Lt. Commander
# 21
11-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWon View Post
Wow! I love these You not a real Trek Fan articles.

Personally I can care less that they are milking the combat part of this game. If you are going to sale this. You need to show the most exciting part off. Like in a movie trailer. I just hope in the future people think before they make dumb statements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorcha
Notice the guy who wrote that doesn't actually watch DS9....the Klingons didn't break the Khitomer Accords to go fight the Romulans, it was the Cardassians.
Perhaps he read your comment, because he's corrected it now. Or maybe a "real Trek fan" corrected him on it. Though, he also mentioned that "Worf struggled to understand [Klingons]." Really? Worf -a Klingon- doesn't understand Klingons? He's the guy everyone on the Enterprise goes to in order that they can understand Klingons. He gives Riker inside info about Klingon culture so Riker doesn't get killed in the exchange program.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortik View Post
The author has not understood what star trek really stands for....

I'm realy astonished how many of you think this is a great article and my whish for more then one server has become bigger then ever.

and by the way i'm not against cryptics focus on combat this is simply a compromise to playability, fun and the game type MMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa-Kara View Post
exactly my opinion ^^
The above pretty much is similar to my take on this article. The author creates a poorly typed article but concentrates on the most simple thing to understand in an MMO: combat. He isn't even aware of what people's true concerns are about. Cryptic stated that "Where possible, the game will provide non-violent ways to resolve conflicts," and yet they have shown nothing that supports this. Aside from the character creation video, all the videos show combat, most of which are in space.

The article itself fails in quality and I would be surprised if the author went to college and received better than a C (2.0) in his English class(es).

I wonder if we're ever going to see a review that talks about the diplomatic side of STO instead of others that sum up STO as "Pew pew in space. Pew pew on land"?
Lt. Commander
# 22
11-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerwolf55 View Post
so if star trek isnt about conflict then what is it about??? lol if your gonna bash validate your reason some
Go and watch some episodes... but considering your username it's no use.

There is not one episode which is completely about conflict, sure there are some episodes about war or even armed conflict but its always shown as something really bad and most of the conflicts are not solved by force but with talks and diplomacy.
Lt. Commander
# 23
11-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Quote:

There is not one episode which is completely about conflict, sure there are some episodes about war or even armed conflict but its always shown as something really bad and most of the conflicts are not solved by force but with talks and diplomacy.
diplomacy IS conflict, i assume you mean combat
Lt. Commander
# 24
11-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Quote:
The author has not understood what star trek really stands for and i think he must have seen star wars or bsg instead of star trek or maybe he is simply retarded.
My, my, what a compelling counterargument. I'll see if I can address some of your concerns.

Quote:
And from what I understand, STO is not "completely" about conflict either, it just has that as its focus...just like the shows.

What leads you to believe that STO is not portraying war as "really bad"? What is your point with that statement, for that matter?

As for most of the conflicts not being solved by force, I think you need to go spend a few weeks watching the episodes, and see how many times somebody had to fire phasers or throw a punch to get rid of the Villain of the Week. Better yet, I'll do it; I think it would be fun to have a concrete number of how many episodes didn't require force, because I'm fairly confident the number would be next to nothing.

Quote:
and by the way i'm not against cryptics focus on combat this is simply a compromise to playability, fun and the game type MMO
I'm glad we agree.
Lt. Commander
# 25
11-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Nerresand...offense and defense combat situations arenīt the same...STO will force the offense Part...thats the point...
Lt. Commander
# 26
11-24-2009, 03:01 PM
so i dont want to be a klingon or part of the federation i want to be a romulan or a reman and what about the cardassian,breen or the dominion
Lt. Commander
# 27
11-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiencer View Post
Nerresand...offense and defense combat situations arenīt the same...STO will force the offense Part...thats the point...
Every combat situation involves offense and defense; I'm having trouble understanding what you mean. Could you please clarify?
Lt. Commander
# 28
11-24-2009, 04:08 PM
yeah im kinda confused on that too. Do u mean that the quests force us to kill or be killed?
Lt. Commander
# 29
11-24-2009, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbutt
so i dont want to be a klingon or part of the federation i want to be a romulan or a reman and what about the cardassian,breen or the dominion
No can do.
I would much rather be a Romulan myself. We can hope for these in later additions, but as of launch, no.

Personally, I would have thought that either three factions (adding Romulan) or having five factions (Ferengi and Cardassian) would have been a better approach, but I suppose creating societies for them as well may have taken up to a year.
Lt. Commander
# 30
11-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Quote:

well based off how the 1/3 or whatever of this forum who dont enjoy conflict you guys are very aggressive and quick to go to conflict when people act civil if your going to defend the idea that conflict and combat are not the way to go you should first cool off