Empire Veteran
# 1 Sub or buying Zen?
08-12-2012, 10:44 AM
What would be considered the wisest choice?

I know that a subcription gives you nice things at certain points (after being subscribed for a number of days) but i am trying to figure out if it is still worth it to shell out real money for this game...

Any help/insight on the matter will be much appreciated!
Captain
# 2
08-12-2012, 10:49 AM
I would tell anyone to Sub for 1 month just to get some of the Gold perks: extra bank slots, etc.

After that I would tell people to go back to Silver and play for Dilithium and buy Zen.
Captain
# 3
08-12-2012, 11:17 AM
If you are a casual player playing a few hours a week and a character or 3, just pay as you go as a Silver player. If you are playing a lot and have lots of character a subscription may be worth in in all of the free services that Golds receive (extra inventory and bank slots, free acount bank, free costume changes, free skills respec for each earned rank which all cost zen for silvers), then a subscription or lifetime account may be the way to go.
Empire Veteran
# 4
08-13-2012, 02:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
I would tell anyone to Sub for 1 month just to get some of the Gold perks: extra bank slots, etc.

After that I would tell people to go back to Silver and play for Dilithium and buy Zen.
I do have the CE and the Digital Deluxe as well, not sure if they both will give me two months but i think i will go with that thanks!
Captain
# 5
08-13-2012, 02:37 AM
Good, looks like you're all set then You can use the bonus time from the box sets to give you a 'taste' for the game, and decide for yourself if STO is a worthwhile investment of time and maybe a small bit of cash in the long run.

For me I went with the 'sub one month for extra slots and 5 respecs per toon' and cancelled my subscription when said month was up. Subscribing is simply not worth it right now as there are not enough perks for established characters.

The only cash purchases I made besides the subscription were for the 1 billion EC cap, 21st century dress set and my first c-store ship for TNG roleplay was the Galaxy retrofit.

With 4 toons at VA and well established in Elite STF and earning well in excess of 8k Dilithium a day, I no longer have to use real money for z-store purchases.

Dilithium is more valuable now due to the Starbase construction requiring lots of it. I sort of note that many players are buying zen to exchange for dil which has driven the dil - zen exchange rate to literally rock bottom prices.

In short, save the cash for RL and use dilithium savings for in-game purchases.

I am now saving up for my second z-store ship, which can be either the Nebula for more TNG roleplay, or the Armitage for a competitive T5+ Fed warship.
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
Empire Veteran
# 6
08-13-2012, 02:43 AM
Great more good advice that saves me some real cash thanks!

I will stick with the two editions i have and go from there, still a long way for me to reach higher levels since i like to take things a bit slower and go from there!