Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Commander
Compressed Cryo Launcher, aka the cryo pulsewave, at present deals roughly double the damage to health against all but the most prepared opponents as the next best pulsewave in the game, because armor does not resist it. This makes it the oneshot tac's best friend, and a general pain in the butt even in the hands of someone with no buffs or debuffs to their damage, like an engineer. So - what do we do about it?

The problem, as I see it, is making it still good - as an OPTION, not a necessary replacement - in PvP, and still great against Tholians, so that the people who spent a bunch of Lobi on it don't feel cheated.

Some thoughts for solutions:

1: Make the cryo pulsewave do some flavor of energy damage (perhaps Antiproton, in line with the other Tholian guns), with a hefty bonus damage against Tholians, like the [Borg] proc on STF ground weapons or the existing [Sonic] proc, so that the damage done makes up for the damage lost to Tholian energy resistance. Keep the slow/freeze effect proc, and the chance to freeze instead of knock-back.

2: Improve the unleveled cryo pulsewave to the base damage of a mk11 pulsewave, but add Cold Resistance to the player armors in the game as if Cold Damage was an energy type. In essence, make Cold damage a proc choice, like phaser, polaron, plasma, etc, rather than an overall damage choice. This would make the unleveled gun slightly better in PvE, have no change on the leveled mk12 gun in PvE, and make them still interesting, but no longer overpowered, in PvP.

3: Add a Cold Resist consumable or device to allow pre-buffing against the Cryo gun. This would have to be available for Energy Credits and a fairly small amount, too, because an expensive or novelty item would be the same as not having it at all. A food/drink item costing 5000 energy credits, lasting 5 minutes or until death, and granting 40 cold resistance, for example.

Any other ideas?
Captain
# 2
08-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Why not equip some Environmental Suits with Cold resistance?

I could have sworn I've seen them...
Commander
# 3
08-16-2012, 09:32 AM
The very best one costs 7 dollars on the cstore and still only provides 15% cold resistance, which is insignificant. It also provides half the energy resistance of normal armor, which means you'll die almost as fast to the cryo gun, and twice as fast to everything else, as you would in other armor.
Captain
# 4
08-16-2012, 04:06 PM
A new consumable in the Lobi store maybe?
Division Hispana
www.divisionhispana.com
Lieutenant
# 5
08-16-2012, 04:17 PM
I don't do hardly any ground pvP, but wasn't this already an issue with the breen cryo cannon? If not, why wasn't it?
Captain
# 6
08-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantsmaster916 View Post
I don't do hardly any ground pvP, but wasn't this already an issue with the breen cryo cannon? If not, why wasn't it?
Because the CR200's rate of fire and damage is lower than the enhanced version of the Cryo gun.
Captain
# 7
08-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shookyang View Post
Because the CR200's rate of fire and damage is lower than the enhanced version of the Cryo gun.
Besides, the animation lock of the secondary fire of the CRM 200 is really looooong, so you can see when someone is going to fire. A good tact using Ambush + the secondary fire of the CRM can wipe out an entire team .
Division Hispana
www.divisionhispana.com

Last edited by mrkollins; 08-16-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Commander
# 8
08-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkollins View Post
A new consumable in the Lobi store maybe?
I was going to argue that this wouldn't work because it would be impossible for people to buy them in large enough numbers to be practical.

Then I realized that I don't need to argue anything, because there already is a consumable in the Lobi store that boosts All Damage Resistance, and nobody uses it... because it's impossible for people to buy them in large enough numbers to be practical.
Career Officer
# 9
08-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guriphu View Post
The very best one costs 7 dollars on the cstore and still only provides 15% cold resistance, which is insignificant. It also provides half the energy resistance of normal armor, which means you'll die almost as fast to the cryo gun, and twice as fast to everything else, as you would in other armor.
you do realize that the 7$ one is actually quite weak and more just for the look right?

check the exchange. you'd be surprised what you can find for dirt cheep ec.
Commander
# 10
08-18-2012, 09:36 AM
The highest cold resist for a non-Cstore suit is 5%.