Ensign
# 1 What's changed?
08-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Hello everyone!

I've been gone for a over year now since I rage quit (i know, I'm such a crybaby), but that's not important, what's important is that I'm back.

So I come see the news and I almost panic! News about account shared banks, PvP remakes, tholians... I am completely confused!

Is there a page here where I can check on how much have I actually missed?

Thank you in advance for your answers!
Career Officer
# 2
08-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Yes, it's called "Release Notes".
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
08-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef1188 View Post
Hello everyone!

I've been gone for a over year now since I rage quit (i know, I'm such a crybaby), but that's not important, what's important is that I'm back.

So I come see the news and I almost panic! News about account shared banks, PvP remakes, tholians... I am completely confused!

Is there a page here where I can check on how much have I actually missed?

Thank you in advance for your answers!
Let's see, what's changed. So many things. To sum it up, the game has largely become a naked, cash grab by the publisher/developers, for your hard earned dollars. Imagine scratch tickets with a Star Trek theme. Not that that even makes any sense. The old content that was here when you left, is still around, but is largely ignored, in favor of shiny new systems, all designed around supporting these clever, new devices known as "lockboxes".
Superficially, these devices raise revenue, so developers can improve the game. By releasing new content. Which is usually, focused around new lockboxes. Personally I think the revenue just goes into someone's pocket, as nothing ever seems to really get fixed, or improved to any measurable degree. Other than the lockboxes, that is. Sure you can still play the game, and ignore these things. But you'll be mostly playing the game as it was 2 years ago, with dated gear, ships, etc...

There's a build your own Starbase feature, that is basically a grind game your fleet can engage in. Actually, it's just clever, camoflage for a "build your own fleetyard" so the PvPers can have ships which are marginally better, than the ones you buy. Which based upon the amount of complaints about PvP in this game, would seem to be meaningless, anyway. You can "spruce up" your Starbase. With plants. And windows. If you have 200,000 dilithium to spare.

There's a new currency, lobi crystals. You can find these in the aforementioned lockboxes. Trick is, to open a lockbox, you need to buy keys for real cash. So while the lockboxes are free drops, the means to open them, cost money. Real money. And everything in the lobi store is ridiculously, overpriced, anyways. Basically to get you to buy more keys, to open more lockboxes. Oh, and the lobi crystals are character, not account bound. So you can't even trade them between characters. Cryptic says it has to be this way because of exploits.

Latinum? The most precious metal in the galaxy. That rare fluid, suspended in gold, so prized by any Ferengi able to turn a profit, is still a largely, worthless currency, unless you want to try and fool people into thinking you got a D'Kora from a lockbox, when you actually didn't.

That's pretty much the state of the game right now...

Last edited by mkilczewski; 08-11-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Ensign
# 4
08-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Release notes can only tell you so much, and like today's mainstream media - it can make a can of worms look like candy!

Ah so I see... ferengi troll has been replaced by tholian troll, Money groppling is still all over the place, the not-pay-to-win pay-to-win attitude hasn't gone away, and you can still get all the gold features at half price by purchasing them manually... wonderful!

So many good ol' new things to look forward to. I wonder what's going on in the Dev's heads... is there a name for that private little word of theirs ?!? Oh right... its called disaster online!

THEY ARE NOT GETTING A STINKING CENT FROM ME! See you next year! [Ragequit]

Last edited by beef1188; 08-11-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 5
08-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Welcome Back, here's everything that changed while you were gone

Seven stickies up.
Star Trek: Online - Now with 100% more dinosaurs!!

Last edited by zordar01; 08-11-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
08-12-2012, 08:48 AM
OP: "I'm back! What's changed!"

Other Guys: "Everything, and it all sucks! Go away again!"
Ensign
# 7
08-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Oh my god they took ker'rat missions away, my primary farm is gone. I think im gonna throw up. The game with the potential of being the best game ever in the star trek franchise is completely ruined.
Captain
# 8
08-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef1188 View Post
Oh my god they took ker'rat missions away, my primary farm is gone. I think im gonna throw up. The game with the potential of being the best game ever in the star trek franchise is completely ruined.
Didn't you just "rage quit," again, 3 posts up?
Ensign
# 9
08-13-2012, 04:58 AM
My cousin ran off with my portable hard drive, lost almost 2TB of actually uselful stull so im stuck with whatever i got on my puny HDD.

There isn't much left for me to do actually, I'm just flying around, counting the stars and piling up dilithium.