Captain
Two part question.

1) I have a scene where the player gets to see a planet launch itself into a nuclear winter However, I am having the damnest time setting up that transition. Right now I have a "Reach the marker" objective where you get within radio range of the planet, You receive the last words of the Government on the planet and BOOM! Nuclear winter! However, I can't get any explosions or camera shake to work with it. Right now, it is just a Q snap and the planet is dead now. Any idea how I can trigger a series of explosions that at least LOOK like it is coming from the surface of the planet after a dialog point is reached?

2) In the same mission, a friendly vessel warps in and brings the Calvary in. you talk to it for a few seconds and then a Borg Cube drops in within 10 Km. And.. It just sits there. The NPC group engages the Borg just fine, but it seems silly that your friend says he is going to help and then just sits there? Is there a way to fix this?
Career Officer
# 2
08-12-2012, 03:38 PM
1) You have a reach marker, maybe have a bunch of explosion FX appear between the player and the planet?

2)Is your friend an NPC contact or an NPC group. If he is a contact he will not participate in battles.

2*) Just a nitpick I hope you don't mind me correcting your spelling but I used to make the same mistake too. It's cavalry not Calvary. Calvary is the is the believed site of Jesus' crucifixion.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
08-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Also make sure the reach marker is set close-ish to the planet. If the player is too far away, the explosions won't render. I ran into this in one of my missions, so I can tell you it needs to be around 5 of the small grid squares away or closer.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic

Last edited by drogyn1701; 08-12-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Captain
# 4
08-13-2012, 12:58 AM
Thanks guys. I am fixing both the NPC group and the explosions now. I didn't know about the Explosions not rendering far way from the planet. I was going for the cinematic multiple detentions seen from high orbit across the planet, type event. So, instead, I'll have explosions in your face. plus a static field and a small camera shake in this one area next to the planet. Then I will have everything else at a higher orbit (it is essentially a debriefing.) So the player wont accidentally cross closer to the planet.

And Yeah, I should have thought of that. The captian calls you in a pop up dialogue after you defeat a mob, so having his ship hanging out with the rest of the fleet would work. I know that the number of ships spawned and the number of dots on the map editor are different. If I name one of of the ships in that squad and give it a costume, is if guaranteed to spawn? I have the ship as an Akira class. It is not THAT important, but I think it fits the captain who comes and helps you. Also, it would be nice for him to say, "The USS Summit is here to help." and make sure that you can SEE the Summit helping you out.
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
08-13-2012, 05:51 AM
Generally speaking if you expand the NPC Group in the left-side menu by clicking the triangle next to it, the bottom-most contact will spawn first. Generally. If you want to make absolutely sure, name them all the same, of course then if someone runs the mission with a team, there'll be duplicates. Just another choice that has to be made.

I don't know if Cryptic has numbers on how many people run Foundry missions solo vs. in groups, but I would have to guess solo is more common.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic