Survivor of Remus
# 1 Photonic Shockwave Nerf
08-17-2012, 06:51 AM
While, yes this nerf was needed. I think it was given too much. Possibly restore maybe 40% of the nerf? Because this was a very very large drop to shockwave. (Making it useless like every other sci skill in STO) Fully setup with partical gen + Consols my shockwave 3 only gets 4k dmg down from 12k. And the disable is very short. Maybe a 40% damage boost. and Add 2 seconds to all the shockwaves disable duration.

A nerf was needed, but it wasnt needed this bad!
Captain
# 2
08-17-2012, 07:14 AM
Yeah it definetly was needed I was hit by a KDF in Ker'rat once and on a crit hit or something- it did like 20k of dmg and took me out - right through the shields. my hull was not max but still this was stupid
Captain
# 3
08-17-2012, 07:14 AM
There was no nerf, there was just bug fix. I however agree that the base should be increaed to compensate.
Lieutenant
# 4
08-17-2012, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenmirror2012 View Post
(Making it useless like every other sci skill in STO)
Got to agree with this. Tac is now about 3000 times better than sci. They started out about equal, but all the crying got sci nerfed to oblivion.
Survivor of Remus
# 5
08-17-2012, 08:07 AM
20k isnt bad. Ive seen 100k PSW's the problem now is the fact its been nerfed to the point where it isnt useful. 3 Partical Generators+full Partical gen spec PSW 3 did 4k damage. Before the nerf it did 13k. That is more then a 50% Reduction. Just getting half of this reduction back will maintain the usefulness of this skill.

Amoung the other skills that need boosts.
Gravity Well
Charged Partical burst
Energy Syphon
Tkyns Rift
Photonic officer
Science Team
Scramble Sensors

That is... almost every science skill... -_-

Atleast keep science as a valid class. Youve already made sci ships impossible. they are even useless in pve, dont make me start with pvp.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-17-2012, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
Yeah it definetly was needed I was hit by a KDF in Ker'rat once and on a crit hit or something- it did like 20k of dmg and took me out - right through the shields. my hull was not max but still this was stupid
Then your hull is most definitely weak, and your KDF opponent got incredibly lucky. PSW deals kinetic damage, which means if there is even 1 shield point on a face, you'll only receive 25% of the total damage. And yes, while 100k crits with PSW are possible, it can only be done by stacking every single buff a tac officer has into a single attack...and even then, it's not guaranteed. And since every single Fed ship has at least 30k hull (after even a little skill investment), I'm going to say you're full of it.

PSW III was balanced within the game. Was this due to a bug? Yes, but by fixing the bug and ignoring the resulting imbalance, they have screwed over a large amount of science captains who rely on it do deal damage. If you complain about the KDF being able to abuse it due to BoPs, then that is an issue with a subset of vessels, and NOT the skill itself. Otherwise, you may as well complain about Attack Pattern Alpha, for all the damage that allows KDF cloakers to deal.

They should have fixed the bug, and increased the base damage to keep the skill balanced. They chose not to, and now science doesn't have a damage dealing skill to slot, which means science really only has one good commander-level skill in Viral Matrix III. Just because tac captains can abuse it doesn't mean you nerf the skill for the rest of us.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
08-17-2012, 08:26 AM
I was wondering why I wasn't hitting as hard with this today. It doesn't surprise me. It seems like science captains are the whipping boys of STO.

I wouldn't call Viral Matrix a "good" skill, since it is countered with engineering team, a skill any self-respecting cruiser captain should have. I see a lot of sci's using gravity well, but the cooldown on that takes forever.

I don't think we have anything nice anymore.
Survivor of Remus
# 8
08-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Gravity well does low damage and the pull is almost compleatly negated by just having 1 point in inertial dampeners.

And tact captains can effectively abuse everything in STO. High yield torpedos critting for 40k each. High yield TCDs hiting for 140k.TCD spread each TCD doing 60k dmg, CRF where Cannons can do 10k Crits. CSV where u can AOE 7k Crits, TBR where u can megaspike, Viral matrix can disable engines, open to be pwned. Directed Energy Modulation, can get it to do 500 damage a shot. And PSW is only abusable by a tact captain every 3 minutes. excuse me, was. Now it is as useless as every other sci ability

Sci abilitys iz so useless i fly my bugship with 3 engineering boffs.

Last edited by brokenmirror2012; 08-17-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Career Officer
# 9
08-17-2012, 09:01 AM
Why would ANY nerf be needed? I cant remember myself being killed or severely damaged by anyone's shockwave. But perhaps I'm the only one that properly has some hull resistance on?
Survivor of Remus
# 10
08-17-2012, 09:30 AM
Nope Mt'haxxor i have moar resist then u even :p Minimax once crit PSW alphaed me for 10000(90000) xD