Captain
I was thinking of posting this in a less-trafficked board but since this is really directed towards the devs, why not this one.

The Galaxy classes, and in particular the Galaxy-R, are very oddly designed. It's crippled from the start by a god awful turn rate, even by cruiser standards... it only comes with two Tac consoles, which would be acceptable (even if it isn't nearly enough to get by in this day and age) except the toy console is saucer sep... what on earth were they thinking? Why put saucer sep on a ship that has zero teeth?

There isn't even anything particularly tanky about the Gal-R... it only has ~4.5k more hull than a bug (and 2k less than an Operations Ody). It just has no unique selling point and isn't built towards any special end other than as a very generic healboat.

Personally, I would fix it by giving it a Lt. Com. Sci and bumping the Lt. Com. Eng down to a Lt, as well as an extra Sci console. Some also feel an extra Tac console would help immensely, which is fair too.

It's kind of criminal that any Star Trek game can get away with not releasing a Galaxy variant that doesn't make you feel like a dumbass for flying it.

Please donate just 10 cents a month to save the poor Galaxy!
Empire Veteran
# 2
08-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Yeah, I can certainly go on this quite a bit. I mean, I got a Galaxy-R back in the day before they took away the VA token from people and make it a Vet-reward. I played it for awhile of course, feeling awesome being able to fly around in the mighty Galaxy as it was meant to be, but...also hating everything you mentioned.

I'd be totally up for like a Lt. Cmdr science (as I mentioned in the thread where you linked me here), just because having something like a TSS 3, or something along those lines, would make it an honestly much more viable ship. I don't think the loss of a 2nd Lt. Cmdr Engineering ability would hurt this ship very much at all.

Career Officer
# 3
08-18-2012, 03:01 AM
well you can always buy the Fleet Variant wich has 10% more hull and shields +1 console slot

for just 2000 Zen and a year or so long grind for a Starbase.

imho the Gal-R was pretty good, the real benefit of saucer Sep isn't the Saucer pet but the reduced turn rate.

my problems are more with the Visuals, the Galaxy Class just looks like a place holder from a pre-Beta state.

the +1 C-Store variant has missing windows under it's saucer which gives me horrible OCD so i can't fly that thing anymore.

the by now mediocre stats give it the rest

and before anybody comes in and tells me that they can't make the Galaxy Class look more accurate because it's an MMO and polycounts and whatever, look at the +1 Variant or the Oddyssey, both have a hell of a lot more Detail, they can do it if they just want to.

and no i am not asking for another random +1 variant either, i don't care for those 2409 Skins, i want the ORIGINAL to look as accurate as possible.

The Star Trek Hero Ships (Galaxy, Defiant, Intrepid, Sovereign, Constitution) in this game look just not good enough.
They were rushed as everything else before release and then polished up a bit with a hot iron so that they werent as horrible as before but they are nowhere near GOOD at this point.
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
08-18-2012, 03:15 AM
not this again??

Look the Galaxy is fine
you want an all powerful super cruiser look at newer ships

The Galaxy R is a multi role MISSION ship
Career Officer
# 5
08-18-2012, 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerless View Post
I was thinking of posting this in a less-trafficked board but since this is really directed towards the devs, why not this one.

The Galaxy classes, and in particular the Galaxy-R, are very oddly designed. It's crippled from the start by a god awful turn rate, even by cruiser standards... it only comes with two Tac consoles, which would be acceptable (even if it isn't nearly enough to get by in this day and age) except the toy console is saucer sep... what on earth were they thinking? Why put saucer sep on a ship that has zero teeth?

There isn't even anything particularly tanky about the Gal-R... it only has ~4.5k more hull than a bug (and 2k less than an Operations Ody). It just has no unique selling point and isn't built towards any special end other than as a very generic healboat.

Personally, I would fix it by giving it a Lt. Com. Sci and bumping the Lt. Com. Eng down to a Lt, as well as an extra Sci console. Some also feel an extra Tac console would help immensely, which is fair too.

It's kind of criminal that any Star Trek game can get away with not releasing a Galaxy variant that doesn't make you feel like a dumbass for flying it.

Please donate just 10 cents a month to save the poor Galaxy!
And LTC Sci? No........ The Galaxy is a tank for a reason.

If anything was to be improved, it would be to give her that canonical fast-turn capability.

Last edited by azurianstar; 08-18-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Revised
Empire Veteran
# 6
08-18-2012, 03:30 AM
The Galaxy R has been outclassed in every respectable way by the mighty Odyssey. I suppose considering that the Odyssey is SUPPOSED to be newer that it makes sense to a fair degree...

I think what you really need is just to wait for the Galaxy X Retrofit.
Career Officer
# 7
08-18-2012, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
The Star Trek Hero Ships (Galaxy, Defiant, Intrepid, Sovereign, Constitution) in this game look just not good enough.
They were rushed as everything else before release and then polished up a bit with a hot iron so that they werent as horrible as before but they are nowhere near GOOD at this point.
Speaking of heartbreaking looks, I was saddened that the Galaxy's trademark deflector was not available if you use the 900-day veteran skin. The Gal, Gal-X, and Nebula all get the 'blue eye' when using the skin.
Captain
# 8
08-18-2012, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
2 Tac Consoles? Last I checked, my G-X had 3 Tac Consoles.

And the Dev Team said they were going to give it a Saucer Seperation Capability that also gives the Lance a Shotgun attack. So you get that turn radius boost and a nice AoE in the process.

And LTC Sci? No........ If anything it would need a LTC Tactical Station to increase damage potential.
Did you even read the thread title, like honestly?
Empire Veteran
# 9
08-18-2012, 07:15 AM
Personally I don't see what all the hate about the Galaxy-R is. I used it for a long time on my Engineer main before switching to the Oddy, and honestly, I prefered the Galaxy-R for tanking more than any Oddy out there.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Captain
# 10
08-18-2012, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkrik23 View Post
Personally I don't see what all the hate about the Galaxy-R is. I used it for a long time on my Engineer main before switching to the Oddy, and honestly, I prefered the Galaxy-R for tanking more than any Oddy out there.
Well, that doesn't really make any sense... the Ops Ody outclasses the Gal-R in literally every single way (you can even duplicate the exact same layout if you really desire)... I suppose you could say you're more comfortable with the way the Gal-R 'handles' but the only difference is a staggering five less inertia on the Ops Ody. 99% of the time a point difference that low isn't even noticeable.

And this is just to stress, I'm not looking for a Gal-R that can compete with the Ody (though I wouldn't say no either!), I just want it to be on par with other endgame ships.

After reading up on the archives a little, I like this setup:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...&postcount=122

Quote:
Commander
Ensign
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Sensor Analysis would be nice too (and don't tell me it's a Sci exclusive because that stupid damn catbox got it, bite me). Now you'd have a ship that you can't safely ignore.