Career Officer
# 21
08-17-2012, 05:05 PM
A Romulan faction would be intriguing.. but I think it will be a combo effect.

Since the Friday screenshot was a Romulan colony, has what appears as a Tholian in the foreground, and we know that the Iconians are involved with both...

I see something definitely with the Iconians
Republic Veteran
# 22
08-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Romulan/Iconian themed lockboxes.

Romulan/Iconian themed Lobi Store items.

Romulan/Iconian themed grind-maps.

Romulan/Iconian themed time-gated events

Romulan/Iconian themed Z-store items.

That's what we'll be getting.

Now let me tell you what we WILL NOT be getting.

STFs, FEs, PVP maps or plot progression.

"To Boldly Grind..." *sigh*
Survivor of Romulus
# 23
08-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
KDF needs more fleshing out to do before the Romulans can come. I and hope DStahl doesn't entertain his idea of a "mini faction".
Yeah, keep holding your breath for that.

Sorry, but the KDF is as fleshed out as it's going to be, and tbh it's fine the way it is. The only content the KDF will see more of is end game, and possibly more one off missions. So that excuse is no longer valid. A Romulan mini-faction would be fine.
=\/= ================================ =\/=
Centurion maximus92
12th Legion, Romulan Republic
12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
Career Officer
# 24
08-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidacid29 View Post
Romulan events and missions that you can only do after getting them out of a Romulan lockbox? lol
LOL Yeah! You have to keep opening boxes to unlock a playable Romulan. Then more lock boxes to get a Romulan Crew. Then even more lockboxes to get a D'deridex.

Then you can do the Romulan Event. Once you grind that 100000 times you get Romulan DOFFs (or you can open more lockboxes for Romulan Duty Packs). And you need the Romulan DOFFs in order to make Mk 12 Ground Sets and Space Sets!

Someone tell me this is not 100% win for the Ferengis @ PWE!
Career Officer
# 25
08-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Season 7 there's going to be a new sector block between Pi Canis and Psi Velorum. And if eventually they want to add the Romulans, and they're going to be developing new art assets for this sector anyway, it makes sense for them to lean toward Romulan themed stuff, so they can get some of the art work for that however distant day done in advance.

Even so, if you're ready to assume there will be a Romulan faction in season 7, though, or even 8 or 9, you're very likely to be in for a series of disappointments.
Reave
Career Officer
# 26
08-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Very likely.

Well they didn't say whose border, right?

But Nimbus III is along the Federation Border, on the other side of the Romulan Empire. So Klingon's would have to do some traveling, unless Cryptic moves it like the Azure Nebula.
Actually the Nimbus System is in an area where the Federation, the Klingon Empire and the Romulan Empire all come together...

Which is not that far from the Azure Nebula.

It's kind of a Super Neutral Zone where all three intermingle...

That's why it was picked to be the place for the "Planet of Galactic Peace".

That, and it was also picked because it was just a big rock of a planet and there is nothing there that anybody would want to fight over.
DaveyNY - STO Forum Minion since February - 2009
................Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just Minions who have Played the Game for the last 4.75 years.

Last edited by daveyny; 08-17-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Career Officer
# 27
08-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyny View Post
Actually the Nimbus System is in an area where the Federation, the Klingon Empire and the Romulan Empire all come together...

Which is not that far from the Azure Nebula.

It's kind of a Super Neutral Zone where all three intermingle...

That's why it was picked to be the "Planet of Galactic Peace".

That, and it was also picked because it was just a big rock of a planet and there is nothing there that anybody would want to fight over.
They come together..... politically.

While it was stated that it was in the Neutral Zone, it was never specified that it was in the Neutral Zone area that bordered the Federation, Romulan and Klingon Empires.

But in the Voyager Episode: Child's Play, we were shown a starchart that indicates Nimbus III has to be located on the coreward side of Romulan Space, the opposite side of the Klingon Empire. Why? Peliar Zel II is a Federation World, so unless it's deep in Imperial Territory, there is only one logical place it could be.

That is why in the Star Trek Star Charts, it was placed on the Coreward side of the Federation, along the Romulan Neutral Zone.

But Khitomer, was once a Klingon world and taken over the Romulans, then liberated in STO. So it's right there on the KDF border.

As for the Azure Nebula, in Star Trek it was along the Federation-Klingon Empire's border, where Sulu tried to rescue Kirk by using it as cover. But in STO, they have it on the far side of Omega Leonis. So wish the Dev Team move it back to the proper location.
Career Officer
# 28
08-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Actually, if They use the current blank spaces between Psi Velorum & Pi Canis for the new Sector Blocks, it'll just about line up with the same area on the Star Trek Star Maps.

The first block will probably have the Arucanis Arm in it...
(which I think the whole Zone Should be called at this point, since it's been the name associated with that area since the game went live)...

The Azure Nebula (which is located just about where the three Powers come together on the Trek Maps),
will probably be in the center block along with the Hromi Cluster and possibly Khitomer..
(BTW: Rura Penthe is shown below the Azure Nebula and Khitomer on the Trek maps so it makes sense that Sulu would use it for cover.)

(this would also be a logical place to locate Nimbus III & Narendra III, even though they are not actually shown on the Trek Maps.)

Iconia will probably be in the block farthest to the right, above H'Atoria in Klingon Space...
(which is a bit of a stretch, but due to the shape of the STO sectors isn't unreasonable)...

I can't find any of the places from that Voyager Chart on the Star Maps..., But I may be looking in the wrong places...

Which direction would be 'core-ward' when looking at the Trek Maps??

Here's a home-spun fan created map that gives a much better idea of how things are laid out.

It also adds in many on-screen places that the Trek Maps don't show...

Granted it's not an official version, but it's pretty darn close anyway.
DaveyNY - STO Forum Minion since February - 2009
................Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just Minions who have Played the Game for the last 4.75 years.

Last edited by daveyny; 08-17-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Career Officer
# 29
08-17-2012, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Actually, if They use the current blank spaces between Psi Velorum & Pi Canis for the new Sector Blocks, it'll just about line up with the Star Trek Star Maps.
Of course it will line up, they used the Star Trek Star Charts to make the maps in STO.

Quote:
The Azure Nebula (which is located just about where the three Powers come together on the Trek Maps),
will probably be in the center block along with the Hromi Cluster and possibly Khitomer..
I agree. Here is what Cryptic should do:
  1. Get rid of the Hromi Exploration Cluster and make it a normal sector.
  2. Rename new Sector block "Carraya Sector" as per canon.
  3. Add in Star Cluster (not a nebula) within Hiromi Sector and name it the "Hromi Cluster"
  4. Move the Azure Nebula to the 3 state boarders either in the Carraya Sector or the Khitomer Sector.
**Note, Carraya Sector is where the Romulan Prison World is located.

Quote:
Khitomer should be between Mylasa and Mempa Sectors.

There is no official sector name where Khitomer is, but they could simply call it Khitomer Sector.

Quote:

Iconia will probably be in the block farthest to the right, above H'Atoria in Klingon Space....
(which is a bit of a stretch, but due to the shape of the STO sectors isn't unreasonable)...
Personally, I would like it closer to the Federation / Romulan Neutral Zone, as per canon. But I don't think Cryptic is going to completely overhaul the Iconia mission and relocate on the other side of the Empire.

Quote:
I can't find any of the places from that Voyager Chart on the Star Maps..., But I may be looking in the wrong places...

Which direction would be 'core-ward' when looking at the Trek Maps??

Here's a home-spun fan created map that gives a much better idea of how things are laid out.

It also adds in many on-screen places that the Trek Maps don't show...

Granted it's not an official version, but it's pretty darn close anyway.

Coreward = Towards the Galactic Core (I.E. "North").

And I disagree with that Fan-Made map, especially with the Xindi. I honestly wish I had access to Photoshop again to complete my map, but put it this way, this fan-map is going in the wrong direction. I'll do a quick summary in trying to explain.

In the real Milky Way, the Galactic arm we live in, the edge is 50 Light Years away. And it's 2000 light years "wide", and given the time it took to travel, it basically put the Xindi in the next Galactic Arm (the Sagitarius Arm).

Not only that, but why in Star Trek canon, why coreward sectors were explored, but we never really seen it happen in TOS or TNG (though ST5, but that wouldn't be "exploring").

Now lets say it was on the Southern End of the Federation as per the fanmap, 50 LYs puts the edge of the Expanse within very familiar Star Trek territory. And the only familiar aliens we saw during the Xindi arc was the Ferengi, which would've put them very far from home. And the Klingons, its still along their territory, surely they wouldn't have given up chasing Archer?

But putting it on the "north" end makes sense, because thats "unknown" territory, near Ferengi space, far from Klingon space, and matches up nicely with the real life Milky Way.

So that's why I think it's "north" of Federation Space.
Empire Veteran
# 30
08-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravin View Post
Yeah, keep holding your breath for that.

Sorry, but the KDF is as fleshed out as it's going to be, and tbh it's fine the way it is. The only content the KDF will see more of is end game, and possibly more one off missions. So that excuse is no longer valid. A Romulan mini-faction would be fine.
No, mini-factions totally suck and who are you to say its fine? However in terms of trying to make everyone happy it might make make sense to allow someone who has gained level 50 in one faction to have the option of jumping in at level 20 in other factions instead, but please don't say its fine as it maybe for you, but not others. Mini-factions strike of laziness more than anything else.

PWE already stated they wanted it fleshed out, just not sure exactly when as the team have higher priorities elsewhere and a lot of that is getting Neverwinter ready for release early next year "in a more highly polished state than any other Cryptic title" as stated at Gamescon recently, no doubt they have learned just how critical it is to have a complete game on release...

Isn't also naive to think Cryptic is exactly the same company as it was a year ago? I'm willing to be positive and wash the slate clean all things considered and hope the upcoming seasons live up to the hype.