Starfleet Veteran
# 1 Unrealistic Space
08-10-2012, 03:25 AM
Space is a very cool thing. It is mostly a Vaccum apart from when it isn't. Now when I look into space on my telescope I can sometimes see Stars, depending on how awful the weather is here in the Uk. One thing is I don't see nebulae scattered every were. Planets are iluminated by the fact there is a star, and so are nubulae, not usally beacuse nebulae iluminate themselves. eg, the gas it self doesn't, the stars inside / outside do. So why does STO have soooo many nebulaes, and why cannot we see the (more or less) real nebulae, like the Hour Glass Nebula. Anyway as well as that, in this pvp map, craked planetiod, the whole planet is in on nebula, surrounded by perhaps the same on, it it fully iluminated. In Cannon, we don't see much on that or hardly very many neublae were ever we go. It just seems EVERYWHERE seems to have them, in Khitomer Accord, Infected space, deepspace encounters etc . I must say, Vulcan, Cure, Earth space dock, and a few other places which don't have them are more realistic and feel more startrek. I am not saying get rid of evreything beacuse , duh, there are others, but there are too many[/i] So, what is your opinion? Thanks for your time.
Career Officer
# 2
08-10-2012, 03:43 AM
It's a game and they are there for artistic beauty that's all. Emission Nebulae do in fact glow as they are heated by the stars around them, reflection nebulae as the name suggests tends to reflect starlight. I sympathise with your UK weather plight, I too am in the UK and hardly ever get the 6inch refractor out. Also if some of the systems are inside nebulae then it's possible this is indeed what the sky would look like. Whilst we are on the subject I would like to see other real space monsters in the game such as black holes, the ability to explore our own solar system etc.
Ensign
# 3
08-10-2012, 03:51 AM
I agree, nebula look way too bright and are too colofull.
Some maps look really ugly.
And we don't even speak of inconsistent light without any sun, unrealistic too bright glow, background slowing down computer, etc
As if space map creation was a random process

Devs have a lot of work to do to increase... I mean correct the space map quality
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
08-12-2012, 09:23 AM
See, the problem with this is that the truly "dark" space you desire looks very, well, empty and rather desolate, and doesn't fit in Star Trek's vision of the universe, which is teeming with life, activity, and infinite discovery. And when space looks like a lonely void with slow light and barely visible stars, it doesn't look like that.

Now, that's a personal sentiment, but one I believe the creatives at Cryptic share. Nebulas may not have covered the sky in the TV series or movies (Abrams-trek aside), but they constantly flew past visual phenomena.

And don't forget, most pictures of space that we have are in false color, which means most people's "vision" of space is already arguably fictionalized.

If there's any consolation, you can turn off Sector Space's nav layover, which, while not quite blacking out the stars, makes them less prominent. It's the same in the exploration clusters as well. Your lonely void is out there, but in the margins.
Captain
# 5
08-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Well it is a fictional universe, and what you see is supported by the Star Trek story. Sector view which is subspace is not representative of where everything is in sidereal space, none of the stars are where they are supposed to be fictional or otherwise.
A few nebulae and stellar phenomena would be interesting eye candy, but unless there some associated mission involved what would it bring to the game other that scenery?
Empire Veteran
# 6
08-12-2012, 07:44 PM
I thought there was a lot to look at out there. Gas and dust is pretty common stuff after all even in a vacuum. So what if they use false color to represent them? Most nebulae emit or reflect light in colors we cannot see otherwise.

Still I figured that sector space has so many nebulae because it is a representation of warp space so everything we see in sector space is compressed.
If you are a pickle in a pickle jar you know every pickle's different, sort of, but really they're all just pickles...
They taste the same.
Captain
# 7
08-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Every object in game requires a 3 dimensional object that is textured, like a star or planet or a 3 dimensional zone that contains a graphical effect to simulate the appearance of gas, like a nebula. Each region has a maximum capacity for the amount of digital information contained in that space, the compromise regarding the amount of detail being such to allow players with older systems with limited resources to be able to have access to the same areas as those players with newer more high end machines, adding too many details that require 3D rendering would not only increase loading time for everyone per region, it would bog older machines down into framerates in the single digit range.

From an in game standpoint I would assume the reason we can't see nebulae in subspace is because they don't exist in subspace and the navigational computer only renders objects that present a hazard in subspace, like the gravity wells of solar systems or nebulae with volatile energy fields like the Briar Patch and Badlands.

Last edited by maxvitor; 08-12-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Hrm. Well. Almost as often as the "one sector space" question gets brought up, is the "solar system" question. Without regurgitating a lot of dstahl interviews, sure, it's a great idea to be able to enter Sol, and get your pick of visiting any planet. Or get to see each individual planet without zoning first. I like flying to the moon and back. (If you'll be my baby.)

And... considering entering warp very often pushes our ships along the boundaries of a sector map before it despawns... and that "unified sector space" is really off the table, can we expect any of this sector tech to change anytime soon? Doubt it.

I mean... there are other games that aren't MMOs doing this. I don't understand how people expect this little-engine-that-could to bend over backwards, when there is exactly one game on the market that lets you seamlessly fly to and land on a planet all by yourself. If that's the game you want, it's there.

I like flying through an Astrometrics projection. I wouldn't know it was Star Trek, otherwise.

=/\= Transwarp 10.0 Victory Achieved on 26-July-2012, Six Months After F2P =/\=

Last edited by brackynews; 08-12-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Captain
# 9
08-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Be grateful that you are not dealing with the monstrosity that Sector Space was before Season 3.
Career Officer
# 10
08-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Yupp there is nothing to be seen from earth:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110520.html

Quote:
Explanation: Majestic nebulae and stars of our Milky Way Galaxy stretch across this panoramic image of the entire night sky. At full resolution, the 5 gigapixel mosaic was stitched together from over 37,000 images, the result of a season following, year long effort and 60,000 travel miles in search of still dark skies in the American west and the western Cape of South Africa. The well-planned project combined many exposures from the dark sites, intended to produce an inspiring view of the night to rival the brightness of day. An interactive journey through the scene will uncover a congeries of innumerable stars with vast clouds of gas and dust strewn along the galactic plane and central bulge, too faint to see with the unaided eye. Even galaxies of stars beyond our Milky Way can be found within the cosmic vista.
Go to the link to see the image or here to see the full size version of it (taken with regular digital cameras btw and no color editing):
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1105/3000_CC_BY-NC.jpg

Another picture taken by the same guy (again from earth):
http://www.setileague.org/photos/miscpix/milkyway2.jpg

And nope the nebula's aren't colorfull at all, not even when taken with the Hubble space telescope:

http://www.google.no/search?q=nebula...w=1579&bih=839

Last edited by rohirrim; 08-13-2012 at 02:42 PM.