Starfleet Veteran
# 1 The Regent and Dual Beam Banks
08-21-2012, 09:34 PM
My usual image and practice for the Regent has been for a Broadside machine with added torp support. With 6 arrays front and back, the wide-torpedo aft, and a quantum up front, the enemy generally sees my side more often than anything else.

I was just wondering however, how effective using more dual beam banks would be, in a forward-heavy cruiser design.

My idea:

Fore: 3x Dual Beam banks + Quantum (or wide-angle quantum)
Aft: 3x Beam arrays + wide-angle quantum (or mines or standard quantum)

The approach I imagine with the following setup is to charge a target head-on, firing beams and torps, then either snake away to bring rear weapons to bear or use them to back-attack while I turn around.

Using beam arrays instead of turrets avoids the weapon-mixing problem (and tac-slot limit), and allows me to use Fire At Will (which AFAIK is arrays-only), while the DBBs have higher DPS and allow me to make better use of Beam Overload (should I decide to slot it in).

What do you think? Will a setup like this work? Also, will it drain less power than the 6-array setup?
Captain
# 2
08-21-2012, 10:22 PM
It'll drain less power, but then what? I think DBBs are 1/3 more damage than a beam array, so head on it would be like 4 BAs plus a torp, so still less than the normal 6-beam broadside. And in exchange to the sides and rear you're just 3 beams and the wide-angle torp. So where's your kill zone anymore? You could do it, I just don't see what the advantages you'd gain, other than a slightly better head-on approach at the cost or your main killing power.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
08-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginamala78 View Post
It'll drain less power, but then what? I think DBBs are 1/3 more damage than a beam array, so head on it would be like 4 BAs plus a torp, so still less than the normal 6-beam broadside. And in exchange to the sides and rear you're just 3 beams and the wide-angle torp. So where's your kill zone anymore? You could do it, I just don't see what the advantages you'd gain, other than a slightly better head-on approach at the cost or your main killing power.
Thanks for the advice. I didn't have the stats available to me at the time so it was an idle thought.

Speaking which, in which kinds of builds/ships are DBB's viable as a main weapon anyway? Are they ever?
Captain
# 4
08-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
Thanks for the advice. I didn't have the stats available to me at the time so it was an idle thought.

Speaking which, in which kinds of builds/ships are DBB's viable as a main weapon anyway? Are they ever?
They can be. I have a sci ship running a DBB, 2 quantum torps, and 3 turrets, works pretty well. Or an all beam Excelsior thats 2 DBB 2 BA fore, 4 BA aft. Gives me an extra-punch approach, a standard broadside, and one heck of a FAW display. All 8 beams going off together though makes me thankful for Nadion Inversion though, as the power drain cuts into the low 70s (even with EPTW-1 running) otherwise.
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
08-22-2012, 08:08 AM
Dual Beam Arrays work pretty well with Fire at Will lll and a torpedo launcher, it is easier to keep weapon power up, even using Fire at Will and a torpedo launcher with Torpedo Spread will also help.

It performs pretty well in fleet missions and STFs, the only downside might be, that you are aggroing practically everything, so your tank should be prepared to handle it.

Last edited by ascaladar; 08-22-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Career Officer
# 6
08-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascaladar View Post
Dual Beam Arrays work pretty well with Fire at Will lll and a torpedo launcher, it is easier to keep weapon power up, even Fire at Will and a torpedo launcher with Torpedo Spread will also help.

It performs pretty well in fleet missions and STFs, the only downside might be, that you are aggroing practically everything, so your tank should be prepared to handle it.
Definitely - I use Fire at Will on my T5 Bellerophon, but usually only when I know that my Ablative Armor Console is available to use afterward! Fire at Will - Ablative Generator - Torpedo Spread - EVASIVE!

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
08-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascaladar View Post
Dual Beam Arrays work pretty well with Fire at Will lll
Do you mean beam BANKS or beam ARRAYS? Because I thought Fire At Will doesn't work with Beam Banks...
Ensign
# 8
08-23-2012, 12:06 AM
I do like atleast one dual beam for BA: O as the overload yields are better. I try to avoid a dual beam-centric build on cruisers though. Even ones as agile as the regent. Boadside still the best strat w/ a cruiser imo.
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
08-23-2012, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
Do you mean beam BANKS or beam ARRAYS? Because I thought Fire At Will doesn't work with Beam Banks...
Fire at Will works great with beam banks and due to the smaller arc more focused on less targets.
Lieutenant
# 10
08-23-2012, 05:53 AM
It seems to me that unless you're going to run a full array boat for broadside action that placing turrets on the rear would be a wise decision. DBB's would be fine with turrets on the back. That way when you are charging in with the DBB's your rear weapons are hitting them too.