Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Ensign
# 1 windows 8 - does not start
08-12-2012, 09:52 PM
i'm running windows 8 and at the moment AMD are refusing to release drivers for my 4870. i have installed the win7 ccc and its "installed" (all the apps etc) but i'm still stuck with the "Engineering Sample - WDDM v1.1" driver. Am I just kidding myself trying to get this to load or am I doing something wrong. I thought I saw somewhere punkbuster needed to be installed but going through the page I can't find a reference to it anywhere on the download page. I installed sto from the torrent, updated directx etc etc. double click the exe and I immediately get an error force close message.
Ensign
# 2
08-12-2012, 10:01 PM
actually its after i click login that it says "oops your cryptic application has crashed"
Captain
# 3
08-13-2012, 12:52 PM
You're actually using a even numbered Windows operating system? You know those never turn out well. Vista (windows 6, the most recent even numbered windows) was a memory hog, just for one example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-13-2012, 04:59 PM
He's made 3 mistakes:

1. Using an even-numbered Windows release.

2. Using a Windows release before it's been on the market for at least 6 months, and preferably a year, so that other people get to be guinea pigs. It's usually best to wait until M$ releases the first SP before using a Windows version.

3. Using a Windows release while it's still a preview or beta.

Good luck getting support for Windows 8 from Cryptic or AMD prior to Windows 8 being officially on store shelves.
Ensign
# 5
08-15-2012, 09:26 AM
thank you captains obvious. apart from being completely wrong because vista SP1 and Win7 no service pack were both good OS's, does anybody have anything constructive to say?
Career Officer
# 6
08-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Now you do understand that Windows 8 has not been 'Officially' launched, and that only Beta 'Preview' versions have been released...

Being on the Bleeding Edge of things, can sometimes be painful...
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
08-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Never use ANY version of Windows until its at least TWO YEARS obsolete

EVER
#
Ensign
# 8
08-16-2012, 01:44 AM
so noobs, i got 12-6 ccc installed and working perfectly. played sto for hours this morning, no artifacting. took a lot of driver hacking but its done now. peace.
Captain
# 9
08-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awolfe59 View Post
He's made 3 mistakes:

1. Using an even-numbered Windows release.

2. Using a Windows release before it's been on the market for at least 6 months, and preferably a year, so that other people get to be guinea pigs. It's usually best to wait until M$ releases the first SP before using a Windows version.

3. Using a Windows release while it's still a preview or beta.

Good luck getting support for Windows 8 from Cryptic or AMD prior to Windows 8 being officially on store shelves.
All of those reasons get squashed if you dual boot

With the Windows 8 Pro for 40 bucks offer launch through Jan 31, 2013, it will not be replacing Windows 7 on my machine but probably the XP I no longer boot to anymore. Then I'll still have 7 available for all your counter-points. lol

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
Career Officer
# 10
08-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Never use ANY version of Windows until its at least TWO YEARS obsolete

EVER
#
I can confidently say that I won't be using Windows 8 even when it's TEN years obsolete. I used the previews of it. It's that bad.