Captain
# 1 Weapone Hardpoints
08-12-2012, 03:15 AM
I have noticed that there are alot of weapon hardpoints that aren't being used on the canon ships in STO.

Galaxy: when you load 4 phasers on the foward weapon slots, 4 beams fire out of the sauser's one dorsal array. That don't make sense and was not fired like that in the show. The sauser has a ventral array that should be used as well. The two phaser strips on the pylons are not being used as well. They do fire forward, aslo. When the sauser is separated the Drive section is firing phasers from an odd location and not from its hardpoints.

Nebula: This ship does not use its ventral phaser array when firing beam weapons. The topedos seem to fire straight from the hull and not from a laucher position. It was shown that torpedos can launch from the module above the sauser section on the TNG. In the game, the is not torpedo lauche location at all on this ship.

Galaxy Dreadnought: Same as the Galaxy, the sauser is not using ventral phaser array. The 3 phaser blisters on the warp engine nacelles are not being used. The should be put into action so 4 beams do apear to come out of one array.

I can go on and on about each canon ship. The Devs need to read Memory Alpha and Beta to get details of where the weapons should fire from on each ship.
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
08-12-2012, 03:32 AM
Valid point, but it's been the same for over 2 years, but don't worry it's due to be fixed after KDF is finished and they launch a full and complete Romulan Faction.

Best Estimate: Never.
I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001.
If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
Career Officer
# 3
08-12-2012, 07:38 AM
I don't like the way dual beam banks almost always fire from the edge of the saucer on the Galaxy, Sovereign, Odyssey, and other ships. Their beams should originate from the general location of the phaser strips like the beam arrays do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
08-12-2012, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurepastnow View Post
I don't like the way dual beam banks almost always fire from the edge of the saucer on the Galaxy, Sovereign, Odyssey, and other ships. Their beams should originate from the general location of the phaser strips like the beam arrays do.
I'm OK with the switch from Phaser Strips to hardpoints because, well, since STO can't do the "phaser strip" visual effect any more, hardpoints are the only option
Captain
# 5
08-12-2012, 05:56 PM
There supposed to be a mixture of phaser strips and hardpoints. All the modern canon ship have a mixture. If you can make this program, then you can make any visual effect you like. I bring this up because they made sure the Odyssey fires from its different hardpoints and strips. What about the rest of the ships? If a person employs dual beams and the ship does not have dual phaser banks or cannon implacements, then beams should fire arranged vertically from the dorsal and ventral strips instead of horizontally out of the sauser tips. The Nebula need to have a torpedo port on the upper module and fire from there and not out of the deflector dish. The Dreadnought needs to use it's very visible, phaser blister that are on the engine nacelles instead of firing all forward weapons out of the sauser.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
08-12-2012, 06:15 PM
It's a pretty wide assumption to make that any program can efficiently manage any visual effect. Since you nor I did not create the graphics engine (and do not have access to it or STO's assets), it's best not to presume what devs can and cannot do without their own word.

And, think a bit on what the "phaser strip" animation looks like, with two beams converging to shoot from any point on the strip. I would bet that that is tougher to do in an exacting way compared to making a beam originate from a designated point on the model.

I'll sympathize with your concern over torpedo ports and phaser hardpoints not being where they "should" be (keeping in mind that this is Star Trek's future and designs could have changed in the 40 years since TNG). But again, there could be technical or even creative reasons for not putting them there. You'll only make yourself angry if you ascribe any problem down to incompetence or laziness.
Empire Veteran
# 7
08-12-2012, 07:28 PM
the galaxy should be fireing all its beams fore and aft from the main saucer phaser arrays like the saucer pet does. only when separated should any of those punny secondary hull arrays be used. short of that, the 2 aft arrays on the back of the galaxy's neck should have half the hardpoints for dorcel fire, just like how half the ventral phasers fire from the pylons and half by the aft torp launcher.

i HATE how the dorcel aft phasers on the odyssey fire from the end of the warp nacelles, it looks retarded.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
the galaxy should be fireing all its beams fore and aft from the main saucer phaser arrays like the saucer pet does. only when separated should any of those punny secondary hull arrays be used. short of that, the 2 aft arrays on the back of the galaxy's neck should have half the hardpoints for dorcel fire, just like how half the ventral phasers fire from the pylons and half by the aft torp launcher.

i HATE how the dorcel aft phasers on the odyssey fire from the end of the warp nacelles, it looks retarded.

I was actually just about to mention how stupid the Oddy looks when using BFAW and it's shooting out of the nacelles, lol.
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
08-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashuk2381 View Post
I was actually just about to mention how stupid the Oddy looks when using BFAW and it's shooting out of the nacelles, lol.
Nacelle hardpoints are canon. The OP's in fact complaining that the Galaxy doesn't fire from the nacelles.

Personally I don't really like nacelle weapons either (unless they're on small ships and forward-facing like the Defiant). Why would you mount your guns on the bits of your ship that tend to EXPLODE when hit? What if the enemy targets those bits and BOOM, you "Ejected Warp Plasma" in a bad, bad way.

But that's the way things are, and it's a valid option.
Empire Veteran
# 10
08-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
Nacelle hardpoints are canon. The OP's in fact complaining that the Galaxy doesn't fire from the nacelles.

Personally I don't really like nacelle weapons either (unless they're on small ships and forward-facing like the Defiant). Why would you mount your guns on the bits of your ship that tend to EXPLODE when hit? What if the enemy targets those bits and BOOM, you "Ejected Warp Plasma" in a bad, bad way.

But that's the way things are, and it's a valid option.
its the exception, not the rule. it shows up no were else, and the galaxy X is more imaginary then hard canon. aside from that, it looks STUPID
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus