Starfleet Veteran
Can someone enlighten me to the benefits of using Photonic Shockwave in Fleet Alerts to push the enemies out of range of Defenders and out of Radiation/ Warp Plasma Clouds?

Also some people use Tractor Beam Repulsors to do the same thing?

I can see no benefit, but am willing to give people the benefit of the doubt.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Well congratulations, no one will be using it for damage now! Thanks, Devs!

Honestly, those are the same players who use TBR relentlessly to push enemies away from the group and kill any chance of effectively using AOE abilities. However, PSWs disable means that if the enemy is trying to escape a gravity well, the disable will kill their engines and make them fall into it. I'm guilty of misjudging the distance between myself and a target, and inadvertently hitting them out of a cloud, but keep in mind that oftentimes people will only have just begun spewing the cloud when a person hits PSW. And be glad that PSW has a limited kd, unlike the annoying TBR.

So really, it's either an ignorant, malicious, or accidental happenstance, and you should thank your lucky stars it wasn't TBR.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
08-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Actually I just finished a Fleet Protect the Starbase Mission that was pretty much ALL TBR.

Maybe it's a new form of griefing as it didn't appear to help the player using it much.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.

Last edited by thlaylierah; 08-17-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Captain
# 4
08-17-2012, 02:11 PM
It's not just the photonic shockwave. I don't know how many times enemies were saved from my tricobalt mine by a fool with tractor beam repulsors. Sometimes I wonder who fights who.
Career Officer
# 5
08-17-2012, 02:16 PM
It can be helpful to to quickly push attackers off the freighters for example, especially if your the only ship to respond. Its also pretty effective against fighters and isometric charges. But that hardly gives carte blanche to spam it especially when your team is there trying to kill stuff.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Commander
# 6
08-17-2012, 02:18 PM
I'm so sorry but i do not get what this is about sorry.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
08-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by szim View Post
It's not just the photonic shockwave. I don't know how many times enemies were saved from my tricobalt mine by a fool with tractor beam repulsors. Sometimes I wonder who fights who.
Trator beam repulsor III From hell

I hate this....
...now see my dedication plaque
USS PEACEMAKER
- NCC-511217-A
and Screenshot With Two Steps From Hell Music Mix
- Brazilian Fleet - lvl 20_Tier5 / Emb,DiliM,Spi lvl 9
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
08-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpenfold View Post
I'm so sorry but i do not get what this is about sorry.
Some players in the fleet missions use either Photonic Shockwave or Tractor Beam Repulsors to move enemies away from their teammates weapons and effects.

Some enemies are simply pushed out of weapons range while others are pushed out of Warp Plasma and Theta radiation clouds, thus saving them from the team's actions completely against what the missions want you to do.

Last edited by thlaylierah; 08-17-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Career Officer
# 9
08-17-2012, 07:14 PM
I see this a fair bit. I'll drop a warp plasma or something, and about a second later, someone flies through with TBR at full blast.

I assume the intention is to push enemies away from vital targets, like the starbase itself, or freighters. This is in and of itself a perfectly sound tactic, and when applied intelligently, it can achieve the desired effect.

Unfortunately, in some groups, especially pugs where communication is lacking, timing can be an issue. Maybe the TBR-user didn't see you fire off that Gravity Well and hit his Repulsors, only to be horrified as the purple cloud forms and he sees his well-meaning ability push the enemy ships to freedom. Similarly, maybe the TBR-user didn't notice the plasma cloud dropped behind him and the sphere of TBR effect accidentally pushes the enemy vessels out of harm's way.

In any case, I'm convinced they mean well and aren't usually trying to grief. It's just a result of poor timing, or at worst, good intentions ruined by poor planning.
Empire Veteran
# 10
08-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Possibly these players are not successfully tac buffing the two powers correctly for damage and as such they merely move the targets without killing them?
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.