Republic Veteran
I recently saw First Contact on cable and over the couple weeks I thought about the movie.

As we know...it starts off with the Borg attacking Earth. Picard was informed but order to stay away because of his past. He disobeys orders and sets course to join the assault on the cube.

With his knowledge of the Borg he helps turn the side, but as the cube is blowing up a sphere is launched. The sphere creates a vortex for which they can go back in time. As they were in the vortex time changed around them, earth was assimilated.

The Enterprise E foiled the Borg plans and saved the future.

Thanks to Voyager and Enterprise we know there are Federation time ships that patrol all over time and space.

My first curiosity is why wouldn't the Federation time police be patrolling and stop the Borg there? I mean First Contact is probably one of the most if not most important things to happen in Earths history. Wouldn't the time police be making sure someone doesn't alter it? Or if nothing else clean up the Borg in arctic?

My other curiosity is if the Borg have time travel...why haven't they used it in the past? There are so many things they could of done with it beyond a simple last ditch effort to assimilate Earth.

We can maybe assume perhaps the Federation time patrol prevents such things from happening, so why didn't they protect one of the biggest events in Earth's history?

Last thing, if the Borg don't try time travel to change things in their favor why don't they?

Even if they didn't use it to change the Alpha Quadrant they could use it in The Delta Quadrant. They could share tactics, locations, and tech with their past.
Captain
# 2
08-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Unnofficial Law of Trekdom #435: "Anything, be it arguments or plot holes, that could be solved or need to be solved by Temporal Investigations is to be ignored for the sake of the sanity of all parties involved."

But to answer your question seriously, when the Borg caused the "Assimilated Earth" that we see while the Enterprise travels to the past, they unmade the Federation, as well as Temporal Investigations. The Enterprise was the only thing protected by the "Time Travel Wave" that Data mentions, Temporal Investigations wasn't. Thusly the Enterprise was the only thing that could save the future. I'm fairly certain they learned about it, but decided to stay out of it once they did, out of fear of screwing it up, and the fact that Picard succeed anyway.

'Tis my theory anyway.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
08-12-2012, 08:43 PM
If I learned anything from 'Back to the Future', it is that everything has already happened. At the start of the movie it looks like they are changing time, and at the end of the movie everything happened the way it should.

So there is no reason to police this event, because everything has already happened.

If the Borg wanted to change time, they should travel back into the future in the Delta Quadrant, and then travel to Earth .... 5 minute movie
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Empire Veteran
# 4
08-12-2012, 08:47 PM
About the 'time police' not stopping the Borg when the Enterprise went back in time, is because it already HAD happened, and thus to stop it, would in fact be a change in the timeline.

Rihannsu
# 5
08-13-2012, 08:06 AM
It is one of the predestination paradoxes where everything that happens is always meant to happen and history is just fulfilling itself.

but dont analyse it too much. Time travel has plot holes galore and almost any time travel story can be picked apart if you really look at it. the borg themselves were made far too poweful in voyager in terms of numbers with thousands of ships yet they only ever send 1 single cube every time. a dozen would probably be strong enough to crush the entire alpha quadrant but they dont do it. at least in tng you could believe they only had a handful roaming the galaxy.

whats even stranger is they bypass everything else (including the romulans) to head straight to earth yet they have a transwarp conduit that opens up right on earths doorstep for a sneak attack.

borg tactics are pretty terrible.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 6
08-13-2012, 08:12 AM
I've usually found it easier to just regard the 'current' actions of the crew to be what mattered, as if they existed in a temporal bubble of choice all the time. Their actions in the moment decided the future, and until they decided on something, everything in the future was uncertain, or consigned to exist only in parallel timelines. I sleep soundly at night.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*

Last edited by nynik; 08-14-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
08-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Gary Seven would not allow it
Career Officer
# 8
08-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr View Post
If I learned anything from 'Back to the Future', it is that everything has already happened. At the start of the movie it looks like they are changing time, and at the end of the movie everything happened the way it should.

So there is no reason to police this event, because everything has already happened.

If the Borg wanted to change time, they should travel back into the future in the Delta Quadrant, and then travel to Earth .... 5 minute movie
It didn't really work like that in BTTF. There were two distinct timelines. We clearly saw the one where Marty McFly's dad was a failure and his mum had a drink problem. That happened - Marty's time travelling, basically, created a new timeline.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Career Officer
# 9
08-13-2012, 08:53 AM
They don't get involved because they don't have to. The crew were able to restore the timeline with no issues, so no reason to get involved. Now, if it became apparent they would screw something up that would be a different story and Temporal Investigations would get involved. Just watch the debriefing from "Trials and Tribble-ations." to see what I mean, or the countless Enterprise episodes where Daniels explains what he is doing.

Now, the real question that will cause your brain to explode is why Temporal Investigations did nothing in ST2009.
Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-13-2012, 05:11 PM
How do we know the temporal investigations guys didn't step in and fix the screw ups of the Ent E crew? Maybe they were always there, in the background making things work out.