Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 376
With the same hull, identical console slots, better shields, one better turn rate, better inertia, ensign engineering replacing ensign tactical, and science lieutenant instead of universal, I find that the faithful Excelsior is still holding its own as a choice for a damage dealing cruiser.

I am not a cruiser fanatic, but I own them all. I love the D'Kora, and found magic with the Vor'Cha on the KDF side. On the Federation side I am in the process of leveling up a better engineering captain, since retraiting is still not in game. I want to see if I can conquer the Federation cruiser. Will the Advanced Heavy Cruiser Retrofit be the end all/be all? Or will I find a reason to spend more for a new Regent?


Join Date: December 2009 - Alliance Central Command - boq botlhra'ghom
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 76
# 2
08-17-2012, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpaaa View Post
With the same hull, identical console slots, better shields, one better turn rate, better inertia, ensign engineering replacing ensign tactical, and science lieutenant instead of universal, I find that the faithful Excelsior is still holding its own as a choice for a damage dealing cruiser.

I am not a cruiser fanatic, but I own them all. I love the D'Kora, and found magic with the Vor'Cha on the KDF side. On the Federation side I am in the process of leveling up a better engineering captain, since retraiting is still not in game. I want to see if I can conquer the Federation cruiser. Will the Advanced Heavy Cruiser Retrofit be the end all/be all? Or will I find a reason to spend more for a new Regent?
And now, for the thrilling conclusion...

But yeah, Regent's ensign tac slot makes all the difference for me! whether I go with 7 BA and 1 WAQTL, or 2 DBB 2 quantums, and 4 turrets, that setup lets me get in everything I want or need! Plus if your objective is to do damage, I just slot 1 neutronium and 1 field emitter, and I have the universal EWP console, I can stick in 2x RCS consoles for the turn rate if I am doing the forward firing build! Easy! Use 2pc tetryon Glider with 6 points in flow capacitors, use tac team with 2x tac team doffs, AP:B, CRF2, and torp spread 1 (that's for the DBB quants and turrets build) and you are set! On the other hand if you are going with 7 BA and 1 WAQTL, you just replace the CRF2 with FAW3! Now, here is where I WISH I could run 2x WAQTL, but noooooo i'm only allowed to have one.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 227
# 3
08-17-2012, 07:41 AM
It's funny, I've tried all the flavor of the month ships and cruiser builds, but in the end I always come back to my old reliable Excelsior. I just love this ship. Takes an absolute pounding and gives as good as it gets. Even with the "fix" to get the hull back in line I still prefer this ship over my Oddy. When I saw the console/BOFF set up for the Regent I kind of shrugged as it didn't look all that different from what we already have in the Excelsior and the Assault Cruiser. I bought it to try out, and the 180 degree torpedo is worth it, but I'm sure after a week of running it I'll just swap the torp onto my Excelsior and be right back to flying it.

Anyone else notice if you un-slot the Transwarp console you still get transwarp options for the entire galaxy when you click on your transwarp button?
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 76
# 4
08-17-2012, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashuk2381 View Post
It's funny, I've tried all the flavor of the month ships and cruiser builds, but in the end I always come back to my old reliable Excelsior. I just love this ship. Takes an absolute pounding and gives as good as it gets. Even with the "fix" to get the hull back in line I still prefer this ship over my Oddy. When I saw the console/BOFF set up for the Regent I kind of shrugged as it didn't look all that different from what we already have in the Excelsior and the Assault Cruiser. I bought it to try out, and the 180 degree torpedo is worth it, but I'm sure after a week of running it I'll just swap the torp onto my Excelsior and be right back to flying it.

Anyone else notice if you un-slot the Transwarp console you still get transwarp options for the entire galaxy when you click on your transwarp button?
Good god man, you haven't been wasting a console slot on the retrofit with the transwarp console have you? Back when they separated out the retro and the regular, they decided to leave the transwarp options on the retrofit without having to use the console. Soooo yeah, stick something useful in there.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 346
# 5
08-17-2012, 08:29 AM
And the Odyssey provides more Hull, Shields, Console slots, Sensor Analysis (Sci Odyssey only) and can replicate the BOFF layout.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 227
# 6
08-17-2012, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrus19 View Post
Good god man, you haven't been wasting a console slot on the retrofit with the transwarp console have you? Back when they separated out the retro and the regular, they decided to leave the transwarp options on the retrofit without having to use the console. Soooo yeah, stick something useful in there.

No, lol, I was just making a point. Honestly I got the Heavy Retro-Fit about 2 months ago and have just been parked over DS9 while running STFs and never used the transwarp option until recently and figured I would just get the normal pop-up for Earth Starbase and K7 then saw all the options. I yanked the console off the minute I bought the ship. I very rarely leave the c-store consoles slotted, with the exception of the point defense system.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,534
# 7
08-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Ahh...the reliable Excelsior, how do I love thee. Let me count the ways...

One one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one-thousand!...

*Ahem*

Yeah, even with that ensign engineering, I still consider the Excelsior an amazing ship. The fact that she can hold her own after 200 years, which is a VERY long time indeed, is quite impressive. I know exactly which ship that new torpedo is going on for me.

Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,063
# 8
08-17-2012, 03:46 PM
This is most likely because we now have a spectrum of several different Fed cruisers for different uses.

On the "tanky/healboat" side, we have the Star Cruiser and Gal-R (and, arguably, the Odyssey Star Cruiser). In the middle, we have the traditional Assault Cruiser. The Gal-X probably fits in around this point as tending towards tactical with the phaser lance and all, though it's got several limitations so it is not the 'most' tactical cruiser. Tending towards offense is the Excel-R, and pushing all the way towards offense is the Regent.

The Odyssey is designed in such a way that it can be inserted into most of these roles, at least if you have the three-pack.

So no, the Excel-R is not going to be obsolete. The Regent is for players who tend more towards a more tactical cruiser, and the Excel-R tends towards a bit more tankiness/power control.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 318
# 9
08-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Also the regent has turnrate 7, where the Excelsior has turnrate 8.

you would be very suprised what that 1 degree means. Such as to match my turnrate a regent must use 2 RCS consoles where I only have to use one to get to a turnrate that allows effective single cannon use. So for cannon builds excelsior remains superior. Sorta made me sad as much as I love the excelsior its still kinda odd giving it to a tac cube in a 200+ year old ship. Oh well theres still hope in the Vesta if it gets a super boff layout.

Beam broadside boat there is a tossup fed side with the regent/ody 3 pac now, depending on preference of boff powers.

Last edited by hroothvitnir; 08-17-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,395
# 10
08-17-2012, 07:20 PM
I can't really see any reason to take the Sovy over the Excel. The only non-Ody cruiser that outclasses the Excel Fed-side is the D'Kora.

I kinda wish the Galaxy variants had more teeth but word on the wire is that someone on the dev team just plain doesn't like them, so they regularly get the shaft. Sad.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:18 PM.