bag accolade from getting hit by NPC and or player torps and mines.

So in fact you are the one who is quite wrong.

And a hearty good day to you too SIR! HarumPH!!!

*Storms off in an over animated mock huff, gets off stage and dies laughing*
If you are a pickle in a pickle jar you know every pickle's different, sort of, but really they're all just pickles...
They taste the same.
Lieutenant
# 90
08-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amayakitsune View Post
Ive been reading this topic from the beginning... and I dont think anyone has ever agreed with you...
Then I guess you don't comprehend what you read. Try brushing up on reading comprehension.

Quote:
So in this this instance... 'lowbie noobs' are what? Level 45 players? Because thats the level when STFs open up... And if youve never won 1 Infected Ground mission on Normal... then you have more problems you need to take a look at... because even with PUGs I won more missions than I failed on that one...
Well, aren't you the privledged queen? Some of us aren't as lucky to have all of our capable friends on at the same time and are forced to PUG it. As stated earlier, RANK MEANS NOTHING. VA in a week, no stroylines, no pvp jump right in and wreck it all is about your typical F2P noob.

Problems? how about ON REZ, in chat, try yelling: wait do not run ahead, and wham, everything aggroed, impossible to reach hostages in time, mission done almost immediately. THAT is the problem with ALL of the noobsters.

Go ahead and tell me I am wrong on that.

ELITE?? I finished those a long time ago, luckily finished Cure and KA Normal, but Infected Ground? 400+ times, NEVER.

Quote:
What the heck are you spending hundreds of thousands of ECs on to finish missions? Hypos? Batteries? What? Because Ive been running STFs for a long while... and I dont think Ive spend that much, even on failed runs... and I dont hardly buy anything for the new Fleet missions.
Give the girl a Quipy pie for nailing the consumables required.

Lady I have plenty of shielding, weapons and accolades to stand up to a severe beating, but when you are the ONLY one fighting TAC ELITE and REBECCA and throw in some other Borgsters, I don't care how much armor and shielding you have, your eventually going to go down IF you do not use your Hypos or other consumables. That is the fact Jack.

Burning these up every mission digging into EC over and over and over. Because I am usually the only one standing, and listening to AS YOU PUT IT. QQ (I think that means crying) of HELP and HILFE. And my reply? Drop dead.

Quote:
Main point quit with the QQ and deal with getting low level players in public queues. Finish the mission, regardless of the cost, or live with the leaver penalty.
Wrong, I will not spend another consumable or waste my time teaching the stupid and leeching. Not my job, I don't want it, but feel free to take the position anytime you want.
Too Bad, So Sad

Closed Thread