Lieutenant
Just got my foundary Slot for Creation with 10K Dil today.

My problems with thus far is:

1. There not many variety of ships & damaged ships in it.

2. The map they use is same on they use for STO {Blurry on zoom in}. So if using a bridge & wish to place the NPC crew on there seats it nearly impossible. {This my main issue! I would like have NPC character sitting on ships bridge!}

3. There isn't a variety of StarFleet Uniform NPC. You should tell your story from any era!. Ie no Wrath of Khan uniforms or no TNG + No Enterprise Uniforms.

4. If there isn't a NPC you like you should able to create your own version? which should added to new menu Community Added NPC's.

Summary:
Only had a quick look. It looks amazing apart from the few issues I notice at the moment. Other than that I'm quite impressed. Amazing Tool. The Creator tool.

My suggestions would be:
1a. Map change the map or at least add a 2nd copy of the map with some kind of placer there so no need to spend hours just getting 1 of your npc sitting on the seat properly. As map won't position him/her right as it's too blurry.

1b. Failing that give the editor the ability to move the Character within testing game play. Ie if I walked to captain's chair or Tactical stations etc & character not sitting right I should be move him in position while I can see him. Please add further options. {Add Edited Room function options with play part}

2. Please add 2 New Map types:
a. Out side Airlock Area Map {No Oxgyen}

b. Same as Outdoor {But you can have Landed Shuttles, Birds of Prey & Voyager etc.

c. I would also like have place where you have wrecks of Ships actually crashed landed & parked on a planet or a gaint asteriod! Like saucer section of Galaxy Starship.

3. Finally more variety Uniforms for story telling.

Got a couple ideas just having worked yet how use Foundary yet only play around 1 a map or 2.

On Encourging note: It's looks cool Foundary once I learn the ropes it's will be excellent tool. It's looking cool & hope devs have major upgrades planned in future keep improving this tool.

{If anyone knows where I can find an Tutorial guide to basics of using Foundary to make a basic story please say!}

Last edited by roguestarship; 08-12-2012 at 03:10 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
08-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguestarship View Post
Just got my foundary Slot for Creation with 10K Dil today.

My problems with thus far is:

Every type of enemy that is in the game is in the Foundry with the exception of the Tholions including some generic ship types. Also any Fed/KDF ship can be customized in the same way it is in-game. As for damaged types, I assume you're referring to detail object versions of damaged ships. You can also create damaged ship NPC contacts with a damaged animation assigned to them. There is wiggle room here.

Quote:
2. The map they use is same on they use for STO {Blurry on zoom in}. So if using a bridge & wish to place the NPC crew on there seats it nearly impossible. {This my main issue! I would like have NPC character sitting on ships bridge!}
There's no put in chair easy button, but it certainly doable with a little trial and error. A mission I'm working on at the moment has an entire mess hall of people sitting in chairs.

Quote:
3. There isn't a variety of StarFleet Uniform NPC. You should tell your story from any era!. Ie no Wrath of Khan uniforms or no TNG + No Enterprise Uniforms.
If you go down to the Costume tab, you can create custom NPCs. You'll find just about all the options there that you find in the character creator in-game, including the WoK, Enterprise, and both the show and movie versions of the TNG uniforms.

Quote:
4. If there isn't a NPC you like you should able to create your own version? which should added to new menu Community Added NPC's.
You can, just go to the Costumes Tab. There is a limit to how many custom NPCs you can create, but I think that was upped with Season 6 and I'm not sure what the new limit is.

Quote:
Summary:
Only had a quick look. It looks amazing apart from the few issues I notice at the moment. Other than that I'm quite impressed. Amazing Tool. The Creator tool.

My suggestions would be:
1a. Map change the map or at least add a 2nd copy of the map with some kind of placer there so no need to spend hours just getting 1 of your npc sitting on the seat properly. As map won't position him/her right as it's too blurry.

1b. Failing that give the editor the ability to move the Character within testing game play. Ie if I walked to captain's chair or Tactical stations etc & character not sitting right I should be move him in position while I can see him. Please add further options. {Add Edited Room function options with play part}
It really only takes some time, patience and practice. It also helps going in with your character jumping up on the chair and typing "/em_sit_bridge" Once you figure out where the sweet spot is for a particular chair, go back into the editor and try and find the same sweet spot. It usually takes a little trial and error.

Quote:
2. Please add 2 New Map types:
a. Out side Airlock Area Map {No Oxgyen}

b. Same as Outdoor {But you can have Landed Shuttles, Birds of Prey & Voyager etc.
While we can't force the player to put on an EV suit, we do have a low gravity volume which cat add to the effect.

Quote:
c. I would also like have place where you have wrecks of Ships actually crashed landed & parked on a planet or a gaint asteriod! Like saucer section of Galaxy Starship.
You mean like this?

Quote:
3. Finally more variety Uniforms for story telling.
I again point you toward the costume tab.

Quote:
Got a couple ideas just having worked yet how use Foundary yet only play around 1 a map or 2.

On Encourging note: It's looks cool Foundary once I learn the ropes it's will be excellent tool. It's looking cool & hope devs have major upgrades planned in future keep improving this tool.

{If anyone knows where I can find an Tutorial guide to basics of using Foundary to make a basic story please say!}
I'm not going to lie to you and say that the Foundry is easy, but with time and patience I've seen foundry missions that rival Cryptic missions. If you want to see just how far the Foundry can go, I would recommend playing through some of Alimac30's Foundry missions.

@greendragoon
Lieutenant
# 3
08-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Why Thank you for the encouraging comments! Seems it play out a lot better than I was expecting. I have a look later.
Lieutenant
# 4
08-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
You mean like this?
Yes like that! That kind of thing I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
I'm not going to lie to you and say that the Foundry is easy, but with time and patience I've seen foundry missions that rival Cryptic missions. If you want to see just how far the Foundry can go, I would recommend playing through some of Alimac30's Foundry missions.
I know it's won't be easy but like you say with time & patience I get hang of it! I check out Alimac30's Foundry missions like you say. Thanks again.
Lieutenant
# 5
08-12-2012, 10:34 AM
A slight change to the previous suggestion. I think there should have a seperate play thing for playing with the non playables. You would walk/fly about with them an once you got them seated or whatever you then lock them into them or ship non playable position for the mission once you happy where located.

It would be same as play in the creator but only for 1 non playable character. But primary for placement your Non playables on the map like Captain on captain's chair etc! Useful for Making characters sit where there suppose too! Hope Dev takes this on board for future Updates on foundary creatior.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
08-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Edit: oops, whole big conversation all in the time it took me to write this. Well I hope my post still helps, lol!

Let me see if I can help with these.

First everyone should understand that the Foundry is and always will be limited. We won't ever be able to do everything we want.

That said some of what you're looking for is definitely possible.

Quote:
True, if you are only looking in the "Details" tab. If you look at the "NPC Contacts" tab, you will see a lot more variety. You can actually set some of these ships to appear "damaged," which in this case just means leaking plasma, by dragging one of the NPC contacts onto the map, then in the menu at the bottom of the screen click on "Advanced Behavior." Now, click the button next to "Idle Animation." This will give you a list of animation, look for FX - Leaking Ship, or FX - Damaged Ship. Then make sure to set the "Idle Duration" and "Idle Weight" sliders to max.

There is even more variety if you create a custom ship costume. To do this go to the left side of the screen, near the bottom you will see a button called "Costumes" click it, then click create costume. Now you can make costumes, both ships and ground characters, that have almost all the same options as we have when customizing ships and characters in the main game.

Which leads me to your third and fourth questions:

Quote:

Those uniforms are indeed options. You must make characters in the Costume tab, after which they will appear in the NPC Contact tab and you can place them on the map. If you want these people to move and fight, you must first pick an NPC Group from the NPC Group tab. Some are friendly and some are hostile, depending on whether or not you are Federation of Klingon. I recommend clicking the "Allegiances Button" to find out which are which. After you have placed an NPC Group, zoom in until you can see the individual dots of the enemies/friendlies in the group. Click on each one and then click the button that says "Default Costume" this will give you the big list of NPCs, in which you can find your custom costume.

Back to your second question:

Quote:
You are quite correct, many of the maps are awfully low-rez. However some folks have posted the coordinates for some of the bridge stations in this thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...ghlight=bridge

All you have to do is place the npc on the map somewhere and then enter the coordinates in the fields next to Position (m). Then set the idle animation to one of the sit animations, using the technique I described above. A bunch of new bridges were added to the last update. We need to get ourselves a sticky thread for this.

As for your suggestions, believe me we have asked Cryptic for many of them before. Whether they are being worked on or not, I couldn't tell you. There are a couple things though:

2c. There is a crashed ship on the Nopada Desert ground map. It isn't recognizable as much other than a giant pile of twisted metal, but that being the case, you can use it for just about any type of crashed ship.

This link: http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/noo...torials-guide/ will give you links to every tutorial ever made for the Foundry. Some are a little outdated now, but they will give you the gist.

Also feel free to come in the IRC chat at starbaseugc.com, there is almost always someone there who can answer any questions you might have.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for. Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
08-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Welcome to the Foundry. Feel free to ask questions if you run into trouble or can't figure out how to do something. Also hit up starbaseugc.com for a lot of good tutorials.

@greendragoon