Starfleet Veteran
# 11
08-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
its the exception, not the rule. it shows up no were else, and the galaxy X is more imaginary then hard canon. aside from that, it looks STUPID
Why so hostile? You do know that I'm agreeing with you, right?

That said, why are you so angry about Galaxy hardpoints not conforming to canon when the Gal-X, a ship that exists in Star Trek (your limited definition of what is canon doesn't apply) has canon hardpoints? Should only some ships, the ones you like, be canon?
Empire Veteran
# 12
08-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
Why so hostile? You do know that I'm agreeing with you, right?

That said, why are you so angry about Galaxy hardpoints not conforming to canon when the Gal-X, a ship that exists in Star Trek (your limited definition of what is canon doesn't apply) has canon hardpoints? Should only some ships, the ones you like, be canon?
i think my avatar pic makes all my posts sound a lot more aggressive then they are. im not really interested in debating weather the galaxy X truly exits in the course the prime universe took, the future in AGT did not happen, and was a creation of Q's anyway. that doesn't mean an 'upgrade' to the galaxy class like that wouldn't ever happen in any other universe, but i could go into detail as to why none of the additions make any sense in the context of trek science. maybe later. the galaxy X is a large part of why the nice looking galaxy R sucks so much its basically unusable competitively. i have a whole lot of reasons for not liking it. but i wasn't trying to shout my last post or anything.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Captain
# 13
08-12-2012, 11:09 PM
It's just lazyness on Cryptic's part tbh. They do not care about already sold content/created content. I find dual beam banks hardpoints on Galaxy/Nebula saucer stupid. It LOOK STUPID and it is so since beta.

Funny is, Nebula utilitizes nice aft hard points, both on the sides of mission pod as well as on the nacelle pilon's phaser strips. I guess it's because it was implement later. It would probably take few hours to fix phaser strips on Galaxy.

But since the ship is on official Cryptic hatelists, all feedback regarding it is thoroughly ignored I doubt anything with it will be ever fixed.
Career Officer
# 14
08-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Hey now, just because the game is called Star Trek Online, it does not mean it has anything to do with Star Trek..
You know Cryptic has Jumped the Proverbial Shark when they introduced Tractor Pulling to Star Trek Online!
Captain
# 15
08-13-2012, 07:59 AM
Quote:
the galaxy should be fireing all its beams fore and aft from the main saucer phaser arrays like the saucer pet does. only when separated should any of those punny secondary hull arrays be used. short of that, the 2 aft arrays on the back of the galaxy's neck should have half the hardpoints for dorcel fire, just like how half the ventral phasers fire from the pylons and half by the aft torp launcher.

i HATE how the dorcel aft phasers on the odyssey fire from the end of the warp nacelles, it looks retarded.
Nagative, Nagative!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go back at look at "Best of Both Worlds" and you will see all the foward firing positions. If you don't have a copy of the episode, then got read about the Galaxy Class in Memery Alpha.
Captain
# 16
08-13-2012, 08:08 AM
Quote:
its the exception, not the rule. it shows up no were else, and the galaxy X is more imaginary then hard canon. aside from that, it looks STUPID
Oh, yeah? Well, soft canon this! The USS Venture was a Galaxy Class starship that lead Galaxy wings during the Dominion War and It has phaser blisters on top of its nacelles. Read all about it in Memory Alpha, or as I always say, watch Star Trek.
Captain
# 17
08-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Quote:
i think my avatar pic makes all my posts sound a lot more aggressive then they are. im not really interested in debating weather the galaxy X truly exits in the course the prime universe took, the future in AGT did not happen, and was a creation of Q's anyway. that doesn't mean an 'upgrade' to the galaxy class like that wouldn't ever happen in any other universe, but i could go into detail as to why none of the additions make any sense in the context of trek science. maybe later. the galaxy X is a large part of why the nice looking galaxy R sucks so much its basically unusable competitively. i have a whole lot of reasons for not liking it. but i wasn't trying to shout my last post or anything.
Yes, your face offends me. Just kidding. Just because the Enterprise-D itself didn't make that future possible doesn't mean that the Dreadnought ship disign wasn't in the future.
Captain
# 18
08-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Futures and Alternate Futures are mainly about the people and outcomes, not ship designs. Remember the episode with Warf traveling home from a tournament and ending up in another universe? When he try to return to his own universe it causeed a convergence of all the different universes. All the Enterprises looked the same and had same disigns. Just the people and outcomes were different.

The episode of Voyager("Endgame") Admiral Janeway comes from the future to change what happens in the past. She helped Voyager come home faster than when they were supposed to, thus rewriting history and turning the future into an altrenate one. All the ship designs still came to pass just the outcomes of people changed.

For a real life example, The US came up with the Atomic bomb in the 1940's, but if we would not of captured those scientist from Germany, the Nazis would of had the bomb. If Germany was prevented from making the bomb, and the US was not working on it, then Japan would of had the Atomic Bomb. Japan was also working on designing a nuclear bomb but they had prioritized working on the Radar gun instead. If enough time would of past where they found that the Radar Gun was ineffective, they would of came up with the Atomic Bomb. That said, the Atomic bomb would came into existence, regardless of which county thought of it first.

Last edited by alexindcobra; 08-13-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Career Officer
# 19
08-13-2012, 08:37 AM
I wish Al Rivera could schedule some development time to create Hardpoint strips on appropriate ships (nearly all Starfleet ships).

The firing beam could fire from any point along the hardpoint phaser strip, although it would fire from the point closest to the target. Each time it fired it would initiate a very quick pre-fire animation where the charge builds up from opposing ends of the strip, run along it, and then meet and fire. Just like we saw on TV. Check this video @ 23 seconds (for one example) of Galaxy firing animations (some are ingame) - but I really want that charging animation!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d734afLFPds#t=0m23s

STO's mainstay is space combat. I just don't get why the investment into hardpoint IP-accuracy... just stopped.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*

Last edited by nynik; 08-13-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Captain
# 20
08-13-2012, 08:48 AM
What I would love most, is that beam arrays stacked to one single beam, instead seeing 4 copies from same hardpoint. I wish there would be some beam arrays that take 1, 2, or even 4 forward slots to act as one beam.

The reason i dislike all beam cruisers is how stupidly it looks broadside.