Captain
# 11
08-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Well the Millenium Falcon showed up in the background of First Contact. Maybe if someone frame-by-frames the whole movie, there's a little blue Police Box stashed somewhere too.
Starfleet Veteran
# 12
08-13-2012, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
It didn't really work like that in BTTF. There were two distinct timelines. We clearly saw the one where Marty McFly's dad was a failure and his mum had a drink problem. That happened - Marty's time travelling, basically, created a new timeline.
But at the end of the movie everything was back to normal, so it's ok
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Career Officer
# 13
08-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Well, as to why the Temporal Integrity Commitee (or whatever it's named by the 31st, 40th or 72nd century) didn't intervene, there's a number of possibilities.

One is that the timeguys got wiped out when the future changed. I don't buy that. No offense, but what good is a temporal observatory if it blinks out of existence in exactly the scenario it was supposed to identify. The Enterprise was shielded from the effects of the changes to the timeline by the temporal wake, there's really no reason future timeships or at least the TIC's headquarters wouldn't be protected from such changes also. (We do know from Year of Hell 24th century shields can be reconfigured to do a passable job. That said we know from En... En... that other show by the 31st century timecop central was wiped out by changes to a timeline made by one of their own agents. Who himself did not disappear. So, meh.)

My preferred theory is that the future didn't intervene, cause the future already knew the Enterprise had it covered. Either because their temporal observatories told them so, or simply because at some point prior to the Federation learning of the Borg, they'd already found debris of the ship in the system (or Antarctica). When the Federation did learn of the Borg, they might've made a link. Someone at the Department of Temporal Investigations made a note of it. And when the alarm bells went off and the Borg went back, the timecops ordered donuts cause this one was already on file as taken care of.

And then there's the possibility that with the Enterprise going back right along with the Borg cube, and being there from the get-go, it reduced the scope of the changes to the timeline to the point where it just didn't make a big enough blip on the charts to be worth their time. Not when somehow poor old Porthos VIII got beamed to feudal Vulcan, resulting in a new timeline where Vulcans and Romulans put their differences aside before they even began, so they could march under their new god's floppy banners to conquer the entire galaxy in order to process the subjugated populations into kibble for its crossbed and ravenous Beagle-Sehlat descendants, and Surak is remembered only for his deathmetal band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobayashImaru
Now, the real question that will cause your brain to explode is why Temporal Investigations did nothing in ST2009.
Maybe they know something we don't know, about what kind of changes or phenomena alter a timeline, and what kind of changes create new ones. Or maybe Trek has always been horribly inconsistent in its time travel theory.

Me, I think each time travel event creating an alternate timeline is the likeliest, should time travel even be possible, as its paradox free. (It also, I'm afraid, makes going back and killing Hitler rather pointless. The original timeline will continue to exist, even if you progress into a new one.) But frankly, I don't find the idea of an alternate timeline being created to be very comforting, from a denizen of the universe point of view. Sure, it saves you from blinking out of existence in favor of the greater Pterodactyl empire, but who says one timeline creating one spinoff is where it stops? Beyond just the mirror universe, we saw hundreds of alternate timelines existing in The Next Generation. Each one with their own grief-addled mad scientists waiting for a chance to go back and set things right. Which is a bad thing, trust me, cause while mathematics may be perfectly happy with the concept, physicists know there is no such thing as infinite anything. Why we should assume time is any different, is beyond me. And if it's possible to travel back in time, then the state of the past is recorded on time somehow, or else there'd be nowhere to go to, and that means we can't just recycle yesterday. (And there's no Langoliers.) So even if there's an enormeous redundancy of future time, with every doubling of the number of timelines, the amount of future for each timeline halves. The entire universe could crash tomorrow cause some basement-dwelling savant went back fifteen times to try different ways of asking Polly to the dance, each time creating an alternate timeline where again he goes back fifteen times to try out the same fifteen lines, over and over and over again until the universe fills up with trillions upon trillions of useless near identical timelines and no room left for the day after tomorrow.

I say we send a fleet back there and figure out how to trash the whole thing. They're takin' our time!

But anyway, inconsistent, convenience-driven writing. Nothing mindblowing there.
Reave

Last edited by hrisvalar; 08-13-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Captain
# 14
08-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashlmaru View Post
Now, the real question that will cause your brain to explode is why Temporal Investigations did nothing in ST2009.
Eeeeh.....

Aaaaah...

Uuuh.....

Hmmmmm.....

Uuuuugh......

<'Splodes>
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Rihannsu
# 15
08-14-2012, 07:50 AM
well.... they're not immune to changes in the time stream. The point of the observatory is to detect temporal incursions before they can affect the time stream. The Narada going back in time does seem like the sort of thing they'd do something about, if they noticed it. that sort of uncontrolled time travel couldn't be safe....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 16
08-14-2012, 08:41 AM
The "Temporal Integrity Commission" is what you guys are thinking of from the 29th Century. They had multiple temporal ships like the USS Relativity, not just an observatory.

The reason they did nothing about the Narada is...JJ Abrams is an idiot, doesn't care about the Trek continuity, and doesn't know jack about what had been created before (Hence the abortion of a "Star Trek" film in the first place). Therefore, he screwed the pooch and we get the JJ Abramsverse.

[Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
Community Moderator
# 17
08-14-2012, 08:53 AM
If you're interested in Star Trek time travel, I highly recommend Christopher L. Bennett's "Department of Temporal Investigations" series: "Watching the Clock", and "Forgotten History".

These two books do an amazing job of grabbing the loose ends of a multitude of Star Trek time travel and alternate timeline stories and weaving them together.

Your head will probably spin from the temporal mechanics, but there's a lot of action and they're pretty fast-paced, very enjoyable reads. If he writes another one, I am so getting that one too.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Starfleet Veteran
# 18
08-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashlmaru View Post
Because those events created an alternate universe, thus outside of the TDI's jurisdiction. As for why a alternate future TDI didn't step in... maybe it was a fixed point in the JJVerse. Some things just can't be altered.
Vice Admiral Corris Sprint (@sprint01)
Commanding Officer - 26th Fleet [RP]
Star Trek: Praetorian Official Website
Commander
# 19
08-14-2012, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpedcore View Post
Because those events created an alternate universe, thus outside of the TDI's jurisdiction. As for why a alternate future TDI didn't step in... maybe it was a fixed point in the JJVerse. Some things just can't be altered.
I'll stick with my "JJ Abrams is an idiot" theory, it works out so much better.

[Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
Community Moderator
# 20
08-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiouvegeta2 View Post
I'll stick with my "JJ Abrams is an idiot" theory, it works out so much better.
Get used to it... the 2nd JJ movie is coming.

I'm not sure the Prime universe will ever truly exist again outside of books and games like this one.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek