Lieutenant
# 11
08-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicochavez View Post
Considering they're just announcing patrols for Foundry mission NPCs now, is it possible the older assets we dont have just wont WORK in the Foundry, and its not just a case of linking the HOGG files to it?
No, as I said this is a library of 3D models, animations, and their textures already installed on your hard drive. Nothing you see in the game comes directly from the server except the patches.

If a developer of the Foundry wanted to give us access to a teleporter pad as requested they could or would look the model ID number up in the server database. Add that number and possible description to the next Foundry patch. Adding numbers on a list is not hard at all.

As for license Atari gave it up, and as far as I know, CBS owns the rights to Star Trek, PWE owns Cryptic Studios, and Cryptic Studios has been given the rights to use Star Trek logos and such, as long as they don't step on any toes. The gaming industry attracts a lot of lawsuits because of the millions of dollars they generate in revenues. This has nothing to do with anything legal or otherwise.

My best guess is someone high up is throttling the Foundry so we can't possibly make better missions. This might sound paranoid, but Foundry missions don't generate revenue for the game makers. If players stop playing the game missions, they might not purchase items at the item malls. Who needs a bigger better ship if the missions don't require it?

On a personal note, I stopped playing when both my Fed and KDF hit 50. I seldom actually "play" the game. But as I said earlier, I love modding games and this is the only MMO online I know of that allows this activity.
Career Officer
# 12
08-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Ok uh I am behind you guys wanting more assets but I'm sure adding a map to a foundry is much more complicated than simply flipping a few numbers around...
Captain
# 13
08-13-2012, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameriker View Post

If a developer of the Foundry wanted to give us access to a teleporter pad as requested they could or would look the model ID number up in the server database. Add that number and possible description to the next Foundry patch. Adding numbers on a list is not hard at all.
If this is the case, then the whole thing is a truly sad, sad affair of just sending us foundry authors to our sub-forum corner, and ignoring us for an entire year.

I just don't have the words to express how sad that is. Hours and hours and hours of building my own transporter pad... and it still doesn't look that great.
Captain
# 14
08-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbane View Post
Ok uh I am behind you guys wanting more assets but I'm sure adding a map to a foundry is much more complicated than simply flipping a few numbers around...
A map, sure. An asset, I just don't know. There are benches labeled as buildings. How long, really, does something like that take to fix?
Lieutenant
# 15
08-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Proof is in the code, most people know you can dump your script inside the Foundry by typing in the chat "/ugcEditorExportProject C:\my_script.txt"

Here is an excerpt of the code for 2 firewalls, notice the highlighted BOLD ID Numbers?

Quote:
Component 232
{
VisibleName "FX - Fire Wall 01 #1"
Type OBJECT

Placement
{
MapName 392858570
RoomID -4370
Position 283.152679, 0, 239.616699
}
MapType PREFAB_INTERIOR
ObjectID -385268838

When OBJECTIVE_COMPLETE
{
ObjectiveID 10
}

HideWhen OBJECTIVE_COMPLETE
{
ObjectiveID 11
}

InteractTriggerGroup
{
InteractText Interact
}
}

Component 233
{
VisibleName "FX - Fire Wall 01 #2"
Type OBJECT

Placement
{
MapName 392858570
RoomID -4370
Position 319.238892, 0, 253.384583
Rotation 90.000000
}
MapType PREFAB_INTERIOR
ObjectID -385268838

When OBJECTIVE_COMPLETE
{
ObjectiveID 10
}

HideWhen OBJECTIVE_COMPLETE
{
ObjectiveID 11
}
}
This is what is needed to place any additional content to the Foundry. All they need to do is add the numbers to the access. This is what I have been ranting about for weeks. Why do people get paid for not doing their job well?
Career Officer
# 16
08-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Oh wow that's neat. No way to import huh?
Lieutenant
# 17
08-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Not as far as I know, a player was working on some 3rd party software to do that, and he got silenced.
Career Officer
# 18
08-14-2012, 01:59 AM
With Stahl really pushing the Foundry at the Trek Convention, it would be really nice if the Foundry Team can open up some dialogue. Be nice to see the kind of input they are listening to and what may be changed.

For instance, I personally would like to see all Uniforms, Costumes, and all Ships making their way into the Foundry. And more Neutral costumes being made so we can make Civilians or Alien cultures have different looks to them.

With the Editor, more improvements like bringing back the old Text Window size. Maybe somekind of interaction device to help with somekind of simplified problem solving, perhaps something like a keypad or access to minigames for scaning or "computer hacking" (like opening doors).

Another is adding A Chat Window (we can only see messages when we are in testing mode).

Ahhh be nice if they talk to us. Maybe bounce ideas and make things better.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!

New Crafting = It's not Crafting, is an overblown Reputation System.
Captain
# 19
08-14-2012, 05:00 AM
The foundry is this game's greatest asset and what could (potentially) make it viable in the long term--especially if PWE and/or Cryptic (don't much care anymore) are just going to spend their time and resources they way they have been. They don't have time for new content--fine, the system has a built-in ability for the players (perhaps the most anal-retentive folk on earth when it comes to their Trek) can do it for them and become deeply invested in its long-term survival.

Despite this, however, they just don't seem to give a rat's ass about the foundry.
Career Officer
# 20
08-14-2012, 10:11 AM
I think it's official that they're ignoring feedback because as far as I can remember members of the Foundry community have been asking for cooperative authoring tools (i.e. the most basic export&import) and we've yet to see the issue being officially acknowledged let alone worked on!

I guess Cryptic is waiting for the sh*t to hit that particular fan when NWO comes out and the first question from a would-be DM/Author would be: "How can I and my friends create a NWO module together?"

Or... who knows, perhaps Cryptic are geniuses and have already added a Subversion-like system to the NWO Foundry and we simply need to wait for it to percolate to their other games.