Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Commander
# 61
08-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar01 View Post
Sorry, there isn't a 100% guaranteed fix unless you eliminate STF's from the PvE queue as Sollvax suggested......... .
sorry there is a very easy way to clearn useless players on 100% i write it a post over you.

all other players are different in effizinz , for gamestyle and co there is no way to sort automaticly on ony way , but if there is a way to delete the most usless players out why not?

Last edited by lostmoony; 08-14-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 62
08-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Create MACO ranks where you earn a small amount of experience every time your group completes the optional in an STF, and require people to be a minimum rank to run elites.

I know it wouldn't guarantee that everyone running elites necessarily knows what they are doing, but it would make it MUCH more difficult for clueless noobs to get into elites. At the least, there wouldn't be as many problems as there are now.

And we could all get extra titles by climbing up the MACO ranks.

Also, I don't know if they have the option to run private STF's, but they should if they don't. That way you can play with just your friends if you want to.
Click here to watch me open 300 Undine lockboxes!
Ensign
# 63
08-15-2012, 02:02 AM
There's no need to keep decrying PUGS

The main problem is people who "think" they know best, sit silently and then just abuse everyone for not doing it their way.

1. There is more than one way to do each elite STF
2. Normal STF's (space certainly) are not teaching people to do the Elites - you can pretty much blast your way through a normal, and too many people do.
3. Few people want to take responsibility for advice (not abuse)
4. I have an 8/10 success rate on Elite PUGs - so those who complain they NEVER succeed should look to their own game play
Lieutenant
# 64
08-15-2012, 02:36 AM
Hmm...

There are several good points with this threads posts.
The one I see that is missing is that Elite STF's is not only demanding on actually knowing what to do. They also require fairly good gear.

Indeed, Cryptic can not force people to learn the strategy of the STF's and even if they could, there is this little detail that most of these STF's can actually be won with more then one strategies. Therefor, learning one strategy, would not guarantee success in a team using another.

What CAN be done however, is making the Que system recognise if you are adequately equipped at least.
The reason for doing Normal STF's is to get a feel for the Borg war and to get your Mk X set.
This MK X set is what I would like to see be the absolute minimum requirement for even que up to an Elite STF. It's not difficult at all to implement such a simple check. I've played MMO games that do have these kind of simple checkups implemented already. Some games use a "flag" system, wich is a bit like accolades, you gotta do one thing before you can continue to the next. This is of course a bad idea for people who are starting new characters and already know the drill.
But an equipment quality control would at least see to it that the rookie/noob has proper armor and firepower. If we then have to explain to him what to do and what to shoot at, well that's probably to be expected in any PuG because asa yet another post said earlier, the strategy for Normal STF's do not always apply for the Elites. You may know how to win Normals in your sleep and with one hand tied behind your back. That aint going to do squiddelypop for your first tray in an Elite since tehy must be played differently.

But if you at least have the minimum required gear when doing your first couple of Elite runs, your chances of performing OK (as long as you follow orders from the experienced players) will increase significanltly. Your risk at being hate-flamed for not having a clue you need to fix your characters or starships injuries and carry enough components for doing so, will also decrease - if the Que system didn't even let you in an STF Elite until you have said equipment.

Survivor of Romulus
# 65
08-15-2012, 02:38 AM
ALL weapons should auto remodulate

and there is no reason why they shouldn't

if TUVOK and WORF could rig a weapon to do this properly qualified officers decades later can do it in their sleep.

Actually its high time there were some PROJECTILE weapons available
Captain
# 66
08-15-2012, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
ALL weapons should auto remodulate

and there is no reason why they shouldn't

if TUVOK and WORF could rig a weapon to do this properly qualified officers decades later can do it in their sleep.

Actually its high time there were some PROJECTILE weapons available
the remodulation is in place for gameplay issues...to make the borg more difficult and or require certain gear to defeat.
thats the reason for remodulation in this game...to make it more difficult.
there is a automatic remodulation on the STF sets...so that is not a real problem either.

and the projectile weapons in first contact is actually my favourite misconception of all in star trek.

first the projectile fired on the holodeck is not a real projectile...it's photons held together by forcefields...so basically an energy weapon and the borg need to adapt to it anyway.

second: the very idea to have personal shields is to protect somebody from projectiles...be it in space or ground.
take for instance the navigational deflector on a ship in the star trek universe. It is a low power energy shield that protects the ship from space debree when traveling at high velocities.

Now the borg personal shield has the same function, if it can protect the borg from energy weapon fire it sure as hell can protect it from fast moving projectiles.

third: do borg need to fear projectiles? well no, they have metal (duranium) armor, no bullet can penetrate...and even if it penetrates how vital are "vital organs" to a cyborg?
even most part of the skull is made or covered with metal...

so, the scene in the movie was a ridiculous scene and so was the scene where data gets shot with the assault rifle, but it's still one of my favourite Star trek movies anyway. But to draw conclusion from it, without checking the established canon...or to activate ones brain and think for 5 sec if it's possible what i see, is kind of naive.
Those scenes were only there because they sounded real good in the script...and frankly they are great...but absolutely lack any consistancy with canon.

PS: even melee weapons shouldn't be able to harm a borg...if we stay strictly with TNG canon, because in one scene where the enterprise D encounters the borg the first time, a borg drone beams to engineering and analizes the consoles...when attacked with a phaser a forcefield blocks the beam...then worf (i think) trys to pull him away from the console but is repelled by the personal forcefield.
So did the borg get weaker shields in first contact...were they more advanced before first contact?
Go pro or go home
Career Officer
# 67
08-15-2012, 03:41 AM
I'm just going to say it. Because I'm sick to and beyond death of the on-stop crying elite whiners yelling in Elites.

Seriously, get over it.

Everyone has to learn how to do a elite, even you where noobs at one time. And my how we forget that.

When I do a elite or normal or even a Red Alert, and see someone not doing well, I side up to their ship and show them what to do.....nicely.

I don't insult, yell, put down or whine. I do something better. I help. =3
Survivor of Romulus
# 68
08-15-2012, 03:42 AM
Quote:
the remodulation is in place for gameplay issues...to make the borg more difficult and or require certain gear to defeat.
thats the reason for remodulation in this game...to make it more difficult.
there is a automatic remodulation on the STF sets...so that is not a real problem either.
nah its to make a LAME enemy even more lame
the Borg should be a LT comm level enemy at best

Quote:
and the projectile weapons in first contact is actually my favourite misconception of all in star trek

EH??
there aren't any misconceptions

Quote:
first the projectile fired on the holodeck is not a real projectile...it's photons held together by forcefields...so basically an energy weapon and the borg need to adapt to it anyway.
actually its a very strong presser beam
and the borg can't adapt to something they can't detect

Quote:
second: the very idea to have personal shields is to protect somebody from projectiles...be it in space or ground.
slightly wrong you are confusing startrek and DUNE

Quote:
take for instance the navigational deflector on a ship in the star trek universe. It is a low power energy shield that protects the ship from space debree when traveling at high velocities.
specifically DUST

Quote:
Now the borg personal shield has the same function, if it can protect the borg from energy weapon fire it sure as hell can protect it from fast moving projectiles.
no actually it can't
a borg shield is an "energy disipator" NOT a deflector

Quote:
third: do borg need to fear projectiles? well no, they have metal (duranium) armor, no bullet can penetrate...and even if it penetrates how vital are "vital organs" to a cyborg?
even most part of the skull is made or covered with metal...
no they don't
they are flesh , plastic , pvc and rubber
bullets , arrows even FISTS kill borg

Quote:
so, the scene in the movie was a ridiculous scene and so was the scene where data gets shot with the assault rifle, but it's still one of my favourite Star trek movies anyway. But to draw conclusion from it, without checking the established canon...or to activate ones brain and think for 5 sec if it's possible what i see, is kind of naive.
Those scenes were only there because they sounded real good in the script...and frankly they are great...but absolutely lack any consistancy with canon.
yes data should have disfunctioned at that point
infact he should have been ripped apart at that range
Data is PLASTIC in places

Quote:
PS: even melee weapons shouldn't be able to harm a borg...if we stay strictly with TNG canon, because in one scene where the enterprise D encounters the borg the first time, a borg drone beams to engineering and analizes the consoles...when attacked with a phaser a forcefield blocks the beam...then worf (i think) trys to pull him away from the console but is repelled by the personal forcefield.
borg DIE if hit but real objects
canon items for killing them include rifle butts , fists , feet , a fire suppression device , an axe , a wall , and in one case I believe a piece of ordinary GLASS

Quote:
So did the borg get weaker shields in first contact...were they more advanced before first contact?
A borgs disiparot shield is reliant on broadcast power from the collective (as number drops so does shield power) and is useless against ANY physical object
in hand to hand a borg dies easily

as its MINDLESS
Captain
# 69
08-15-2012, 03:58 AM
Quote:
slightly wrong you are confusing startrek and DUNE
cool that you bring that up...because the visual effect is exactly the same. i mean it was around the same time.
when i saw the episode the first time i didn't realise it...it was beginning of the 90's, but years later i saw it again, and i was like: "WTF, are the borg from house atredis? i mean picard certainly is! " and yeah there are certain similarities to the harkoonen actually, but never mind.
Go pro or go home
Survivor of Romulus
# 70
08-15-2012, 04:19 AM
Anyway a borg dies from a PUNCH on at least one occasion

they are sissy enemies who break easily
they have EXTREMELY limited metal parts (see remains after plasma surge in film)
they are mostly plastic , rubber and pvc

and are badly designed
if you want to remove the weak parts of humans and replace them with metal you lose the BREASTS and put in a solid metal chest plate