Captain
# 1 @drkfrontiers Stray Dogs
08-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Qapla' batlh je warriors!

For a long time now it has been a hope of mine to start developing foundry episodes to bring to the Klingon community, and in doing so contribute to my faction's enjoyment.

"Stray Dogs", is my first Foundry mission in that endeavor! And God willing more to come

CLICK HERE to watch the trailer!

This is my first attempt, and sadly due to the limitations of the foundry, there was much I just could not accomplish.

What I did do, I hope you enjoy!

Here are some hints to help you get the most from the episode:

Not everything is as it seems. Explore the maps, you may well stumble onto an unexpected side-arc. Alternative scenarios and choices play an important of the storyline, but to achieve this, I was unable to include it in the main storyline. Before rushing through the "main" story arc, listen to what the NPC's are telling you. They could be giving you clues of what to do next!

I wish I could reward the players in some way for completing tasks, but alas simply knowing that you saved the day will have to suffice!

Notes:

If there is one thing more than anything I would like to see included in the Foundry tool, it would be the ability to include side-arc missions, and special rewards for individual tasks. Did I mention more assets?

Last edited by drkfrontiers; 09-12-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Career Officer
# 2
08-20-2012, 01:49 AM
I'm writing this as I play you mission. I can tell just from the first map this is going to be an interesting one. You clearly have an advanced understanding of the Klingon language.

I play a Gorn, so naturally the first thing I wish I could do is to bite the Captain's head off for his xenophobic and slanderous words about my people then feed his corpse to his targ.

Ssaruman, very nice. You expertly woven an air of mystery into this map. I'm interested and enticed. Some may complain that there is a lack of combat so soon, I will not.

Got lost and immersed in the story for the rest. Masterful touch with the rebels running over the hill and into the battle.

Overall a fantastic mission, excellent detailed maps with added exploration.
Also known as Gingie(In game) Sskald(Gates of Sto-vo-kor)
Captain
# 3
08-20-2012, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkofthenorth View Post
I'm writing this as I play you mission. I can tell just from the first map this is going to be an interesting one. You clearly have an advanced understanding of the Klingon language.

I play a Gorn, so naturally the first thing I wish I could do is to bite the Captain's head off for his xenophobic and slanderous words about my people then feed his corpse to his targ.

Ssaruman, very nice. You expertly woven an air of mystery into this map. I'm interested and enticed. Some may complain that there is a lack of combat so soon, I will not.

Got lost and immersed in the story for the rest. Masterful touch with the rebels running over the hill and into the battle.

Overall a fantastic mission, excellent detailed maps with added exploration.
Bud, that warms my heart to hear you say that. As you can see I take enormous pride in the "story". STO is more than just going with guns blazing.

I will keep doing this, because its something which is almost as fulfilling as STO.
Career Officer
# 4
08-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers View Post
Bud, that warms my heart to hear you say that. As you can see I take enormous pride in the "story". STO is more than just going with guns blazing.

I will keep doing this, because its something which is almost as fulfilling as STO.
Welcome to the Foundry Community and I am very glad to hear that from a KDF perspective. I've already recommended your mission to a few friends as well as my fellow hosts at Gates of Stovokor. Expect more plays soon.
Also known as Gingie(In game) Sskald(Gates of Sto-vo-kor)
Career Officer
Quote:
"Stray Dogs", is my first Foundry mission in that endeavor! And God willing more to come

CLICK HERE to watch the trailer!

This is my first attempt, and sadly due to the limitations of the foundry, there was much I just could not accomplish.

What I did do, I hope you enjoy!

Here are some hints to help you get the most from the episode:

Not everything is as it seems. Explore the maps, you may well stumble onto an unexpected side-arc. Alternative scenarios and choices play an important of the storyline, but to achieve this, I was unable to include it in the main storyline. Before rushing through the "main" story arc, listen to what the NPC's are telling you. They could be giving you clues of what to do next!

I wish I could reward the players in some way for completing tasks, but alas simply knowing that you saved the day will have to suffice!

Notes:

If there is one thing more than anything I would like to see included in the Foundry tool, it would be the ability to include side-arc missions, and special rewards for individual tasks. Did I mention more assets?
Klingon Mission - Stray Dogs
Author: drkfrontiers
Allegiance: Klingon
Project ID: ST-HD74U4ZHP

----------Report Start-----------

Summary: This is a great mission with good map design, glorious battles, and excellent story dialogue throughout. Your story drew me in and kept me thoroughly riveted all the way through. If as you say this is your first mission, then I must say you did a fantastic job in creating it. I would highly recommend this mission to all players who love a good Klingon story with several glorious battles and an excellent story.

Below are a couple of items I noted while playing the mission. I wanted to let you know about them. None of them are show stoppers or impede it in anyway.

Mission Description: This is a good description. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this description.

Grant Mission Dialogue: This is a good grant dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue.

Mission Task: I noted the location of the first custom map from your description but you should add it to the initial mission task. You want to make sure the player can find where to start. I noted no spelling errors with this task.

Mission Entry Prompt: This is a good use of the prompt. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this prompt.

MAPS:
House of Sepich: This is a good map design with a fun battle and excellent story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

Departure from Qo'noS: This is a good map design with excellent story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted one item to consider changing:
-Consider placing the spawn point closer to the Qo'noS Orbital Command. The distance seemed unnecessary to the story.

Somewhere in the B'Moth Sector: This is a good map design with excellent story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted one item to consider changing:
-Consider adding a "Skip Puzzle" button or something along those lines. Puzzles can be interesting for some and not for others.

Abandoned Doqcha Station: This is a great map design with glorious battles and excellent story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

B'Moth Sector: This is an excellent map design with glorious battles and well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

Qo'noS: This is a good map design with very well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

Gila IV: This is a good map design with well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

The Imperial Residence on Gila IV: This is a great map design with glorious battles and excellent story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

Battle of Gila IV: This is a great map design with several glorious battles and well written dialogue. This is a good wrap up to an epic mission. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

---------End Report----------

Thanks again for authoring and for giving me the chance to review your work. You did a great job developing this mission. I look forward to playing/reviewing more of your work in the future. Keep up the great work.
Brian

This critique report also filed 08/23/2012 on forum posting for: In depth mission reports upon request.
If you would like a detailed review of your mission please visit my forum posting "In depth mission reports upon request" for details.
Captain
# 6 Thanks!!!
08-24-2012, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil70th View Post
Klingon Mission - Stray Dogs
Author: drkfrontiers
Allegiance: Klingon
Project ID: ST-HD74U4ZHP

----------Report Start-----------

Summary: This is a great mission with good map design, glorious battles, and excellent story dialogue throughout. Your story drew me in and kept me thoroughly riveted all the way through. If as you say this is your first mission, then I must say you did a fantastic job in creating it. I would highly recommend this mission to all players who love a good Klingon story with several glorious battles and an excellent story.

Below are a couple of items I noted while playing the mission. I wanted to let you know about them. None of them are show stoppers or impede it in anyway.

Mission Description: This is a good description. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this description.

Grant Mission Dialogue: This is a good grant dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue.

Mission Task: I noted the location of the first custom map from your description but you should add it to the initial mission task. You want to make sure the player can find where to start. I noted no spelling errors with this task.

Mission Entry Prompt: This is a good use of the prompt. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this prompt.

MAPS:
House of Sepich: This is a good map design with a fun battle and excellent story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

Departure from Qo'noS: This is a good map design with excellent story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted one item to consider changing:
-Consider placing the spawn point closer to the Qo'noS Orbital Command. The distance seemed unnecessary to the story.

Somewhere in the B'Moth Sector: This is a good map design with excellent story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted one item to consider changing:
-Consider adding a "Skip Puzzle" button or something along those lines. Puzzles can be interesting for some and not for others.

Abandoned Doqcha Station: This is a great map design with glorious battles and excellent story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

B'Moth Sector: This is an excellent map design with glorious battles and well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

Qo'noS: This is a good map design with very well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

Gila IV: This is a good map design with well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

The Imperial Residence on Gila IV: This is a great map design with glorious battles and excellent story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

Battle of Gila IV: This is a great map design with several glorious battles and well written dialogue. This is a good wrap up to an epic mission. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

---------End Report----------

Thanks again for authoring and for giving me the chance to review your work. You did a great job developing this mission. I look forward to playing/reviewing more of your work in the future. Keep up the great work.
Brian

This critique report also filed 08/23/2012 on forum posting for: In depth mission reports upon request.
I've certainly taking all your advice to heart and have updated the file.

Reading through other reviews and also noticed that some folk were just not getting the most from the mission due to the fact that I focused heavily on replayability and a non-linear format.

I guess, if you are not use to looking for the "story" it can become somewhat frustrating. I thought I had left enough clues, but some folks were still getting lost

So I have updated the file with:
  • Although side arcs are still present, they do not impede the main storyline from being played out. In some cases they were either both included, or included as part of the "main".
  • I included an interesting tidbit of "Gorn Lore" segment on Gila IV.
  • I also updated the Abandoned base with some FX to give the player the feeling of "we better get the hell outta here fast!" . All I can say, this allows the player to feel like they have affected something, as they complete the tasks.
  • Alot of people were asking if there is a follow-on. Yes! As you can see in the storyline, alot of the mystery remains unanswered, allowing me future arcs.

Again thanks for the encouragement!

And yes, I am working on another KDF episode heralding the imprisonment on Rura Penthe of a war hero and his breakout. A Klingon take on the "The Undiscovery Country"

Last edited by drkfrontiers; 08-24-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Career Officer
# 7
08-24-2012, 02:47 PM
Quote:
I've certainly taking all your advice to heart and have updated the file.

Reading through other reviews and also noticed that some folk were just not getting the most from the mission due to the fact that I focused heavily on replayability and a non-linear format.

I guess, if you are not use to looking for the "story" it can become somewhat frustrating. I thought I had left enough clues, but some folks were still getting lost

So I have updated the file with:
  • Although side arcs are still present, they do not impede the main storyline from being played out. In some cases they were either both included, or included as part of the "main".
  • I included an interesting tidbit of "Gorn Lore" segment on Gila IV.
  • I also updated the Abandoned base with some FX to give the player the feeling of "we better get the hell outta here fast!" . All I can say, this allows the player to feel like they have affected something, as they complete the tasks.
  • Alot of people were asking if there is a follow-on. Yes! As you can see in the storyline, alot of the mystery remains unanswered, allowing me future arcs.

Again thanks for the encouragement!

And yes, I am working on another KDF episode heralding the imprisonment on Rura Penthe of a war hero and his breakout. A Klingon take on the "The Undiscovery Country"
As always, glad I could help. You did a great job with this mission. Keep up the great work.

Thanks for authoring,
Brian
If you would like a detailed review of your mission please visit my forum posting "In depth mission reports upon request" for details.
Career Officer
# 8
12-09-2012, 06:34 PM
I was very much looking forward to playing this mission, but sadly cannot find it in the search anywhere