Lt. Commander
Alright so firstly, the char I'd like to spend some zen on (roughly 2500 worth) is a science captain who does alot of stfs and fleet events both ground and space. I'm trying to figure out what ship to spend my money on but keep getting stuck. As a result any suggestions would be appreciated.

Top of my list is the Intrepid Retrofit. seems almost a bargain at only 2000zen but is the armour console actually worth it? I keep hearing that its useless...

Are there any other Zen store ships that might suit a science captain in STFs?

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks!
Rihannsu
# 2
08-11-2012, 04:37 PM
The ablative console is not that worthless. Its basically the "everything is going wrong" button.

The Intrepid is the science beast, with a commander and LT. Commander BOFF slots you can do some interesting science combo attacks.

The other big sci vessel is the Nebula. Now that has the most useless console in the game.

The Nebula is the Starfleet science cruiser. It has a more Science/Engineering BOFF layout, it can tank decently and it has the universal slot making very flexible. Also it can do 'I win' STF maneuver- Grav Well III + Warp Plasma 1.

I own both the Nebula and the Intrepid on my science character and both are a blast to fly. The Intrepid is a more attack oriented ship, while the Nebula has the feel of a defensive support ship.

I can't speak about the D'Kyr since I don't own one.
My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Hmm, I forgot about the Nebula, will have to take a look. Though I think you are right, the intrepid is more attack oriented, which is what I'm going for.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-13-2012, 01:33 PM
I've never used the intrepid, but I've heard it's console can be pretty bad. Don't underestimate, just don't think it makes you invincible. I've heard of people tanking donatras thaleron blast on elite with the console active. However, in PvP, theres a window where the shields go down, but the console hasn't gone online yet, and thus torps can be extremely effective. Just be careful with it.

MY best bet would be with either the D'kyr, or the Science Oddyssey. The D'Kyr works as a Deep Space Science vessel, with a few cool features, and an awesome looking skin from what I can tell. The oddyssey on the other hand I do own, and have flown for a while. With the sensor analysis, you can do some serious damage to large ships and stationary installations, and with the built in toughness of the oddy, you can tank, and even support heal other players moderately well.

Don't forget the Atrox either. Not much damage, but tons of fun none-the-less. Just rememebr that more expensive =/= better.

There's fleet ships too...
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanerandomnes View Post
I've never used the intrepid, but I've heard it's console can be pretty bad. Don't underestimate, just don't think it makes you invincible. I've heard of people tanking donatras thaleron blast on elite with the console active. However, in PvP, theres a window where the shields go down, but the console hasn't gone online yet, and thus torps can be extremely effective. Just be careful with it.

MY best bet would be with either the D'kyr, or the Science Oddyssey. The D'Kyr works as a Deep Space Science vessel, with a few cool features, and an awesome looking skin from what I can tell. The oddyssey on the other hand I do own, and have flown for a while. With the sensor analysis, you can do some serious damage to large ships and stationary installations, and with the built in toughness of the oddy, you can tank, and even support heal other players moderately well.

Don't forget the Atrox either. Not much damage, but tons of fun none-the-less. Just rememebr that more expensive =/= better.

There's fleet ships too...

Uh, well...yes and no.

If you look at the D'Kyr's stats, it's relatively inferior to the Nebula. Plus, there's no fleet version of it, while there is for the Nebula. So, a plus for that. However, if the recent musing of the devs go live concerning PSWIII, that will be a huge blow to the current big dps build for the Nebula...if no offsetting changes are made, of course. The Intrepid is a great ship that can utterly wreak havoc in PvE, and isn't terrible in PvP (though it is a science ship, which relegates it, unfortunately, to support).

As for the Atrox, it *can* pull off good dps if out-fitted with proper fighters and whatnot. Buuuuut...the Recluse is better in every conceivable way. So if you really, really, REALLY want a carrier for your Fed, save up the ~60mil EC that they're going for on the exchange and buy one that way. 2500 Zen saved!

In regards to the consoles, most of the Fed's consoles are crap to begin with. The Armitage's isn't bad, and the cloaks have their use, but those are ship-specific. For the Fed-wide consoles, I'd say only the Oberth, Bellerophon, Venture, and Thunderchild are really worth it. Maybe the Rhode Island, but that's about it. Two of those are damage-dealers, two are debuffs, and two are buffs. But, the Oberth is only 500 Zen. So, buy a high-level sci ship and the Oberth, giving you a nice boost to your power levels.

Or buy a Recluse/Orb Weaver and forget about spending any Zen.
Commander
# 6
08-13-2012, 06:34 PM
mehen, The Recluse is not better in every way. I happen to like the Atrox over the recluse.
Atrox with dual heavy phaser cannons and 2 wings of prigne fighters = a lot of DPS. It all depends on what you want to do.

If you want DPS then go Atrox.
If you want support go Nebula.
If you want in between then go intrepid.

Kyle
Delta Fleet Command
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-13-2012, 09:40 PM
I'm not saying the Atrox can't deal damage, but the Recluse blows it out of the water as far as I'm concerned. A fleetie of mine flies both, and whenever I parse the damage he does in the Atrox, it's normally around 5-6k raw. In his Recluse, he topped out over 10k raw dps. I don't know what he's feeding that thing or what, but his Recluse eats enemies like gummy bears.

Given the flexibility of the Recluse over the Atrox, and its specialty torpedo/fighters, not to mention the fact that you can obtain it for ECs instead of 2500 Zen...I've really gotta say go with the Recluse if you don't care about looks.

But aye: Nebula is great for support, just like the Fleet DSSV, and the Intrepid can hit 8k+ raw dps with a good layout and team while still throwing out heals. If they ever get around to fixing (read: de-nerfing) science, it'll have a fun*and* powerful group of ships to fly.