Commander
# 11
08-20-2012, 10:25 PM
This ship, IMHO, is absolutely gorgeous.

Have you ever thought of a ship that was juuuuust about to go to warp...that moment when it stretches out, when the potential energy of the warp core is in the process of being translated into kinetic energy? This ship looks like that, all the time...like it's hauling butt when it's sitting still.

The 'split hull' doesn't look like a split-hull design to me; it looks like a pair of structural beams that form the backbone of the ship, that start at the front of the saucer, and run all the way to the stern, in one piece; carving out the center area to reduce unnecessary mass just makes sense; why fill it in with extra mass (which, in spite of inertial dampeners, would increase the power needed to move the ship), when you don't need extra stuff in there?

The small deflector is another thing I hear some people complaining about; it's no smaller than the deflector on the Excelsior, and larger than that of many other ships in the game; as a result, I find its size perfectly feasible.

To the artist, kudos; the more I look at your ship, the more I want one.
Lieutenant
# 12
08-21-2012, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
What? How does this stem from the split hull? The Regent's nacelles clip into the saucer when you switch hulls because:

1. The Regent hull is longer than any of the other Assault Cruiser hulls.
2. The Regent Nacelles are longer than the other Assault Cruiser nacelles
3. The Regent Pylons are swept forward.

Therefore, switching hulls but not pylons brings the nacelles farther forward. You get the same result if you try to combine some skins and hulls as well on other ships.

BUT, if you use the backswept pylons with the short hulls, there's no problem. The split hull has nothing to do with the positioning of the pylons.
Oh I see.

Yes it is to do with the long tail of the Regent. Again a design oversight that prevents the forward swept pylons and nacelles integrating with the other ship parts nicely.

Another thing I noticed around the ugly and small deflector is some weird tri-shape going on. Its quite subtle and pointless.
Captain
# 13
08-29-2012, 07:17 AM
Actually, there is no rule in canon trek about the visbility of warp nacelles because there are many starship designs that break the rule. It is one of those old wives tales of Trek.