Ensign
# 1 Download Time?
08-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Im new to the game. Very new. Well, i mean, ive not even played it yet.
Why?
Because its taking forever to download!
Is this normal??
Community Moderator
# 2
08-15-2012, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rman70 View Post
Why?
Is this normal??
If you're downloading for the first time, yes. It's quite large.

After this, it will normally go a lot faster.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
# 3
08-15-2012, 05:31 PM
The first time you are downloading the game, you have to download the entire program, rules, and whatnot, PLUS all the textures and animations. MMO are HUGE programs that you have to download. Plus, there is all the patches and extra stuff that you must download.

However, once you have the program on your computer, it will only take a minute or so to go form a cold start to walking on Earth Space Dock. Every Thursday, (or more often) They release a patch to fix and update certain things. These can download in anywhere from 2-10 minutes. Usually enough time to start the download, and check your Facebook page, and finish logging on.

Also, Welcome aboard Captain. May the stars reveal their wonder to you.
Career Officer
# 4
08-15-2012, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rman70 View Post
Why?
Is this normal??
The initial game install is over 8 Gigabytes worth of data... How quickly can you download this amount of data???
Captain
# 5
08-15-2012, 09:53 PM
My home connection absolutely hates STO's download/patch system so what I do is download it all at a T1 at my office, go to all the regularly used events (to prepatch them) and then bring it all home on a USB drive.

The game directory is more or less self-contained so you can treat the folder as a 'portable' installation.

This gives you the option of using a fast connection somewhere (or a friend to burn a freshly patched install on DVD) then playing it someplace else.

** - Home computer hates the 'disable patch on demand option' so I don't use that.
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
Rihannsu
# 6
08-16-2012, 02:13 AM
This game downloads quickly from Steam, if you got good connection of course.
Lieutenant
# 7
08-16-2012, 05:16 AM
I'm hoping to upgrade my computer to Windows 7 soon. If I were to copy the game's directory from my hardrive onto the new computer, would that mean I don't have to download the game again, or would it reduce the download time at all?
Captain
# 8
08-16-2012, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlak47 View Post
I'm hoping to upgrade my computer to Windows 7 soon. If I were to copy the game's directory from my hardrive onto the new computer, would that mean I don't have to download the game again, or would it reduce the download time at all?
You can just run the game direct from the directory you copied from the old HDD.
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
Ensign
# 9
08-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Ok. Thank guys.
Thats me started playing today.....20mins before the maintainance shut down(or wotever) lol
I had to download the patch then started playing...had to shut down for the maintianance ....now, starting the game up again....it says I need to download the patch again!!
Is this the usuall thursday update?
Career Officer
# 10
08-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Yep, most Thursdays there will be a patch that needs to be downloaded. Also, if you are not on a fast internet connection, disable 'patch on demand' in the options menu on the launcher. I would advise you to disable it anyway, that way you are not waiting when you transition to a sector that has patched funcitonality.