Captain
# 1 No More Precision Map Making
08-21-2012, 11:42 PM
I went back into the foundry today and noticed something I regard as EXTREMELY bad: You can no longer set pieces to exact locations. It does some weird "rounding" thing when you try (to rather bizarre values I might add) and so detailed custom maps are now all but impossible to create. Nice cryptic--out-freaking standing job of taking a good concept like the foundry and "fixing" it into oblivion.

Oh, and cryptic, don't think I didn't notice that 8 of the 20 foundry slots I PAID FOR have been stripped from my account. I'd put a ticket in but I am quite confident you don't even look at them. I have tickets nearly a year old that were never responded to.

Last edited by ajstoner; 08-22-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Career Officer
# 2
08-21-2012, 11:43 PM
ajs calm down The exact location thing can be handled. The snap to grid is now on as default. Once you turn it off you can put stuff in more precise locations. It's at the top of the map interface.
Captain
# 3
08-21-2012, 11:49 PM
You know what? I don't even care. I'm still pissed about the slots and the lame excuse of an "update" we got after all that bother. This shoddy, "#### you customer scum" attitude is why I'm no longer a paid subscriber and don't expect to be again. I think I need a nice long break from STO; all I seem to get out of it lately is annoyed.

Last edited by ajstoner; 08-21-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
08-22-2012, 05:58 AM
Um guys, you can still do it... unfortunately you have to KNOW to do this.

By default, and every time you log into the Foundry, you have to do the following to have things 'the way they used to be:'

1)Unclick all 3 icons on the top right of the map editor - These are turned on by default now, and that is what is causing your rounding issue.

2)While in the map editor, goto the menus at the top, I believe its edit, but I am not in the editor right now to verify the correct pulldown name. There is a option for mouse controls, you can change between either the new multiselect option, or 'Foundry Classic' where you can move the map via mouse.
Captain
# 5
08-22-2012, 06:11 AM
From the June Ask Cryptic:

Quote:
Dstahl: Well that depends on what you define as ?major?. In Season 6 we are making a massive overhaul of the underlying code that makes the Foundry work, but my expectation is that players are not going to deem this as a ?major? change.
You fall into the group Dstahl Predicted. And there are a lot of us that don't. If you are getting mad about this, and think the most Dev Contact and the most painless season transfer we've had to date is a "#### you customer scum" attitude, then perhaps you are right and may benefit from a break.

Things are different, but that's because they are still working on it and adding things. Did it ever occur to you the reason snap to grid is on by default is that it's for the individual room construction maps that were just previewed for the Neverwinter Foundry? We're now at the same base coding level as that system after all, those features may be soon to come.

But then again, someone just said in a nice voice; "Relax, there is no problem here," and your response was "I don't care, I'm making it a problem anyways."
Rihannsu
# 6
08-22-2012, 06:16 AM
Oooh! thanks! but I kinda got used to having to scroll the hard way.

I don't get snap to grid... it uses strange numbers for something that aligns things to a "grid"... I don't like it. so I leave it off, permanently. Snap to angle is cool, most of the time, I don't rotate things that often. When I do, a 90? rotation is usually what I want. The overlay for showing quest areas doesn't bother me so I ignore it.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 7
08-22-2012, 08:18 AM
I had a very similar reaction. Making snap to grid as default is yet another example of demanding that we have tribal knowledge to realize that what appears as screwy is screwy by default.

We have to turn snap to grid and the other stuff (that we never asked for) off. I just wish we also had a button to turn the damn icons off.
Captain
# 8
08-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Don't get me wrong, a way to set our own preferences would be nice and expect it sometime.

But, I still think the reason snap to grid is default is because Neverwinter Foundry is already supporting the snap to place build a map setup. I expect when STO based assets are constructed we'll get that soon too and this will all make a lot more sense.
Career Officer
# 9
08-22-2012, 09:37 AM
It does make sense that the snap to grid is for the new room thing in the NW Foudnry. markhawkman has a point though when he says that they're really strange numbers instead of whole numbers. I did look at this in the videos and the NW Foundry doesn't have this problem.
Captain
# 10
08-22-2012, 12:31 PM
This is all theoretical guessing mind you, so take for what it's worth. (Pretty much nothing)

All the maps we're using are premades and I seem to recall from one of the coordinate discussion topics a Dev saying the coordinate center points are... "unique"... from map to map. That or we are actually using different number values than the map itself. Hence the crazy math of dividing by 47 and multiplying by pi.

I'd put my money down on the create a layout thing being a separate map that uses "more true" values that haven't undergone that strange and magic math and would make more sense.

But yeah, that's just a guess. I suspect we'll find out eventually.