Lt. Commander
# 31
08-22-2012, 08:52 AM
I have no plans to sue anyone (Oh noes, call the hypocrisy Police againz!!1!!) but I don't see a future for this revenue model due to how much crossover it has with gambling and it's going to fall under some heavy scrutiny at some point.

Don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather see better quality content in the store then the company relying on a random lock box gimmick that gets swept away by some politician's election promises in a year's time. Had another browse through the C-Store yesterday, nothing of interest for my Ferasan at all.
Starfleet Veteran
# 32
08-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by palpha3clearance View Post
I agree with the op... Some state attorney general is going to that legal precedent on things like this, it may not be spelled out with in the law, but it falls with in the spirit of the law. Thus leading to a class action suit, further more prohibiting such marketing / sales by penalty of law. It will happen eventually.

This being said I would predict California or Arizona to look at first due to consumer complaints as intent to defraud consumers. Usually it takes only the consumers feeling of being defrauded, because it is the Sellers to spell out the terms and conditions of the sale to expressly advise consumers as to what and how they are buying, without such terms spelled out to be easily interpreted up on sale the seller may be held liable for any confusion or misunderstanding of terms of sale.

Just saying....
Here we go again....

No State Attorney General is going to touch this. Know why? Because unlike you, they are actual attorneys and know how to read and interpret laws.

Let me break a few things down for you (again) because you still seem to not understand how lockboxes work and why they are perfectly legal.

1.) Courts don't decide cases based on the "spirit of the law." they decide cases based on the law as written and the facts presented to them.

2.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by palpha3clearance View Post
Usually it takes only the consumers feeling of being defrauded, because it is the Sellers to spell out the terms and conditions of the sale to expressly advise consumers as to what and how they are buying, without such terms spelled out to be easily interpreted up on sale the seller may be held liable for any confusion or misunderstanding of terms of sale.
Not even close to reality. Consumer protection laws in most states require the consumer to demonstrate actual harm from a fradulent sale, not some vague feeling of being defrauded. If some vague feeling of being defrauded was the determinant, Starbucks would have been sued out of existence years ago because hey - $7 for a cup of coffee sure feels like a rip-off to me.

3.) You buy a key to unlock the box and you know exactly what the contents of the box are going to be before you open it: The box will contain at least X and Y, and also a very small chance that it will contain bonus Z.

Since you are gauranteed X and Y, then you got exactly what you paid for. If you are super lucky and also get Z, well - great. But you were told you were only gauranteed to get X and Y. You buying the key and then opening the box was your decision, based on your own economic analysis. No defrauding took place. No one made you purchase a key based on the promise of getting Z.

In every single lockbox thread you bring these crazy legal arguments up that have no basis in reality. Forum lawyers are hillarious.
Career Officer
# 33
08-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam73 View Post

In every single lockbox thread you bring these crazy legal arguments up that have no basis in reality. Forum lawyers are hillarious.
Are you a real life lawyer?
Captain
# 34
08-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
Lawyers don't usually admit to being lawyers because they don't want to include disclaimers with every post stating they're not giving legal advice in the post.
Career Officer
# 35
08-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Oh god this thread again.
Every few months some idiot newbie to the forums makes some thread about legal action against PWE or Cryptic over lockboxes.

Are your lives so pathetic and meaningless that you're going to waste all this energy over something so unimportant?

Seriously, get a life and stop playing video games if they get you this worked up over nothing.

There are way more important issues on this planet to spend precious energy on.

Joined August 2009
Career Officer
# 36
08-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Got to the first entry, saw how hilariously wrong it was, didn't bother with the rest of the article. The writer can't be bothered to learn the rather simple difference between gambling and lockboxes. It's not a "twisted yoga lesson of logic." It's as simple as this:

Lockboxes always give you something. Gambling doesn't.

Where the yoga logic comes in is when the lockbox = gambling crowd start trying to argue past this.
Lt. Commander
# 37
08-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Or they make you think you are getting something when the item is actually worthless or little value. The trick is not what you get at the lower parts of the loot table, but the big prizes that have a tiny drop rate. So you spend more on "just one more key" trying to get the bigger prize. MMO's have been doing this for a long time, but now it involves real money. You don't open boxes for a low tier item, you open them to have a shot at the big prize.

Even if you don't agree, definitions change and I expect the term gambling to be modified in the coming years to cover the current workarounds applied by gaming companies to circumvent any laws. The process has started already.

You can throw as many insults and derogatory posts as you want. They won't work.
Starfleet Veteran
# 38
08-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
Ha. I plead the 5th.
Rihannsu
# 39
08-22-2012, 12:11 PM
I should point out that you are able to use lockboxes without spending a cent of real money. in fact I almost never have to buy keys in the C-store. You can very easily buy all the keys you need on the exchange.
Starfleet Veteran
# 40
08-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikev View Post
You can throw as many insults and derogatory posts as you want. They won't work.
Yes, they won't work.

Because people who refuse to accept that thier argument is flawed also refuse to accept any criticism of the defense of their flawed arguments.

Its the vicious circle of the I-am-always-right-despite-evidence-to-the-contrary forum poster.
Closed Thread