Banned
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 558
# 31
08-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbond2012 View Post
If I may say, a lot of people have protested that antiproton weapons work best against the Borg hulls. Which is why a good number or PVP players have that blood red beam. And I know for a fact that heavy dual cannons are the most powerful type of weapons. So, if your ship is capable, I would equip it with some antiproton weaponry, dual cannons if possible.

As for the consoles, you'll need some antiproton mag regulators to boost the DPS of the antiproton weapons. It may also be a good idea to pick up some RCS accelerators to increase your turn rate and shield booster console. For torpedo, my favorite is the tricobalt torp with a high yield skill buff to pimp out the progectile. If you train one of your tac officers in a high yield skill and fire a tricobalt torpedo, then you could easily deal a massive amout of damage. It's quite aggitating to players who lose a portion of their shields and have their hull unprotected. makes them go out like a star.
Ap is actually the secondworst to worst weapon type to use right now in pvp. The loss of ACC mods, cripples your damage output, barring the most extreme circumstances where your targets have 35 percent Defense Score or less. People use AP (that are serious pvpers) because it's a vanity color.

Tricobalt is also, the bottom of the barrel right now for torpedoes due to a number of factors not the least among them is the minute long cool down. Second factor is just how easily shot down they are, and the third and final damning factor is that, in order to use them effectively you must get ontop of your opponent. But when you do this, you can Vape Yourself and leave the target alive and well.
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 558
# 32
08-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post
Thanks for the tips everyone...especially about the 4 team abilities and their shared cooldown...definitely going to change some stuff around there.

However, I don't think I'm going to be changing to all energy weapons any time soon because I'm using Tetryon based weapons so 1 more DHC is not as beneficial as if I were using anti-proton or disruptors. I'm not sure how many of you have tried Quantums with high yield 3 + double Honor Gaurd torpedo bonus, but it really is quite damaging. I could pew-pew their hull all day with my tetryons or send 1 high yield volley at them and take their hull down 50-100%.

I am curious about the Zero Point console vs. another Tetryon console. On the one hand, I'm firing my Tetryons constantly so it would obviously help to have more damage there, and on the other hand, the spike damage of the torpedoes on bare hull is amazing, and any increase to that I feel can not be underestimated. Also, I've heard there are diminishing returns when using multiple consoles of the same type, so how much would a 5th Tetryon console actually increase damage compared to how much a single Zero Point Console would increase it?
I use everything under the sun. You need at least Three Dual Heavy cannons against Real opponents, as a tac in an escort. Also you need at least four energy consoles if you want to step up against Good Opponents, and not just the typical Fail Fed.

The Tetryon proc even with it's recent buff is still a complete joke.

Phased Tetryons are hawt on the other hand due to the phaser proc that they come with.

Much as I love my Blue Guns, I'm under no illusion about their proc's power, and there's a reason why my main Thunder, switched to Phased Tets.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 423
# 33
08-15-2012, 01:09 PM
My advice might be a bit more realistic.

First, never expect a fair and balanced fight in a PUG match.

You should often expect to at least once out of three matches to come across someone using known broken or ?not working correctly? abilities or combinations of abilities.

You will be required to wait, not always, but often to get into a PVP match

Kerrat is not for the faint of heart. Expect to be brutalized or to brutalize others.

And well, enjoy this mess of a game.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 668
# 34
08-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavairo View Post
I use everything under the sun. You need at least Three Dual Heavy cannons against Real opponents, as a tac in an escort. Also you need at least four energy consoles if you want to step up against Good Opponents, and not just the typical Fail Fed.
To be fair mav... the one exception to the 3 dhc or better rule... is sort of what he was planning to do with the KHG bonus. For the amount of extra dmg you get from the KGH. (its equal to 3 torp dmg units) its like his bug would have a 8 tac console setup.

The thing is if you are going to bother with torps AT ALL imo you HAVE to commit to them. No silly one launcher in front eating your dps... go all in and run 2 so you can keep the torp rapid fire going... I did this with a goomba for a good while and honestly my dmg was much higher, and more important my KILLS where much higher then they where in a full cannon setup....
On my feds 2 torps works on most ships but I did hate it on my bug... it felt much weaker then just going cannons... that KHG set is the torpedo holy grail... if I ever get a second bug for my klink or the KHG set ever gets some cross faction love I will be running 2 DHC on that ship.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 668
# 35
08-15-2012, 01:35 PM
One other piece of advice...

Cryptic screwed up all the poster data... but the info is still all there.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=255864

The builds mat not directly cross to your bug, I don't remember to many people posting good bug builds... but go read some of the ideas about escort piloting in that thread.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,319
# 36
08-15-2012, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by husanakx View Post
DO NOT do this... don't worry about the lose of 2 dhc... trust me KHG + the 2 torps will be fine. If you try to spin around to fire torps you will loose more dps then you gain by keeping a DHC... with 2-3 doffs and 2 launchers you will honestly fire 1 per second... don't be screwing around trying to arc your ass end.
Why would one try to spin around when the forward firepower is as enormous as it will be in the proposed setup? I'd rather propose to use torp spread and an aft launcher as a means to point defense and such - for a quick reaction to something (like carrier pets or aceton assimilators, for example) that bothers from behind, so you don't have to turn around. The single torpedo launcher will not be his main DPS source anyway, whatever he does... so its function is clearly not that.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,319
# 37
08-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thissler View Post
Sophie, I bet half of the people on these forums want to put a torpedo in your aft weapon slot. And the other half want to sell tickets.
Thissi, shut up when adults talk.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,593
# 38
08-15-2012, 01:48 PM
one piece of advice and one only (you may want to write this down)

ANY Advice you get on this forum should be considered Suspect
Always Compare sources and never go with any one persons advice (especially not MINE )
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 960
# 39
08-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbond2012 View Post
If I may say, a lot of people have protested that antiproton weapons work best against the Borg hulls. Which is why a good number or PVP players have that blood red beam. And I know for a fact that heavy dual cannons are the most powerful type of weapons. So, if your ship is capable, I would equip it with some antiproton weaponry, dual cannons if possible.

As for the consoles, you'll need some antiproton mag regulators to boost the DPS of the antiproton weapons. It may also be a good idea to pick up some RCS accelerators to increase your turn rate and shield booster console. For torpedo, my favorite is the tricobalt torp with a high yield skill buff to pimp out the progectile. If you train one of your tac officers in a high yield skill and fire a tricobalt torpedo, then you could easily deal a massive amout of damage. It's quite aggitating to players who lose a portion of their shields and have their hull unprotected. makes them go out like a star.
No offense, but do you actually PvP? None of this really makes sense to me. Can you even get purple XII anti-proton weapons that don't have the Borg proc., which is a complete waste in PvP? And the anti-proton mag regulators are like 50 mil. EC a pop. It seems like a lot of EC to spend on something that won't give you the most bang for your buck because of the Borg proc.

RCS also seems like a waste of a Eng. console slot that could be better used for a defensive console. Honestly, the Bug already turns faster than pretty much every other ship in the game and so far I have not had a problem lining up enemies except maybe a Defiant with Evasive maneuvers activated.

Tricobalt doesn't make much sense to me either. The slow flight speed of it means they could have their shields back up by the time it reaches them, or they could just shoot it down if I recall correctly. Then it has, what, like a 60 second cooldown or something crazy so there could be many opportunities where someone's shields are down but my Tricobalt is on cooldown. And finally, I like to get close to my enemies (3km or closer) for the increased energy damage as well as getting my torpedo to connect before they can use a shield buff. This could be a problem considering the splash damage would hit me as well.
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 558
# 40
08-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by husanakx View Post
To be fair mav... the one exception to the 3 dhc or better rule... is sort of what he was planning to do with the KHG bonus. For the amount of extra dmg you get from the KGH. (its equal to 3 torp dmg units) its like his bug would have a 8 tac console setup.

The thing is if you are going to bother with torps AT ALL imo you HAVE to commit to them. No silly one launcher in front eating your dps... go all in and run 2 so you can keep the torp rapid fire going... I did this with a goomba for a good while and honestly my dmg was much higher, and more important my KILLS where much higher then they where in a full cannon setup....
On my feds 2 torps works on most ships but I did hate it on my bug... it felt much weaker then just going cannons... that KHG set is the torpedo holy grail... if I ever get a second bug for my klink or the KHG set ever gets some cross faction love I will be running 2 DHC on that ship.
I would still rather have a third energy weapon than a second torp 9/10 times.

the KHG set just makes that punch in the face that much harder.

And hey if you get a couple purple torp doffs, every so often you get a free hit in anyway.

2 torps, is viableish. But I'm abit of a traditionalist, even with the new found prowess of KHG.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:54 PM.