Former PWE Community Team Lead
Quote:
Fan Art Challenge #1 : Captains
This is the comments thread for Fan Art Challenge #1 : Captains.
We also have an Index of previous challenges HERE.

Feel free to link directly to the entry you are commenting on. And please remember: we're not here to tear each other up. Do not troll your fellow Captains, give feedback! Let the others know what you liked and disliked. Maybe they can take this feedback into consideration for the next challenge!

Let's get those creative juices flowing!
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 09-11-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 2
08-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Whoops! Just realized that this thread was accidently closed. Discussion may now commence!

Great entries so far!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Commander
# 3
08-15-2012, 08:25 PM
This is a great idea for a challenge, other than the fact it allows people to trully use their imagination and creativity but will obviously lead to great inspirations for Foundry missions; just in the same way the picture of the Lost NX-02 in Ships of the Line inspired the Borg origin story in the novels.
ATTENTION: UNDINE SPACE & TKON GROUND SETS ALL THE WAY DEVS!.. Q-TRIBBLE, MAYBE!?.. EJECT WARP CORE ABILITY LIKE LAYING A SUPER-MINE, HELL YES!!!.. SPACE HIPPIES FROM TOS PLAYING MUSIC IN OUR FLEET STARBASE, NO, JUST, NO... CAIT & RA'KHOLN ADVENTURE ZONE, YES

Starfleet Veteran
# 4
08-16-2012, 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Also, feel free to post feedback about the rules/ challenge in the discussion thread linked below, as well as themes that you would like to see in the future.
I was excited to be able to show off my characters and the detail I put into them, sadly I am not what you would call a good artist. I wish we could have used Screenshots of our characters (maybe in another thread sometime) to show the work and detail some of us (who aren't talented artists like some others on here) put into our characters.

Quote:
Also, feel free to post feedback about the rules/ challenge in the discussion thread linked below, as well as themes that you would like to see in the future.
Shuttles would be nice (I know Fed has a TON and not many missions, but virtually no shuttles on the KDF side)

Ships would be a nice one too (Same as above with Fed having far more)

Weapon design (maybe one for ranged and one for melee or have them together I dunno)

** Not sure if art designers would be able to use these for future items in game, but it would be neat for the above 3 if they were. (I know there was something for Fan Submissions for the Enterprise-F, so I assume it isn't completely a no)

Last edited by switchngc; 08-18-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
08-17-2012, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Maybe they can take this feedback into consideration for the next challenge!
I may suggest a little more publicity too... The only reason I found this was the Dev Tracker
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Attach this to a bulletin in-game. It will definitely get attention that way.

Either that or just add a link to it in the launcher. This way it will garner enough attention.
Captain
# 7
08-17-2012, 03:42 PM
GAAAHH!! why did i have to be such a terrible artist?!?!?!? I love doing the written challenges, and i would really like to do the art ones as well. I still might try though because this sound fun.
Commander
# 8
08-20-2012, 09:20 PM
If you want participation, make these things contests with a prize or prizes, and publicize them as widely as is possible. People respond to incentives, like glory and gain. With no incentives, you'll only have people posting things that they were thinking about doing, anyway, which hugely limits your response.

The degree of response is proportional to the level of the incentive. Consider: a character sketch by a moderately skilled artist is worth somewhere from ten to thirty dollars, depending on the artist's skill, fame, and the level of specificity, color, and quality requested. If you want moderately skilled artists to be interested beyond things they were thinking about doing anyway, price the prize appropriately.

The amount of response is proportional to the amount of publicity. Publicize the contests on the loader, the dev tracker, the steam group, etc.

Contests can also be effective forms of advertising. Publicize your contests on DeviantArt, the Champions Online forum, the Star Trek website... anywhere you can find a congregation of trekkies, gamers, or artists. Working with your community should not just be an attempt to retain customers. It should be a means the company uses to get new customers.
Captain
# 9
08-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Yeah, I'd like some kind of shiny to go with it, but I'll do it anyway for funzies. These things could generate great publicity if there was some kind of incentive. Plus the reward wouldn't have to be much. 2000 Zen for the winner, 1500 Zen for second, and 500 for third wouldn't be much to give out, and it would give a lot of people a reason to participate, make em happy, and get some advertisement as well, all for the cost of 4000 Zen.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 10
09-07-2012, 11:09 PM
I'm really sad that more people aren't getting into these. I was really hoping to see some good art from the players, but i suppose i'm still hopeful with a week to go. I keep looking back to my unfinished picture and shaking my head because again, i'm a horrible artist and it shows.