Captain
# 1 OMG BUFF Riker Maneuver!
08-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Is it too much to ask to blow up one damn ship with it? C'MON MAN! Or should I say C'MON AL! Fleet Defense Invader ships are brushing off the Riker maneuver like Im tickling their back. I just paid $25, give me ONE Super weapon, sheesh, is that too much to ask?

And its sad my crafted MK XI quantums are way more powerful than the Wide angle launcher. At least make it as powerful as the Qs I can craft, sheesh. It makes it a liability to have it fore or aft.

Its not fair Al that you have ungodly strength in the starbase event ships and we cant have fun with at least 1 super weapon to instantly blow up at least one of them.
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Zorro
"Captain, the entity appears to be A New Accord"
Career Officer
# 2
08-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleohnine View Post
I just paid $25, give me ONE Super weapon, sheesh, is that too much to ask? *snip*
Its not fair Al that you have ungodly strength in the starbase event ships and we cant have fun with at least 1 super weapon to instantly blow up at least one of them.
Have you considered what would happen if the ability got buffed as you request and:

A) The NPC ships (perhaps mirror universe ones) got the console, as has recently happened with isometric charges, aceton assimilators, etc.

B) People started using a literal 'I Win' button in PvP gameplay? There's more than PvE in this game, you know.
12th Fleet | Sad Pandas | Starfleet M.A.C.O.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
08-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Problem is when Riker did it, it was an ingenuity exploit. The Son'a were so focused on destroying the Big E that they ignored the conditions they were fighting in. Shooting a highly unstable gas out your exhaust, pretty much telegraphs your intent to the enemy, and allows them the opportunity to avoid the "Riker Maneuver". Honestly, if the bad guy ignited the gas while it was still flowing from your nacelles, you'd quite, literally, be hoisted by your own petard. Another idea Cryptic really didn't put a whole lot of thought into.
Captain
# 4
08-16-2012, 01:19 PM
But they can ungodly buff the attackers in PvE. Why cant that buff the consoles ONLY in PvE?
Captain
# 5
08-16-2012, 01:20 PM
I dunno, sounds like the perfect launcher for a shuttle.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Contact support @ https://support.perfectworld.com/app/ask
to show your displeasure over the stealth mail attachment nerf
Lieutenant
# 6
08-16-2012, 01:44 PM
so the base damage from the cloud is 2040.4 damage/second for 5 seconds

add in 3 [Console - Tactical - Plasma Infuser Mk XII] and it goes up to 2940.4 damage/second for 5 seconds.

not worth it.

and running 3 plasma energy tac consoles means you have to use plasma weapons. so that rules out PVP since every STF shield has plasma damage resistance built in to it.

so this console is not viable for pvp in my opinion
"We are the Perfect World. Life as you know it is over. We will add your monetary distinctiveness to our own. Your player base will adapt to service us. Resistance is Futile."
Captain
# 7
08-16-2012, 01:48 PM
When you pay $25 for something, it should be maxed out awesome without having to add all sorts of buffs to it. I bet fully buffed it still cant one shot a frigate.
Lieutenant
# 8
08-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
I dunno, sounds like the perfect launcher for a shuttle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleohnine View Post
When you pay $25 for something, it should be maxed out awesome without having to add all sorts of buffs to it. I bet fully buffed it still cant one shot a frigate.

I tested this againt a fleet mate.

he was sitting still in an MVAE with no shield equipped. I covered him in the cloud and detonated it.

It took him down to 78% hull. Then he activated HE and was at full hull a few seconds later
"We are the Perfect World. Life as you know it is over. We will add your monetary distinctiveness to our own. Your player base will adapt to service us. Resistance is Futile."
Captain
# 9
08-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovalmorgan View Post
I tested this againt a fleet mate.

he was sitting still in an MVAE with no shield equipped. I covered him in the cloud and detonated it.

It took him down to 78% hull. Then he activated HE and was at full hull a few seconds later
No quantum buffs for the launcher, no projectile weapons DOFF's, no hull plating ?
<edited>
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Contact support @ https://support.perfectworld.com/app/ask
to show your displeasure over the stealth mail attachment nerf

Last edited by lordmalak1; 08-16-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Ensign
# 10
08-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Ugh. Hearing these reports is really hampering my spirits. I've been waiting for a long time for the Sovereign refit, and I was ecstatic when I heard it was coming this week. But, now that I'm hearing about the Metreon Gas, and the Torp Launcher, I'm sort of on the fence. I still want to buy it, but I don't know.

One guy, in another thread, had a good report:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara View Post
Fleet action and Elite STF tested, with multiple Regents accompanied by an MVAE, a Galaxy R and a space whale.

The Regents outgunned and outflew all the Fed cruisers easily and we kept up with the MVAE with Attack Patterns Alpha and Omega + Aux2Batt1 engine boost, which gave us a combat turnrate of 20+ degrees per second. The Regent is -very- fast and handles spectacularly well, almost like a Klingon Vor'Cha in agility.

The wide angle quantum launcher is the perfect accompaniment to line-of-battle "broadside" combat and you can do very nice formation strafing attacks with massed beams and broadside torpedo shots at maximum range. The damage may be nerfed but with the torpedo spread and salvo skills, they are still quite devastating!

The Riker Manuver is very impressive visually but tactically you need to get used to handling it as it has a tendency to prematurely detonate if you're the sort to FAW everywhere
How does the Metreon Gas Detonate, can you detonate it? It sounds like you can. Can the enemy detonate it if they get stuck in it? And also, it looks like the enemy can get "stuck" also, sort of like the "Eject Warp Plasma" skill.